The Student Room Group

Should all guys be going to the gym?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Time Tourist
It thought it was? Should be more than an hour.

They should bring back boxing/wrestling/judo for boys to schools.

Meant each day.

Not a fan of any but i do believe there should be a greater focus on competition than teamwork so individual sports like tennis should be given more priority.

Original post by Fizzel
I really see very little benefit from that tbh.

Meant each day.

The benefit is purely burning some more calories. Obesity is a threat to our nations progress.
Original post by Rakas21
Meant each day.

Not a fan of any but i do believe there should be a greater focus on competition than teamwork so individual sports like tennis should be given more priority.

Meant each day.

The benefit is purely burning some more calories. Obesity is a threat to our nations progress.

Ah I see - yea I agree with that. Though I think it good for boys to learn the discipline of full contact sports.
only if you want to get laid by attractive females (for free).
All guys should be doing Zumba. Fact! :banana:
Original post by Pseudocode
Everyone should be given one day off work to go to the gym. It should be called fitness day. It'd save the country billions in the days people have off sick.

And cost the country billions in the decrease in productivity?

People can just go before or after work and on their days off.
Original post by TornadoGR4
And cost the country billions in the decrease in productivity?

People can just go before or after work and on their days off.

I understand your point but you could bring more skilled migrants into the country and have people working less hours. You could keep productivity up simply by rotating staff more. Obviously, its a big change and would probably too much of a risk for a government to even consider putting in place.
Reply 46
Original post by Anonymous
Ever played in a sports team? Maybe not. Everything is on show after the game and no-one gives a s***. Its not awkward if your an insecure man.

dude you seem like a typically very influenced lad that looks at himself a lot in the mirror. Real values make a man, a man, not if he has a 6 pack or not you doughnut.

Play football. You were talking about a pilot, not in sports.

Do look at myself in the mirror a lot.

Ps should have sensed my sarcasm in my first post bro
No because it's a free world so why not do what you want? IF you don't wanna be healthy or whatever you don't have to be, so in conclusion you shouldn't make rules for pe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Count me out.
yeah some form of exercise should definitely be a part of every humans life - I wouldnt say the gym is the only option. I practise a style of martial arts stances in my own room or some body weight exercises which work just as well without paying anything extra :smile:
Original post by Rakas21
Meant each day.

Regardless, calories burned in a PE lesson is not going to be substantial. You look at calories burned doing a 5k run, the average kid is not going to burn more than a few hundred cals at best running race pace. Thats not viable 5 days a week, so you're looking as something like tennis as you suggested, which is even less intense at an novice level. You'd be lucky to get 200 calories burned in a PE lesson, so roughly one 500ml bottle of Coke/ 1 pack of Walkers crisps to undo that work.

Obesity, particularly early in life, is not caused by lack of exercise its caused by poor dietary habits. If a child is becoming obese (huge weight gain) they are doing so because of what they are eating, not because of a lack of what they are doing. Not only that, if they are managing that as a child while growing, they aren't just a little bit out of step its a huge number of calories over what they require. Finally, childhood eating habits correlate pretty well to future risks of obesity, so even if by ensuring the child works out in PE you can keep their weight off, their eating habits at home outside of control are already programming them for being fat in the future as soon as it is no longer mandatory.

I think its main benefit is exposing kids to different activities their parents may not. A kids may really enjoy pole vault, but I doubt that many parents are going to take their kid to a pole vault class to try it out. I do think PE needs to be more completion focused though than just a general curriculum. Perhaps a mandatory hour after school, mixing of years and abilities, where kids can really focus on getting to a stage where they are competing in something on a regular basis. Rather than just aimlessly doing what ever is scheduled by their teacher this term.
Original post by Rakas21
It would be beneficial if we had a culture where physical perfection or goal attainment was expected of a man but if your fit from what you do outside of the gym then its just a waste of money.

I don't think expectations of physical perfection from every man would be particularly beneficial. Apart from anything else, it would be an unrealistic expectation for any guy with a demanding office-based job.
Original post by Rakas21

So true - I saw a group of primary school children playing in the park in c london a month or so back and I was shocked. The overwhelming majority of them were actually fat. It was quite disturbing. If anyone was that size when I was at primary school - they got bullied hard.
Everyone should be given one day off work to go to the gym. It should be called fitness day. It'd save the country billions in the days people have off sick.

Amazing. You could even have two of them and call it a weekend.
Original post by SmashConcept

rofl
Original post by SmashConcept

Some of us work weekends :rolleyes:
Just keep your blood pressure reet, and make sure you're hench enough to not fall apart... and all is well!
Some of us work weekends :rolleyes:

Wow I didn't think of that. Hope you manage to get a day off to exercise soon :nopity:
Strength training is essential for everyone.
Reply 59
Original post by SEHughes
Strength training is essential for everyone.

Very true. SO many people go to the gym to run on a treadmill or do some hippy bosu ball exercises. By doing squats, deads and bench etc you can get strong, look great and still eat a huge amount of food.

Quick Reply

Latest