The Student Room Group

Gamsat 2015

2016 GAMSAT Cut-offs:

Notts - Overall 60/65 (2.1+ (or 2.2 w/ masters/phd) and 2.2). Breakdown of S2 55 and either S1 or S3 at 55 and the other at 50. Remember there are two ways to calculate scores for Notts

Plymouth - Overall 64. S1 51, S2 52, S3 60

SGUL - Overall 60/65 (2.1+ (or 2.2 w/ masters/phd) and 2.2). With a minimum of 50 in each section. It is unclear at the moment whether SGUL are using both methods of scoring, or just the original science biased version

Exeter - Overall 60, no breakdown provided

I thought I would try and put together something a bit structured to help with all the queries everybody has for this exam. I'll try to keep it brief and it will be mostly a repeat of what's available at http://gamsat.acer.edu.au/gamsat-uk with some additional bits.

Table of contents:

1. What is the GAMSAT?

2. Who uses the GAMSAT?

3. Studying for the GAMSAT.

4. Key GAMSAT dates.

1. What is the GAMSAT?
The Graduate Australian Medical School Admissions Test (GAMSAT) is a five and a half hour exam used by some medical schools in the UK, Ireland, Australia and I believe some US schools too.

The exam is broken down into three sections:

Section 1 - Reasoning in Humanities and Social Sciences
This is an MCQ section and covers 75 questions in 100 minutes. With 10 minutes reading time.

Section 2 - Written Communication
Two essays, 30 minutes each. One socio-cultural, the other more personal and reflective. With 5 minutes reading time (for both questions, not 5 minutes each). You will receive 5 quotations for each essay on which they will be themed, you must answer your response to at least one of them. You can choose to quote your chosen quote (so to speak), but I don't believe that it is necessary.

Section 3 - Reasoning in Biological and Physical Sciences
Another MCQ section which covers 110 questions in 170 minutes. With 10 minutes reading time.

There is an hour lunch break inbetween sections 2 and 3. The whole day lasts at least 7 hours, more typically in the region of 8+ with registration, seating, distribution and collection of papers, etc.

2. Who uses the GAMSAT?
I'm only going to list UK universities and their scores for 2015 entry, you can find out about Irish, Australian, etc universities at the link at the top.

This information is subject to change once the official GAMSAT website has been updated for 2016 entry:

University of Exeter - 5 year undergrad course - 63 overall.
Will accept a degree in any subject from 2ii and above.

University of Nottingham - 4 year graduate entry course - 61 overall for 2i+ applicants, 66 for 2ii applicants. With minimum of 55 in S2, 55 in S1 or S3, and 50 in remaining section.
Will accept a degree in any subject from 2ii and above. Or will accept a 2ii with a Masters or PhD in any subject in lieu of a 2i (thus enabling you to hit the lower score).

University of Plymouth - 5 year undergrad course - 65 overall
(I do not know the breakdown of the score - I was told over the phone but can't remember, but it was very random in comparison to the others!)

St. George's University of London - 4 year graduate entry course - 62 overall
(I do not know the breakdown of the score - if someone has the breakdown please post and I will update).
For 2016 entry SGUL has implemented a tiered scoring system akin to Nottinghams. 2.ii applicants will be expected to score up to 5 more points higher than the cut off for 1st/2.i applicants.

Swansea University - 4 year graduate entry course - 58 overall
(I do not know the breakdown of the score - if someone has the breakdown please post and I will update).
Will accept a degree in any subject from 2i and above. Or a 2ii with a Masters or PhD in any subject in lieu of a 2i.

University of Liverpool - 4 year graduate entry course and 5 year undergrad course (applying as a grad) - 55 overall
(I do not know the breakdown of the score).
Liverpool have much more detailed entry requirements, please visit their website for further information.

Cardiff University - 4 year graduate entry course, 5 year undergrad course (grad entry), 6 year undergrad with foundation year (grad entry) - 57 overall, with minimum of 55 in S3
Even more complex entry requirements than Liverpool, depending which course you plan to go for. Please visit their website for more info.

Your GAMSAT overall score is calculated thus:
S1 + S2 + 2xS3, then is divided by 4 (eg 70 + 80 + 2x55 = 260/4 = 65)

Or Notts and SGUL also include a less science bias version:
S1 + S2 + S3, then it is divided by 3 (eg 70 + 80 + 55 = 205/3 = 68)

Disclaimer: Please if you believe any of this information to be wrong let me know with a resource of why it is wrong and I will update accordingly.

3. Studying for the GAMSAT.
This is one of the harder areas to cover. But I will try to break it down into the sections and then different groups of students (science v non-science) and what I feel is worth trying to see where you are with regards to your score.

Section 1:
Probably the most difficult section to prepare for. I have been told to read, read, and read some more. Anything from books I just want to read anyway, to classic literature, newspapers and online news websites. Read the newspaper comic strips, learn to quickly assess data in its many forms (pie charts, graphs, tables, etc - also useful for S3). Also try to broaden your range of vocabulary. There are a considerable amount of questions focused on words that aren't very common in current language.

