The Student Room Group

Rejecting an offer on UCAS 'etiquette'?

I've just been to an interview today which I'm pretty sure will result in getting an offer (they pretty much confirmed everyone who was there, would get an offer). However I've just recieved an offer from my favoured University.
Should I notify the interview-Uni that I'm no longer interested and to offer my place to someone else?

Honestly all of the other offers are pretty much in the can after my first choice has become available, and I have no clue whether I should just let UCAS do it or if I should turn them down personally (as to possibly let other students get a chance). Not sure how it works.

Thanks in advice, feeling baffled..
The best etiquette is to withdraw from them on UCAS instantly instead of wasting the universities time
But what about your insurance? Unless you already have your results so that your offer from your preferred university is unconditional, then you shouldn't turn the others down, or withdraw, without keeping one as your insurance.
Reply 3
Original post by Crumpet1
But what about your insurance? Unless you already have your results so that your offer from your preferred university is unconditional, then you shouldn't turn the others down, or withdraw, without keeping one as your insurance.

It is unconditional. Then again I remembered in Highschool no one seemed bothered about withdrawing on UCAS even if they had decided on firm/insurance/unconditional in their mind. In any case I am withdrawing them now in case it makes any difference, since I'm 100% sure. Just feels really odd doing it straight after an interview.
Original post by Olympiad
The best etiquette is to withdraw from them on UCAS instantly instead of wasting the universities time

In this case this is not true.

Universities don't ration offers. Having made an offer then they aren't wasting significant effort waiting for applicants to chose a firm.

Op if your first choice has made you an unconditional offer then I STRONGLY recommend that you sit on your offers and do nothing on UCAS until April at the earliest. While it is unlikely your circumstances will change between now and then there is a chance. And once you go UF with a university you severely restrict your options to change your mind.

Waiting to make your official choices is not bad etiquette. Universities want you to make the right choice for you - and that means using the time you are given to consider your choices so that you are 100% sure.
Original post by PQ

Universities don't ration offers. Having made an offer then they aren't wasting significant effort waiting for applicants to chose a firm.

Op if your first choice has made you an unconditional offer then I STRONGLY recommend that you sit on your offers and do nothing on UCAS until April at the earliest. While it is unlikely your circumstances will change between now and then there is a chance. And once you go UF with a university you severely restrict your options to change your mind.

Waiting to make your official choices is not bad etiquette. Universities want you to make the right choice for you - and that means using the time you are given to consider your choices so that you are 100% sure.

^^^ I would listen to this.

My first choice university gave me and unconditional offer in January but I hadn't heard back from all my universities yet and hadn't even been to an interview or looked around one. My heart didn't change come March when I confirmed my unconditional offer. But it may of done and it is best to keep your options open.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PQ

This is true, and is what I am doing - I've recieved all 5 offers but I'm waiting for the applicant visit days.

Although I know a few people who are 100% sure and therefore have already sent their firm / insurance choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending