The Student Room Group

Art portfolios!

Has anybody got a portfolio example (preferably for Fine Art)?

I know the general advice (i.e more than just observational sketches, etc) but I'm not sure what to include in mine. I'd like to see an example to understand the amount of work to put in, how many observational sketches, whether there should be annotations or just bringing full sketchbooks along.

Can I just include school work plus a few sketches I've done at home? My life is literally schoolwork right now so it's hard to get the time to do art for pleasure.
Depends really on what type of art you're into. What I will say though is pick an area and work with it. You need to ensure your project stays on focus but still grows and doesn't become repetitive. If you deviate away too much from its actual focus you don't really have a project or strong portfolio but just a folder of work. It is obviously a portfolio but it isn't a strong one.

The best art portfolio I ever saw, which unfortunately doesn't exist anymore, was one that had been done all entirely on A3 paper and it was focused on black, white and grayscale's. That was it's focus but it put this across in so many different ways that it was incredible. Then each piece was hole punched and put into an A3 folder. The scans of the work were put up online onto a WordPress portfolio. Unfortunately that site is no longer working or the person has moved but it is still to this day one of the best things I've seen put on Reddit in terms of work.
I had my first interview today and all I put in was my best school sketchbook work (basically my coursework from last year and this year so far - which isnt that much which is annoying, not my exam work cos that was weak) and the stuff I do at home like sketches and small paintings and stuff. They ask you about artists and things so before my next interview I will probably do a random book on artist research. Where you planning on going?
Original post by betweentheclocks
Has anybody got a portfolio example (preferably for Fine Art)?

I know the general advice (i.e more than just observational sketches, etc) but I'm not sure what to include in mine. I'd like to see an example to understand the amount of work to put in, how many observational sketches, whether there should be annotations or just bringing full sketchbooks along.

Can I just include school work plus a few sketches I've done at home? My life is literally schoolwork right now so it's hard to get the time to do art for pleasure.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=974132
Original post by hannahsuxx
I had my first interview today and all I put in was my best school sketchbook work (basically my coursework from last year and this year so far - which isnt that much which is annoying, not my exam work cos that was weak) and the stuff I do at home like sketches and small paintings and stuff. They ask you about artists and things so before my next interview I will probably do a random book on artist research. Where you planning on going?

How did it go? Hope it was good! Thanks for the advice, it's nice to hear from someone who is applying this year.

Original post by Pseudocode
Depends really on what type of art you're into. What I will say though is pick an area and work with it. You need to ensure your project stays on focus but still grows and doesn't become repetitive. If you deviate away too much from its actual focus you don't really have a project or strong portfolio but just a folder of work. It is obviously a portfolio but it isn't a strong one.

The best art portfolio I ever saw, which unfortunately doesn't exist anymore, was one that had been done all entirely on A3 paper and it was focused on black, white and grayscale's. That was it's focus but it put this across in so many different ways that it was incredible. Then each piece was hole punched and put into an A3 folder. The scans of the work were put up online onto a WordPress portfolio. Unfortunately that site is no longer working or the person has moved but it is still to this day one of the best things I've seen put on Reddit in terms of work.

Thanks for the info! I was unsure about the format so I think I'll go with A2 and hole punch them so I can fit some of my A3 work on with borders, too. Do you know if sketchbooks should be brought in, too?

Thanks for this!
You can take in sketchbooks, sketchbooks are essential! :smile: and you're welcome haha

Quick Reply

Latest