Section 2:
More of the same as S1. But also you need to practise, practise, practise! Get used to writing at least one and a half sides of A4 within thirty minutes (not as easy as it sounds when you have five minutes to plan!). ACER has it's own official GAMSAT essay scoring service, but I did it twice last year and it gave me the same essay twice. Also it is automatically scored by machines, not by people as per the real exam, so take your results with a pinch of salt. For example I scored in the 73-84 range on the ACER test and only scored 62 in the actual test (despite me thinking my actual exam essays were better - albeit a bit shorter (I type faster than I write!)).

The Gold Standard book has some essay tasks which are helpful but can be easily imitated without the book. Just find a quote on a socio-cultural or personal theme and write an essay about it. Typically Essay A (socio-cultural) suits more of a third person, argumentative style but doesn't necessarily have to. Essay B should be more reflective and personal, how something has affected you, what you learnt from it, how it shaped your future, etc.

Having a plan is probably the best advice I can offer for this section. Spend your reading time thinking about the points you want to make, then in the first 5 minutes of writing use this time to jot them down into a plan that flows and has strength. Having a strong range of vocabulary is essential for this section too as some of the themes can be based on very specific phrases. For example one of AUS/NZ essay themes was on meritocracy. A term I had never heard of in my whole life!

Section 3:
Science time! ACER says the section is broken down as - 40% Chemistry, 40% Biology, 20% Physics. Some Organic Chemistry is included under the Chemistry umbrella (perhaps up to 50% (so 20% overall)).

It's recommended to have at least an A-level knowledge of each subject. But it could be desirable to delve further into Chemistry and Biology at least, perhaps to a 1st year undergraduate standard.

GAMSAT Gold Standard is a book I used, people are very mixed about it, it seems to have the marmite effect. It did help me get my science score from a pitiful 30% on my first practise exam to 55-60% on my last 2 practise exams (and an S3 score of 50 which isn't fantastic but hits most minimum cut offs).

User liam__ had this to say about Griffiths GAMSAT review:
The Griffiths review basically has; an overview of each section, tips for S1, sample essays and suggested essay structure for S2, and an unofficial "syllabus" for areas to concentrate your studies for S3. It also has some practice, GAMSAT style, questions for all 3 sections. It comes highly recommended, and it's something I'm definitely glad I bought early on in the process to save wasting time studying things that aren't likely to be on the exam.

Another set of books I hear get recommended a lot is the Letts X Science in a Week AS and A2 books.

Generally my advice is do an official ACER practise exam, or at least the practise questions and get an idea of what you need to improve on. For example as a science undergrad/graduate you should fare quite well in S3 and may just need to brush up on those sciences outside of which you studied - but you may not fare as well in S1 or S2. Whereas a non-science student, such as arts, or literature may fare really well in S1 and S2 but horribly in S3.

As of when to start, it really depends on how well you do on those tests. The Gold Standard book states 3-6 hours over 3-6 months leading up to the exam, but I know people who have done it with far less and others who have needed far more. For example I studied 1-3 hours most nights for 9 months and still failed the exam (I scored 51, 62, 50, overall 53 or 54 for Notts/SGUL) on my first attempt.

4. Key GAMSAT dates.

GAMSAT Ireland is now in the history books - good luck to everybody who sat it!

GAMSAT UK:
Test Day Wednesday 9 September 2015
Registrations Open late May 2015
Registrations Close Friday 31 July 2015
Late Registrations Close Monday 10 August 2015 (late fee of £60 will be charged in addition to the registration fee)

Specials Applications Close - Monday 10 August 2015
Admission Tickets issued Wednesday 26 August 2015

Results to UCAS No later than Wednesday 29 October 2015
Results to Candidates No later than Thursday 12 November 2015

I really hope this thread helps people. I felt like I could have done with a concise one stop shop for vital GAMSAT info. If anyone feels like I've missed anything important let me know and I will update this thread!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The Griffiths review basically has; an overview of each section, tips for S1, sample essays and suggested essay structure for S2, and an unofficial "syllabus" for areas to concentrate your studies for S3. It also has some practice, GAMSAT style, questions for all 3 sections. It comes highly recommended, and it's something I'm definitely glad I bought early on in the process to save wasting time studying things that aren't likely to be on the exam.

A C Grayling's The Meaning of Things gets a good rep for S1 and S2, and I'd back what Marathi said on classic literature and add that great books like Catch-22 and Of Mice and Men are on amazon for ~£1, so buy a few and get reading.
Reply 2
Yes the Meaning of Things is a great book for s1 and s2. I am reading catch-22 at the minute! Thanks for the info about Griffiths I'll update later :smile:
Hi all - currently a 1st year GEM student at nottingham - I used to gold standard for the gamsat and thought it was great! I had tried the GAMSAT a couple of times before getting the required mark - although persistence is important, so is technique

I am looking to sell these resources - if anyone is interested, please PM me

thanks!
Reply 4
Hi.
can you use the irish GAMSAT for UK unis?
Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Ama2007
Hi.
can you use the irish GAMSAT for UK unis?
Thanks

Yes!
Reply 6
Original post by liam__
Yes!

