The Student Room Group

Hit me with everything you know about German at uni! (please)

I've applied for History and German at King's, Oxford, Durham, Nottingham, Birmingham, and Manchester. Can anyone give me a general idea of what studying German at degree level is like? If you study German, are you enjoying it? What do you enjoy most/least? Is it a step up from A level? etc. Also if you've got any uni specific info, that's great too :redface:
Reply 1
I've just started German and Psychology at Durham. In the modules ive chosen which are both language ones, theres 2 tutorials per week per module but youll have a history and culture one too with about 12-13 of us in in which were going through grammar. At the minute were going through the basics so it's not a big jump from A-Level as yet but im sure it'll get harder as it has to to progress.

Theres not much to know really
Reply 2
I'm in my second year at Leeds doing German and I also did a year at Nottingham doing German too.

I am enjoying now I'm at Leeds, yes.

First year wasn't that big a step up from A Level to be honest, but second year it has increased in difficulty.

To be honest, I hate most of my modules. The only one I really like is Core Language, where we get an hour's lecture on grammar, and then 2 hours seminar where we talk and stuff. Those are fun.

What I don't like, is having to learn about bloody gender and cultural representation from 1871 in Germany. I want to learn German, not that crap :frown:

That's about it really.
Reply 3
Thanks for your replies! Fleece, just wondering - what was wrong with Nottingham?
Reply 4
Was crap in terms of german language.
Reply 5
Crap... in what way?
Reply 6
We didn't get much time to speak German and just the overall quality of the course was rubbish I thought. It was all in English, apart from one hour in German, which I thought defeated the point a bit.
Reply 7
aahhhh... doesn't sound good. where else did you apply? sorry for being nosy
Reply 8
First time round, St Andrews, Manchester, Bristol, Leeds and somewhere else, can't really remember, was about 4 years ago haha.

Second time round just applied to Leeds.

Latest

Trending

Trending