The Student Room Group

C3 Functions Help

I was doing the Edexcel C3 Jan 2010 exam paper and on question 9iib) it asks:

The functions f and g are defined by f(x)= e^(2x) +3 xER
g(x)= ln(x-1) xER x>1

Find fg and state its range:

I found that fg was e^(ln(x-1)^2) +3 but I couldnt find the range, and on exam solutions it says that that is equal to (x-1)^2 +3 but i dont understand how theyve got rid of the natural log and the e?? :s-smilie: I know how to find the range from (x-1)^2 +3 but i dont know how it was simplified to that. (sorry if its badly worded)

Reply 1
Original post by abimoon

g(x)= ln(x-1) xER x>1

I found that fg was e^(ln(x-1)^2) +3 but I couldnt find the range, and on exam solutions it says that that is equal to (x-1)^2 +3 but i dont understand how theyve got rid of the natural log and the e?? :s-smilie: I know how to find the range from (x-1)^2 +3 but i dont know how it was simplified to that. (sorry if its badly worded)

e2ln(x-1) = eln(x-1)2 = (x-1)2
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
e2ln(x-1) = eln(x-1)2 = (x-1)2

thanks but i still dont understand the second step where the natural log and the e were cancelled, how do they cancel out?
Original post by abimoon

g(x)= ln(x-1) xER x>1

The Ln and e cancel, when you take e^ln(x) it just becomes x. Just like if you took ln(e^x) it would again become x as they cancel. Remember ln is to the base e so, what power of "e" gives "e"? 1 therefore they cancel.
Reply 4
Original post by abimoon
thanks but i still dont understand the second step where the natural log and the e were cancelled, how do they cancel out?

elnx = x

fact about inverses
Reply 5
Thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest