The Student Room Group

So I have a lisp...

So ever since I can remember, I have had trouble saying sibilant sounds such as S and Z and it has gotten to the point where I am really sick and tired of having this issue. This is going to sound crazy, but I've almost entirely avoided using words with the S and Z sounds if possible because I am too embarrassed of my lisp.

I'm now stuck in a position where my family and friends don't think that I have a lisp, because I mostly avoid it, but I really want to go about correcting it without having to go to family and ask... any ideas?

I would love to do exercises at home to practice getting rid of it, but I'm not sure on what I can do. I've heard of the smiling method, but my S sounds very hissy and almost like a stereotypical homosexual sound (it's the best way I can describe it, sorry). It's really depressing me...
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So ever since I can remember, I have had trouble saying sibilant sounds such as S and Z and it has gotten to the point where I am really sick and tired of having this issue. This is going to sound crazy, but I've almost entirely avoided using words with the S and Z sounds if possible because I am too embarrassed of my lisp.

I'm now stuck in a position where my family and friends don't think that I have a lisp, because I mostly avoid it, but I really want to go about correcting it without having to go to family and ask... any ideas?

I would love to do exercises at home to practice getting rid of it, but I'm not sure on what I can do. I've heard of the smiling method, but my S sounds very hissy and almost like a stereotypical homosexual sound (it's the best way I can describe it, sorry). It's really depressing me...

Might be worth looking online to see if there are any exercises that you could try on your own. If not then maybe go to your GP and see whether they might be able to send you to see a speech and language therapist (who I would assume would be the professional group that would deal with this (not sure though). It might be difficult to get funding but would be worth a try.

Quick Reply

Latest