The Student Room Group

Which uni to pick?? Urgent

I've unbelievably narrowed down my options to 6 put need to pick only 5. I'm likely to get around ABB but unis seem to consider the Further Maths A level --which I have-- as a valuable course and lower my entry requirements.
Dundee - I chose this because of all the safe choices open to me, I liked this one the best, with BCC - BBB. they don't do MEng but I love the place and it is also quite high in the league tables for me course. It's in Scottland and I live in Wales, so I know the travel expenses --should I choose to travel home a lot-- would be high. it doesn't have a year in industry like the rest but it does have a good programme that helps you get into work placements.
Heriot-Watt ABB MEng - great course reputation and support for students is also good, according to results. Again in scottland but it's a little easier to travel home. the city of edinburgh is obviously great but the campus is quite cut off, and it doesn't appeal to me as much as the others. i'm told the student experience is great however.
Aston AAB - BBB. Living in Birmingham city, strong focus on industry and business, great reputation for my course, nice campus, close to home
Swansea - AAB - BBB I like everything except for the place, since I've seen it all before and would like to travel somewhere new. however it's an amazing course and the graduates seem to all be in work very soon after graduating
Oxford Brookes ABB - BBB good focus on employability. amazing for motorsport industry --which I have an interst to get involved in-- and nice place to live, even if it is expensive. good reputation but not as employable as the other unis listed, it seems
Brunel - AAA MEng. focus on business and industry is great and it has a great reputation for engineering. living in london so plenty to do, even if it is expensive. good support to students. i've noticed from Stats. that a lot of people were accepted onto the course with less that the required grades, which made me aim for brunel.

i know it's a personal choice but it's nice to get a little help-
Obviously, we are going to tell you to choose us and be bias. :wink: However what we can offer is the ability to have a chat with you. If you have any specific questions about Aston or Birmingham in general, we would be happy to answer them, rather than giving you the general sales spiel.
Original post by Aston University
Obviously, we are going to tell you to choose us and be bias. :wink: However what we can offer is the ability to have a chat with you. If you have any specific questions about Aston or Birmingham in general, we would be happy to answer them, rather than giving you the general sales spiel.

Oh thank you
Aston was a firm choice to be honest. How flexible are the entry requirements for masters? You ask for AAB if I'm correct, but will I have advantage with my Further Maths Alevel, an cahnce to drop the requirements? :3
Is Birmingham as bad as people seem to say?
Original post by riddleofrevenge
Oh thank you
Aston was a firm choice to be honest. How flexible are the entry requirements for masters? You ask for AAB if I'm correct, but will I have advantage with my Further Maths Alevel, an cahnce to drop the requirements? :3
Is Birmingham as bad as people seem to say?

The entry requirements are somewhat flexible, but that is always decided by admissions tutors multiple variable can play into being offered a place e.g. how popular the course is, government limits on student numbers, personal statement, extra A levels outside of the highest three. ect. ect.

As for Birmingham i've lived here 22 years and loved every minute of it, it might be a bit of a short sharp shock if you come from a rural area but everything is right on your doorstep, there is a lot to see and do. I've also never experienced crime or any hostility.

If you have anymore questions about Birmingham i'm more than happy to answer them. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest