The Student Room Group

NLCS 6th Form?

Hi guys!

I applied for NLCS and passed both the exams and the interviews so have got a place in the school. I just wanted to know whether anyone else got a place so we can chat and stuff..? I know that only 20-25 girls got a place though so yeah.

Also, even if you haven't applied or you did and you didn't get in, please tell me your thoughts on the school or any info you may have.

AND! If you currently go to the school now I would love to ask a couple questions about the school so don't be a stranger!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hello :smile:

Congratulations on getting in, I always think it's hardest to get in at 16+, I've attended NLCS since 11+. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I'm currently in Y13, so probably will be able to answer most questions :smile:
Reply 2
Oh thanks! I've been wanting to ask SO many questions and since I don't really live close to the school I don't have anyone to ask. I'll just list a bunch for now.

1. What subjects do you take?

2. Do you like your school?

3. Are there enough sufficient study spaces in the school?

4. How many people generally do the IB?

5. Is the canteen good?

6. Are the students friendly?

7. What is the induction day like?

Sorry for the sheer amount of questions :frown: you don't have to answer them all if you don't want to. I am planning on taking the IB: HL Chemistry, Biology and Philosophy then SL Maths, English and French. If you can also tell me anything about those subjects that would be great! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Also, do the teachers require you to get specific stationery (binders, notebooks, etc) or are you given this freedom?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
No worries, I'm more than happy to answer as many questions as you need to ask xD

Let me PM you the answers, since it's pretty long. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
You don't need to prepare ringbinders - those you'll get. You'll need a GDC (graphical display calculator) since you do IB Maths but don't fret, the school will tell you when to buy one, and usually they get a good price compared to outside since they buy in bulk. All you really need in terms of stationery is just pens, pencils, ruler, rubber, the usual. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ranti100
Hi guys!

I applied for NLCS and passed both the exams and the interviews so have got a place in the school. I just wanted to know whether anyone else got a place so we can chat and stuff..? I know that only 20-25 girls got a place though so yeah.

Also, even if you haven't applied or you did and you didn't get in, please tell me your thoughts on the school or any info you may have.

AND! If you currently go to the school now I would love to ask a couple questions about the school so don't be a stranger!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heyy,
Can you please tell me about the interviews? Did they ask questions based on subject knowledge and stuff we have learnt in school or is it just general questions? Are there any tricky questions that I must know? I got passed the entrance exams and are now preparing for the interviews.
Please give me some advice on what to prepare on.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Hey, I know you posted this a while ago, but im applying this year and was wondering if the exams were GCSE level?
Original post by megan_tb
hey there same, i am aware this was posted a while ago, i will be applying later this year, i was wondering if the exams (both GCSE and the 16 plus exams) were similar in terms of difficulty and how much knowledge do you need to know as well as critical thinking? I want to take Biology, Chemistry and Maths so any advice would be much appreciated! :smile:))

Heyy, I'm actually starting at nlcs in september for sixthform. I just wanted to let u know the exams aren't deep at allll like you don't need to worry about revising now. I am not that smart and i started revising the weekend before (for physics chemistry and maths) and i got my place! it really isn't too different from GCSE. i didnt even apply until the last day. hope this helps xx
Original post by buoynancy
Heyy, I'm actually starting at nlcs in september for sixthform. I just wanted to let u know the exams aren't deep at allll like you don't need to worry about revising now. I am not that smart and i started revising the weekend before (for physics chemistry and maths) and i got my place! it really isn't too different from GCSE. i didnt even apply until the last day. hope this helps xx

and roughly in terms of grades is it mostly straight 8s and 9s right for predicted?
Original post by megan_tb
thank you sooo muchhh it did, congratulations and i wish u luck when starting in sixth form, one last q if u dont mind, when they say core knowledge when i am doing the exams, I wouldn't have learnt everything in the bio chem or maybe even maths course for gcse so it would be on stuff that i have already learnt, but harder if that makes any sense. thanks :smile:

there will be a mix of familiar and unfamiliar because schools all learn in different orders so you have the same chance as anyone else at knowing or not knowing content.
Original post by buoynancy
there will be a mix of familiar and unfamiliar because schools all learn in different orders so you have the same chance as anyone else at knowing or not knowing content.

oh ok thank you so much, this really really helped and once again congrats and i wish u luck! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending