The Student Room Group

School Doesn't garantee success

I do go school, but say i didn't do so well, but i was bright. I could still be successful right, because all the successful celebs I know dropped out after GCSE's e.g Tom Cruise, Facebook Guy, Drop box guy, alan sugar, Oprah winfrey, Bill gates,???/
Original post by zimzim40
I do go school, but say i didn't do so well, but i was bright. I could still be successful right, because all the successful celebs I know dropped out after GCSE's e.g Tom Cruise, Facebook Guy, Drop box guy, alan sugar, Oprah winfrey, Bill gates,???/

There is a very slim chance of that happening.

Also, Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard, therefore he did do well academically to get there in the first place.
But it does "guarantee" basic spelling. Oh well swings and roundabouts :smile:

Neither Zuckerberg nor Gates dropped out during the equivalent of Year 11 and both did extremely well at school. Gates got almost perfect SAT scores, had a highly prestigious scholarship and got into Harvard. He left Harvard because he felt he was beyond what he could learn there. It really irritates me when people like Gates, Zuckerberg or Einstein are used as examples of people who succeeded whilst struggling at school. All three of those people were extremely talented and very intelligent - they definitely didn't 'struggle' and if they did, it was only because they were beyond the constraints of the ordinary curriculum.

If you really are extremely bright then yes, of course you can be successful - but it's unlikely that you'd be struggling at school. If we're talking about success in a celebrity sense rather than a merit/academic sense then it's definitely possible to be 'successful' having failed at school. Indeed in modern celebrity culture, intelligence seems to be a guarantee of failure...
(edited 9 years ago)
Haha no, 3 of those people dropped out because they found Harvard and MIT too easy, one worked as a statistician straight out of high school (you need at least a bachelors to get that job now), one was active in media throughout high school and became a news co-anchor at 19. Maybe the only one left is Tom Cruise but you've got to be involved in acting from an early age to get into it really.

Maybe if you retry school and get a degree, or learn a trade or programming then you can become successful, otherwise it's highly improbable.
At the end of the day education gives you pieces of paper. What you know, and what you can do with it, are entirely different things.
Formal education teaches you a lot, but you don't have to go that route.
Either way, you have to read a lot... unfortunately
People who are famous like that tend to spend all their time on one thing. This requires good genetics, absolute perseverance, and enjoyment of what they do (necessary for perseverance). As you can see, this combination is very rare. You would know if you had it, because you would have been working on it since the age of six.

If you aren't of that type, you can still do amazing things - of course - but it's harder to turn your life around than it is to just get the A-levels. Don't make things hard for yourself unnecessarily!
Reply 8
All these people probably had their ideas before they left. If they left without having them I really doubt they'd be anywhere right now
Reply 9
But, My name is Dean Chapman
Reply 10
But, My name is Dean Chapman, look me up
Reply 11
It's best to get good grades just in case, cos it's more likely that you'd be stuck on benefits or in a dead end job than get rich :smile:

Society's views on this have changed hugely, becoming more focused about achieving certain grades and qualifications. Also, 'Facebook guy' Mark Zuckerberg studied at Harvard University where him and the co-founders created Facebook.

Quick Reply

Latest