The Student Room Group

Pressure loss through a 90 degree bend

Hi so I've basically got some work to do where I have to calculate the pressure loss of a flow through 90 degree bends...however I've been searching and searching and have not managed to find a definitive equation for this. I've found many sources stating it is some form of coefficient involved, however in order to find the value of this coefficient the bend radius is required, which we were not told. If any one could help me that would be great...I'm kind stuck.
Original post by podrodow1
Hi so I've basically got some work to do where I have to calculate the pressure loss of a flow through 90 degree bends...however I've been searching and searching and have not managed to find a definitive equation for this. I've found many sources stating it is some form of coefficient involved, however in order to find the value of this coefficient the bend radius is required, which we were not told. If any one could help me that would be great...I'm kind stuck.

As you've found, the pressure drop will usually just be given via a coefficient, which depends on the radius of the bend. Are you sure you are interpreting the question correctly? Could you maybe post it for us to see?
Often approximate values are given in literature; do you have a copy of Perry's lying around?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks for your help guys but I found out that we had infact been given the minor loss coefficient in previous lecture notes...seems I didn't notice this. Thanks a lot anyway!
Reply 4
Original post by addylad
Often approximate values are given in literature; do you have a copy of Perry's lying around?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I've just come across another query and was wondering if you could help as you seem to know about this. I'm basically doing a lab report and have measured the pressure losses occurring through different pipe fittings etc. This included measuring the pressure loss across an entire venturi meter and and to the throat of the venturi meter. Now, from my results I'm seeing that the pressure loss across the entire pipe is less than the pressure loss to just the throat of the venturi meter...is there any chance you can explain why this is? Cheers
Hey I've just come across another query and was wondering if you could help as you seem to know about this. I'm basically doing a lab report and have measured the pressure losses occurring through different pipe fittings etc. This included measuring the pressure loss across an entire venturi meter and and to the throat of the venturi meter. Now, from my results I'm seeing that the pressure loss across the entire pipe is less than the pressure loss to just the throat of the venturi meter...is there any chance you can explain why this is? Cheers

If I understand you correctly, you are measuring from the entrance to the Venturi meter to the exit of the Venturi meter, and from the entrance to the throat. You are wondering why the first case has a lower pressure drop than the second case. Is that correct?

Anyway, I will answer your question as I understand it.

The pressure drops at the throat, because if we are assuming steady state operation, then as the pipe narrows the fluid must have to increase in velocity to compensate for the lower cross-sectional area to flow through. Note that due to conservation of mass, ρ1v1A1=ρ2v2A2\rho_1 v_1 A_1 = \rho_2 v_2 A_2. For an incompressible fluid (usually assumed) the density will remain constant and A2A_2 is smaller, so v2v_2 has to increase to maintain the same mass flowrate through the pipe.

If you look at the Bernoulli equation, if no change in elevation occurs, then the only relevant things to consider are the kinetic energy (velocity) term and the pressure term (and frictional losses). As the velocity increases, the pressure will have to decrease (conservation of energy).

Lastly, the pressure difference between the entrance and exit of the Venturi meter will be smaller because the cross-sectional areas are the same, resulting in similar energies per unit mass, save the losses due to friction from the Venturi meter (contraction/expansion) and frictional losses from the pipe wall.

Hope this helps.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by addylad
If I understand you correctly, you are measuring from the entrance to the Venturi meter to the exit of the Venturi meter, and from the entrance to the throat. You are wondering why the first case has a lower pressure drop than the second case. Is that correct?

The pressure drops at the throat, because if we are assuming steady state operation, then as the pipe narrows the fluid must have to increase in velocity to compensate for the lower cross-sectional area to flow through. Note that due to conservation of mass, ρ1v1A1=ρ2v2A2\rho_1 v_1 A_1 = \rho_2 v_2 A_2. For an incompressible fluid (usually assumed) the density will remain constant and A2A_2 is smaller, so v2v_2 has to increase to maintain the same mass flowrate through the pipe.

If you look at the Bernoulli equation, if no change in elevation occurs, then the only relevant things to consider are the kinetic energy (velocity) term and the pressure term (and frictional losses). As the velocity increases, the pressure will have to decrease (conservation of energy).

Lastly, the pressure difference between the entrance and exit of the Venturi meter will be smaller because the cross-sectional areas are the same, resulting in similar energies per unit mass, save the losses due to friction from the Venturi meter (contraction/expansion) and frictional losses from the pipe wall.

Hope this helps.

Ahhhh yeah that does make sense, thanks a lot!
Reply 7
Original post by addylad

Hope this helps.

Ok this is the last question I promise. Am I right in thinking the Reynolds number changes in the Venturi meter due to the changing pipe diameters?
Ok this is the last question I promise. Am I right in thinking the Reynolds number changes in the Venturi meter due to the changing pipe diameters?

Yes, Re=DvpμRe=\frac{Dvp}{\mu}. The diameter and the velocity of the fluid will be different between the entry and throat, in turn affecting the Reynolds number.
Reply 9
Original post by addylad
Yes, Re=DvpμRe=\frac{Dvp}{\mu}. The diameter and the velocity of the fluid will be different between the entry and throat, in turn affecting the Reynolds number.

I'd just like to add that be careful about talking about Reynolds number by changing the length dimension. I'm certainly not an expert, but I'd wager that it'd change because of velocity changes and you'd keep the length fixed based on some flow characteristic.
Original post by djpailo
I'd just like to add that be careful about talking about Reynolds number by changing the length dimension. I'm certainly not an expert, but I'd wager that it'd change because of velocity changes and you'd keep the length fixed based on some flow characteristic.

I don't follow.
Reply 11
Original post by addylad
I don't follow.

When you talk about Reynolds number in a pipe for instance, I'm guessing that you'd base the length on the diameter of the pipe. If the pipe varied along its length, would you let Reynolds number vary with diamater (as well as velocity) or would you keep the diamater fixed based on say the diameter of the pipe at the beginning and then just let the velocity vary? I'm just saying it's perculiar because I've never come across an example where you would change the length when comparing reynolds number. If you were looking at a venturi system for instance, I've seen reynolds number based on the throat diamater and not some varying diamter along its length.

In fact, even for aerofoils, Reyolds number is usually based on freestream velocity and some fixed value of the aerofoil (its chord maybe). I've never come across a situation where you'd reynolds numbers at different points in the flow along the aerofoil ..
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
One final thing, I've come to calculating the pressure loss due to the 90 degree bend but the problem is I can only find an equation in terms of head loss, which I do not want. How is it that I convert from head loss into pressure loss?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending