The Student Room Group
Reply 1
So far it's been ok actually. I was expecting it to be moving a lot quicker if I'm honest, but maybe it just seems slower because I had the foresight to learn the kana before I started. I think it would seem easier if my main teacher wasn't a completely random nuthead. So far so good though. I got 95% in my first test so I feel all clever and whatnot :biggrin:
Sian, which language are you doing?

I'm doing Mandarin Chinese (as a kind of side thing really, but it's taking 20 credits up). It's quite fast-paced, which I love! We learn quite a lot in one lesson! Since we've started, we've had 4 lessons so far (so that's six hours) and we've learnt greetings, restaurant ordering, asking about family, askinf someone's nationality.. and about 30-40 characters! (and probably some other stuff which I can't remember).

I have an oral test at the end of the semester methinks.. see how that goes :biggrin:
Reply 3
Check her signature to see what she's doing :wink:
Reply 4
I'm absolutely loving my ab-initio italian course, finding it really fun and rewarding when i realise that i've learnt 20+ new words each lesson! :smile:
I'm loving Spanish :biggrin: It's an ab initio class, but there's a really wide mix, with some people who've spent time abroad, some (like me) who've done GCSE and some complete beginners. At the moment, I'm still quite far ahead and it's like being in Year 7 again, what with learning the alphabet and numbers and singing songs, so the lessons are really fun. I also found out we don't have an oral exam this year, which I am unbelievably happy about!
Reply 6
kellywood_5
I'm loving Spanish :biggrin: It's an ab initio class, but there's a really wide mix, with some people who've spent time abroad, some (like me) who've done GCSE and some complete beginners. At the moment, I'm still quite far ahead and it's like being in Year 7 again, what with learning the alphabet and numbers and singing songs, so the lessons are really fun. I also found out we don't have an oral exam this year, which I am unbelievably happy about!

Damn you!!! :smile:
Reply 7
beeboo
Damn you!!! :smile:

1st year italian oral exam = easy! :biggrin:

2nd year, thought it was going to be easy, thought it went really well, got 58%, turned out to be my worst mark in anything. :mad:
Reply 8
Oh god, kill me now!

It's German i'm dreading! I honestly don't know how i'm going to pass in German, havent done it in a year and nothing's coming back to me!!!
I :suith: :suith: :suith: Italian...and I've only had one class and didn't understand half of it but it completely rules :smile:

...Russian on the other hand is evil :p: - so glad to be free
Reply 10
I'm enjoying Japanese a lot. It's intense, but not exceptionally difficult really. I'd say it's the difference between being kept busy and being overwhelmed. The teachers make it fun though, they're completely insane but they're helpful and friendly (though some look scary...) This week we're already learning our second lot of 20 kanji and it's so much easier than I thought it'd be. Now I just wish I could remember how to form coherent sentences, I know the words, I know the particles, but the word order sometimes seems a little beyond me at the moment :biggrin:
I love Italian! So far the pace hasn't been too quick and it's really rewarding realising how much we've learned in only 2 weeks... I'd been having doubts as to whether I'd made the right decision doing a langauge from scratch before I camer to uni, but atm it's by far my favourite lesson :smile:
Reply 12
wyrdness
I'm enjoying Japanese a lot. It's intense, but not exceptionally difficult really. I'd say it's the difference between being kept busy and being overwhelmed. The teachers make it fun though, they're completely insane but they're helpful and friendly (though some look scary...) This week we're already learning our second lot of 20 kanji and it's so much easier than I thought it'd be. Now I just wish I could remember how to form coherent sentences, I know the words, I know the particles, but the word order sometimes seems a little beyond me at the moment :biggrin:

Where are you studying? I applied for Japanese this year :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending