The Student Room Group

Strathclyde or Glasgow University for Law (LLB)

I have unconditionals from both universities and am stuck between them! I was wondering if anyone who is currently studying law or has graduated from either of these two universities could give me some advice or general comments about their experience, in particular things like:

How approachable are the lecturers and are they helpful if you have a problem? Also how much independent study is expected outside of these?

In terms of job prospects is one better than the other?

I would be hoping to get a traineeship at a Glasgow firm so does it matter whether I go Strathclyde or Glasgow and do most recruit from a particular university?

Thanks
Glasgow uni is ranked the best in Scotland for law so I would say that one between the two!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'm currently 4th year LLB at strathclyde & would recommend it. On average you have 6 hours of lectures a week (1st-3rd year) and tutorials which you select a time from a list to attend (another 1/2 hours per week). Independent study is key; really determines how well you do. 1st-3rd year I would say a few hours a day (granted this isn't always possible but so long as you leave plenty time for assignments/exam revision you will be fine) But lecturers are in general very supportive and happy to help if you need it, as are tutors. Also have the law clinic which allows you to volunteer and develop practical legal skills to compliment your academic. I'm really not too sure if firms prefer Glasgow graduates, my experience would suggest no but I think both offer well respected LLB's.

Also, if you want to practice law the diploma at strathclyde is supposed to be considered a better experience from what I'm told, it's more practical and prepares students for traineeships etc!

Hope this helps :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending