The Student Room Group

Do I follow my heart or head? A Level decisions.

I have my heart set on becoming a biologist in stem cell research or cellular biology and I'm in the process of choosing my college and A Levels. I'm a high achiever so I'm certain on taking A Levels and have my heart set on the best performing sixth form in the city. I want to take Biology (obviously), Psychology and English Combined. However, after looking at the entry requirements for a few universities I'm hoping to go to in order to study biomedics, some say I need 2 science A Levels and some don't consider psychology as a science. I despise chemistry and physics at GCSE at the moment and the only other options would be a maths A Level which is an awful thought. I really hate the other sciences yet feel I need to take one next year, but my heart stays stick with my current choices which I really look forward to doing. What do I do?
Hi, I started A-levels with the intention of going into stem cell research as well. Personally, my two sciences are Biology and Maths, but as you say you don't really want to do maths, which is fair enough.

Really, although your options are limited slightly by the lack of a second science, they aren't cut off altogether. Exeter's biology course, for instance, asks for two sciences, but Psychology is included. Queen Mary simply asks for Biology (but will lower your offer if you take three sciences).
Both universities are in the Russell Group, and you would still be able to apply.

Stick with your choices, if you really don't want to take any other science.
Original post by EmmaL.AM
I have my heart set on becoming a biologist in stem cell research or cellular biology and I'm in the process of choosing my college and A Levels. I'm a high achiever so I'm certain on taking A Levels and have my heart set on the best performing sixth form in the city. I want to take Biology (obviously), Psychology and English Combined. However, after looking at the entry requirements for a few universities I'm hoping to go to in order to study biomedics, some say I need 2 science A Levels and some don't consider psychology as a science. I despise chemistry and physics at GCSE at the moment and the only other options would be a maths A Level which is an awful thought. I really hate the other sciences yet feel I need to take one next year, but my heart stays stick with my current choices which I really look forward to doing. What do I do?

was in the exact same situation as you when you said about maths but its not that bad used to hateeeeee it, but give it a go... and chem is HELL at A level so dont even....but thats just my opinion, deffo make sure you do either tho as science degrees are quite competitive - good luck:biggrin:
A level maths isn't really what everyone makes out. It has a reputation of being hard, but it's not that hard.

You will need chemistry knowledge eventually for stem cell research or cellular biology anyway
I can't tell you what to do but I will share my experience.

Not to sound arrogant but like you high achiever, could have taken pretty much what I wanted at A Level. Happy with choices but wish I'd taken a science (I did do Psychology but refuse to believe it is in any serious sense).

I read science books (especially biology) all the time but I know if I had taken it at A Level I wouldn't be interested in it like I am now. It would feel like too much of a chore. Isn't it crazy the education system is like this?

You live and you learn :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by morgan8002
You will need chemistry knowledge eventually for stem cell research or cellular biology anyway

Yeah I know, but the biology A Level I'm taking includes the biochemistry and maths I'd need. I might take maths. Seems easier and has better reputation.
Reply 7
Also, I've already sent off my applicationto the said Sixth form and on that I had to put down the top 6 courses I'd like to take. Will I be able to change these at interview stage or further?
Also, I've already sent off my applicationto the said Sixth form and on that I had to put down the top 6 courses I'd like to take. Will I be able to change these at interview stage or further?

If you make the GCSE grades and the timetables don't clash, you should be able to change between A-levels in the first few weeks of term
Reply 9
Original post by arkanm
Exactly, and it's probably one of the only a levels where the CGP book alone can get you an A*. (I speak from experience.)

Original post by crayolaguy
A level maths isn't really what everyone makes out. It has a reputation of being hard, but it's not that hard.

That's speaking as mathematicians with I'm presuming a solid base of understanding from GCSE. I watched a lot of A/A* students from GCSE (who I guess hadn't learned the GCSE very well because of the ridiculously low grade boundaries) get Cs,Ds,Es,Us. Hell, the majority did, so it's not easy as you're making out for most. However if you enjoy maths and take the time to learn it properly there's nothing stopping you from getting the top grades (at A level)
Original post by TVIO
That's speaking as mathematicians with I'm presuming a solid base of understanding from GCSE. I watched a lot of A/A* students from GCSE (who I guess hadn't learned the GCSE very well because of the ridiculously low grade boundaries) get Cs,Ds,Es,Us. Hell, the majority did, so it's not easy as you're making out for most. However if you enjoy maths and take the time to learn it properly there's nothing stopping you from getting the top grades (at A level)

Exactly 'if you take the time to learn it properly'. This is what I am talking about, I just assume people will do this because if they don't then of course they won't do well just like any other A level.
Reply 11
Original post by crayolaguy
Exactly 'if you take the time to learn it properly'. This is what I am talking about, I just assume people will do this because if they don't then of course they won't do well just like any other A level.

People underestimate maths though. They don't understand what learning it properly *is*. A worryingly large number try rote learning methods and expect it to be enough (at A level it may still be enough to get a B/C)

Quick Reply

Latest