The Student Room Group

Depression and getting antidepressants

Hey guys,

I've been quite depressed for a while now (going on around 8 months) but I've only really seen the doctor about it twice and the last time I did was back in May. I've been trying to get over it on my own, admittedly rather foolishly. The problem is now I've finally given in and I realise I need medical help. I've tried some cognitive therapy on my own, but not with any professional aid and I didn't really see many improvements.

Now, here's where the problem comes. The problem is I'm currently on my year abroad, so I haven't really been seeing a doctor about it for that reason. Here in France I had blood tests taken just to see whether my symptoms were due to any deficiencies or anything, but no, my bloods came back completely fine. I am registered at a GP in London (where I study) but I won't be able to pay a visit to my GP, so my mum is planning on signing me up as a temporary patient back at home in Wales where I can speak to a doctor. I'll only be home for a month before continuing with my semester abroad.

So what I would like to know really is 1) will the GP prescribe me with antidepressants since :undefined:he will not have my previous medical records which say this has been a problem before, and 2) will they actually help me (i'm referring to the GP, not antidepressants) or will they say I'm not home long enough for them to be trialled effectively etc.

Sorry for the long post!
some GPs hand out antidepressants like they're sweets, some GPs really don't like to prescribe them unless you've exhausted all options so it probably depends who you see, I know that doctors will want you to be monitored regularly while taking antidepressants when you first start so that may be a problem if you're going to be out of the country however they may also cut you some slack on wanting you to do talking therapy first since that clearly wont be practical for a while
It really depends on your situation and the GP.

The first time I went I was referred to the mental health nurse (who told me what I already knew and was no help at all) and then the doctor told me to do things to make myself feel better because I did not personally want to be on meds (I have anxiety as well, so was worried about the side effects).
I exercised, ate better, I had to force myself to do the hobbies I used to love, but nothing helped.
So I went back and was put on 20mg fluoxetine, I noticed no difference then they upped it after a month but today I still don't see a change. I was also put on beta blockers for anxiety and though they helped the anxiety, the side effects were unbearable so I had to come off them, so sometimes the meds can be worse than the illness itself, and certainly I'd rather have panic attacks than go through those side effects.

If you have exhausted all other options you may get ADs but in my case they were just used alongside counselling/therapy to give me a boost.
Like someone said before, GPs vary in their willingness to hand our antidepressants.

When I went to my doctor recently about depression, he expressed an opinion that he does not like to give out antidepressants until some kind of CBT and lifestyle changes have been attempted first. However, he did say that it was partly my choice. I think that was because I have a history of depression when I was a younger teen (around 14/15 and now 19) and he trusted my judgement on what I thought would help me. He did not have any official records to look at, just listened and took my word for it. I explained I had a pretty good lifestyle in terms of lots of friends and eating healthily etc, but still often felt extremely low, agitated, would cry over nothing for hours and shut myself away in my room physically feeling like I was unable to speak to anyone despite not actually having a clue what was wrong with my lifestyle. I think he seemed to decide that perhaps I have more of a biological disposition for depression and maybe a mood disorder or something and so handed my the antidepressant prescription there and then, as long as I promised to refer myself for CBT too or do self-therapy with books.

With most antidepressants, you will have to return to the GP a month after your first prescription to see how things are going. That may be your problem.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys,

I've been quite depressed for a while now (going on around 8 months) but I've only really seen the doctor about it twice and the last time I did was back in May. I've been trying to get over it on my own, admittedly rather foolishly. The problem is now I've finally given in and I realise I need medical help. I've tried some cognitive therapy on my own, but not with any professional aid and I didn't really see many improvements.

Now, here's where the problem comes. The problem is I'm currently on my year abroad, so I haven't really been seeing a doctor about it for that reason. Here in France I had blood tests taken just to see whether my symptoms were due to any deficiencies or anything, but no, my bloods came back completely fine. I am registered at a GP in London (where I study) but I won't be able to pay a visit to my GP, so my mum is planning on signing me up as a temporary patient back at home in Wales where I can speak to a doctor. I'll only be home for a month before continuing with my semester abroad.

So what I would like to know really is 1) will the GP prescribe me with antidepressants since :undefined:he will not have my previous medical records which say this has been a problem before, and 2) will they actually help me (i'm referring to the GP, not antidepressants) or will they say I'm not home long enough for them to be trialled effectively etc.

Sorry for the long post!

find a doc who actually cares or make the doc recommend you to a shrink. you shouldn't go on like this.

Quick Reply

Latest