The Student Room Group

Should all guys be going to the gym?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
No, you can also use a home gym.
Go for a run outside, and have some weights at home.

Sorted, gyms are ****
No, I don't think my boyfriend has ever been to a gym in his life! He prefers running/cycling. It's ironic seeing as I'm such a gym rat and hate outdoor pursuits (except for in the summer, at a leisurely pace!). Do what you enjoy, there's no right or wrong way to exercise.
Reply 23
Original post by Quantex
No. Most gyms are soulless, depressing places. Far better to get outside.

its much better if you are the the gym minding your own business
its annoying when a friend or someone talking is there cos they constantly want to talk instead of do exercise or w/e
gym's a nice place when it is kinda empty
Reply 24
you're not a real man unless your shredded
I don't think its necessary, not everyones aim is to get strong and fit, If you just want to be healthy and fit then you could just go for walks and jogging around where you live and so going to the gym really isn't needed.
I'm working as a labourer, so going to the gym seems a bit redundant. I'm lifting stuff all day anyhow, last thing I want is an injury that means I can't work. For improving my cardio I just go on runs, costs nothing more than a pair of decent running trainers.
Original post by Drewski
Everyone should be doing some form of exercise, not just guys.

Equality that doesn't benefit women only?!

Don't be silly.
Every man should aspire to become strong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coffinman
Unfortunately for most people that just means running about or cycling.

Nowt wrong with running about or cycling, I'm a proponent of both.
I don't go to the gym often. I use it occasionally but I run three or four times a week, swim twice a week and cycle about three times a week, which is usually enough exercise for me. Doing some form of sport is definitely good for lots of reasons, friendships, health and mental wellbeing, but these can usually be obtained from doing stuff elsewhere. It's up to you I guess.
Everyone should be given one day off work to go to the gym. It should be called fitness day. It'd save the country billions in the days people have off sick.
Reply 32
Original post by Anonymous
That is an intelligent viewpoint. holy s*** thats wrong. Ever seen a Eurofighter typhoon pilot bullock naked? I have and he's not shredded, but lol, if he isn't close to a 'real man' I don't know what is.

dumb.

you like staring at the naked male body?
No.

Some guys do, some don't. Nothing wrong with that.
Original post by Multitalented me
To keep fit & healthy. Say they did other forms of exercise like jogging outside & had a good diet is that enough? Just curious...

It really depends on what you want, obviously jogging a couple of times a week is better than no exercise and will keep your heart and lungs healthy. But in terms of musculoskeletal benefits, it has few. So know the limitations of whatever it is you're doing. But obviously do the exercise you enjoy doing, because that is the one you will actually do.

Running was more or less my only form of exercise for many years and it didn't do me any harm, and I used to compete at quite a high level - the result being though that I had a physique approaching that of Mo Farah. Eventually I moved on though and do other stuff now.
(edited 9 years ago)
All girls and boys should exercise a few times a week. Not necessarily to be strong or fit, but just because it is healthy. In my opinion everybody should try and incorporate at least a couple of hours a week of some kind of exercise, be it a sport, outdoors, running, weight lifting, gym, whatever floats your boat.

If you are open and friendly, I bet you will also meet super nice people while exercising. I've actually met the nicest of people at the gym!

Original post by Fizzel
I think you should be incorporating some form of strength training into your life, especially in today's world where most people aren't doing manual jobs.

Oh, and this.
Couldn't agree more, Fizzel.
What for. It's important to be fit and healthy but gyms not the only place. You wont be less manly if you keep fit by jogging, boxing or ballet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would add that in my opinion an hours PE each day should be mandatory through to 18.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
I would add that in my opinion an hours PE should be mandatory through to 18.

It thought it was? Should be more than an hour.

They should bring back boxing/wrestling/judo for boys to schools.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
I would add that in my opinion an hours PE should be mandatory through to 18.

I really see very little benefit from that tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest