The Student Room Group

Should Shrien Dewani have be allowed back into the UK?

After being found not guilty for the murder of his wife, he returned, via first class, to the UK.

Many believe that he did hire the hit-man and therefore should be imprisoned, however where do you stand on this?
Reply 1
I think he did it too, but that doesn't matter. The case was dropped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by esjae
After being found not guilty for the murder of his wife, he returned, via first class, to the UK.

Many believe that he did hire the hit-man and therefore should be imprisoned, however where do you stand on this?

Well considering he was found not guilty in a court of law and is a British Citizien then he should be allowed back.

As an FYI, many people believe in lizard people. Doesn't mean they exist.

or do you not want him back because he's a person of colour
Crikey, straight for the race card, three posts in.
Not bad going.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Well considering he was found not guilty in a court of law and is a British Citizien then he should be allowed back.

As an FYI, many people believe in lizard people. Doesn't mean they exist.

or do you not want him back because he's a person of colour

Don't think that's the issue here.
Original post by daisychain_
Don't think that's the issue here.

Well something's triggering the 'he's innocent but shouldn't be let back in' brigade.
Reply 6
I have nothing against him due to his colour, I have something against the fact that he could have possibly killed his new wife and is being let back into the country.

What if he does something like that again?
Original post by esjae
I have nothing against him due to his colour, I have something against the fact that he could have possibly killed his new wife and is being let back into the country.

Possibly killed her, but didn't in the eyes of the law.

We can't ban UK Citiziens on the off chance that they may have have committed a crime.
Innocent until proven guilty. We can't punish people for things they might have done.
Original post by esjae

What? Remarries and murders bride no.2?
Bit of a long shot.
Legally there's probably no possibility, and he's a British citizen. What do you suggest, that he stay in South Africa?

Original post by caravaggio2
What? Remarries and murders bride no.2?
Bit of a long shot.

Pun intended?
I don't know about jurisdictions etc but could he be open to a private prosecution or civil proceedings in this country?
Original post by esjae

Damn well that's some dangerous **** right there, any British citizen accused of a serious crime but not found guilty/case thrown out in that countries legal system should not be allowed back in because they POTENTIALLY could have actually been guilty, despite the legal system saying they weren't.

....better hope to god there's never a holidaymaker killed abroad and you vaguely match the description with a semi-corrupt police force wanting a suspect on the quick.
Original post by esjae

there are all kinds of unpleasant ideas lurking in your post. why should Mr Dewani not fly first class ? As a grieving widower who has undergone unimaginable stress he deserves compassion; you would perhaps have him walk back instead with a notice round his neck saying "I am not really innocent".
Yes- he has been found not guilty in a court of law and hence innocent. He is a citizen here and this is his home, there is no criminal offence that he has been found guilty of, and therefore no reason he cannot or should not return home
Original post by esjae

Except he was not found guilty of a crime in a court of law. For all intents and purposes he is an innocent man and he must be treated as such.
It's irrelevant whether you think he's guilty or not, the courts found him not guilty so why should he not be allowed back?
Even if he were found guilty, would you then complain when he comes back having served his time? In that instance he will have served his punishment and therefore you could say has, in the eyes of the law, atoned for him crimes.
British citizen, case dropped, what justification would there be for not letting him in?
Original post by esjae

What do you mean 'again'? A court of law found him not guilty of the first one.
Original post by esjae

If by "does something like that again" you mean "is accused of murder again", he will, again, be tried in a court of law and found either guilty, not guilty, not guilty but guilty of a smaller similar offense, or maybe (but improbably) a special verdict.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending