The Student Room Group

Should all guys be going to the gym?

To keep fit & healthy. Say they did other forms of exercise like jogging outside & had a good diet is that enough? Just curious...

Scroll to see replies

As long as your fit and healthy that's the main thing, not everyone should look how the media wants them to look
I think you should be incorporating some form of strength training into your life, especially in today's world where most people aren't doing manual jobs.

I would say lots of people have stereotypical views of the gym. Plenty of people don't lift everyday, some people will only be in the gym 3 times a week. You don't need to spend hours in the gym, if your choice of gym and timing is good you can be in the gym for pretty short periods of time. Also the idea you lift to look a certain way is only one scenario. A lot of people lift to look a certain way, other lift for fun, for strength or just all round health. Lifting and looking like you lift are two different things.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yup definitely! It is compulsory for every man in the world to attend the gym. 25/8! How could you not know this ? :eek:
Original post by C_tinie_D
As long as your fit and healthy that's the main thing, not everyone should look how the media wants them to look
I agree, I mean I don't think you need like a 6 pack to be attractive, muscles are good yeah but I guess I'm a bit too caught up with body image atm :erm:
Not really. All guys should be doing some form of exercise, but it doesn't have to take place in the gym environment.
Reply 6
It would be beneficial if we had a culture where physical perfection or goal attainment was expected of a man but if your fit from what you do outside of the gym then its just a waste of money.
Reply 7
Everyone should exercise but we live in a country where the majority are unhealthy and out of shape. I don't mind really since guys like me who lift will stand out more.

Muscles are attractive, you should lift to look good. Ignore anyone who tells you just to exercise enough to stay healthy, if you want to be more attractive and you have the will power then why not, why not lift weights seriously and get the body you want.
Reply 8
Original post by Genocidal
Not really. All guys should be doing some form of exercise, but it doesn't have to take place in the gym environment.

Everyone should be doing some form of exercise, not just guys.
Original post by Drewski
Everyone should be doing some form of exercise, not just guys.

Very true!
The outdoors is my gym.

Why would I want to be stuck inside when I could be doing this?

Plus it's free.
Well either I'm not a man, or something went wrong somewhere, but I don't go to the gym... Fast metabolism :biggrin:
Gyms are ****. If I'm gonna get any exercise it's gonna be outside .
Original post by Multitalented me
To keep fit & healthy. Say they did other forms of exercise like jogging outside & had a good diet is that enough? Just curious...

The gym is not the only place in the world you can exercise- in fact I'd say there are so many other things you can do that are better than going to the gym.

Source:
I don't go to the gym but am very much in shape.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
The outdoors is my gym.

Why would I want to be stuck inside when I could be doing this?

Plus it's free.

LOL where do you live to be doing that? The only things I could be climbing outside are buildings :eek:
No. Most gyms are soulless, depressing places. Far better to get outside.
I much prefer to go for a run or doing some hiking. The gym is alright in the winter though.
Original post by Rooster523
The gym is not the only place in the world you can exercise- in fact I'd say there are so many other things you can do that are better than going to the gym.
Unfortunately for most people that just means running about or cycling.
Of course not! I do think guys (and girls) should care to some extent about how they look and feel - especially for health reasons - but there is no need for it to be the gym. You have to find what works for YOU or you won't stick to it.
Reply 19
I'd say work out if you enjoy but don't if you don't, once I realised I was gaining nothing from it I stopped tbh. Getting jacked up does seem to be a bit of a fad atm, which I did jump on for a good 6-12 months I admit.

Quick Reply

Latest