Can you let me know where you found that info please?

as some people told me that some UK unis dont accept Irish GAMSAT, but am not entirely sure?

Thanks
Reply 7
You should be able to any GAMSAT test to apply to any university that accepts GAMSAT applicants.

So for example a UK score you could use for UK, Irish, or Australian courses and vice versa.

I've never heard about a UK uni denying GAMSAT scores from other regions, do you have a source?
Reply 8
Original post by Ama2007
Can you let me know where you found that info please?

as some people told me that some UK unis dont accept Irish GAMSAT, but am not entirely sure?

Thanks

The GAMSAT is the GAMSAT. There's no difference between the exam, it's just sat in a different location.

GAMSAT results obtained from different sittings are directly comparable and can be used when applying to certain universities in Australia, Ireland and the UK. This means that a GAMSAT Australia result can be used when applying to medical schools in the UK or Ireland. All GAMSAT results, regardless of where the test was sat, carry with them a 2 year currency.

http://gamsat.acer.edu.au/results/currency-of-results

Let's be honest, you could have found that yourself. It took me 2 minutes to Google.

Have a read of their FAQ, it has lots of commonly asked questions...

http://gamsat.acer.edu.au/faq
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Nice work Marathi! a very comprehensive overview! thanks :biggrin:
Reply 10
Does anyone know where the venue for the GAMSAT Ireland tests have been in Dublin and/or London in the past?

Just trying to compare which will be cheapest and get the travel/accommodation booked early!
Reply 11
Swansea GEM posted the following on Facebook. I've not managed to find anything from Acer, but I've not looked that hard.

GAMSAT has confirmed all the dates you need for 2015 Applications

Test Day Wednesday 9 September 2015

Registrations Open Monday 25 May 2015
Registrations Close –Friday 31 July 2015
Late Registrations Close –Monday 10 August 2015 (late fee of £60 will be charged in addition to the registration fee)

Specials Applications Close - Monday 10 August 2015
Admission Tickets issued Wednesday 26 August 2015

Results to UCAS No later than Wednesday 29 October 2015
Results to Candidates No later than Thursday 12 November 2015

For more information, or to apply for the GAMSAT examination, please contact GAMSAT UK directly at http://www.gamsatuk.org/

London was at the Excel centre 2014 and the year before. Though that's no guarantee it'll be the same venue.
finally booked the test,

Of to writing my plan to kick start this journey!!

Last time my science section was rubbish despite studying a heavy science degree, I found Section 3 98% of it was interpreting etc and hardly any knowledge required. So I dont know where I failed tbh? Maybe more practice questions?

I am going to purchase the Griffith Review book.
Original post by Marathi
Does anyone know where the venue for the GAMSAT Ireland tests have been in Dublin and/or London in the past?

Just trying to compare which will be cheapest and get the travel/accommodation booked early!

In London it was somewhere on Liverpool street last year (wayyy more central than the Excel centre). I say 'somewhere' cos a friend did hers there last year and I don't remember the exact location she mentioned. No idea about Dublin though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I have purchased the Griffiths review book and am really disappointed in it.
I was expecting better. Most of the advice there I already knew.

Am looking for a book which says this is what you need to study for chem bio physics
all in one book. Rather than having to look at one million books to get the riggt stuff because I simply dont have the time.

I am planning to cut down my revision tp weeks.
(4 weeks chem 1 wk bio 1 wk physics and then 2 weeks practice tests)

what do you guys think of Des Oneil book? Science course book?
Reply 15
Original post by Ama2007
I have purchased the Griffiths review book and am really disappointed in it.
I was expecting better. Most of the advice there I already knew.

Why are you disappointed with the Griffiths book? My earlier comment in this very thread described what the book did and didn't contain.

The GAMSAT is supposed to be a self-directed learning exam. If you're looking to be spoon-fed the information, then you should look at books of the Gold Standard ilk. However, the Gold Standard seems to get mixed reviews and is reasonably expensive.

The Des courses seem to get a good rep on NewMediaMedicine, but again they're not cheap.

A much less expensive option is to buy the Letts A-Level Revision books. They're working great for me; all of the information for S3 is in there.
Reply 16
Original post by Nish-Med
In London it was somewhere on Liverpool street last year (wayyy more central than the Excel centre). I say 'somewhere' cos a friend did hers there last year and I don't remember the exact location she mentioned. No idea about Dublin though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok thanks for the info, but I think Ireland works out cheaper for me.
Original post by liam__
Why are you disappointed with the Griffiths book? My earlier comment in this very thread described what the book did and didn't contain.

The GAMSAT is supposed to be a self-directed learning exam. If you're looking to be spoon-fed the information, then you should look at books of the Gold Standard ilk. However, the Gold Standard seems to get mixed reviews and is reasonably expensive.

The Des courses seem to get a good rep on NewMediaMedicine, but again they're not cheap.

A much less expensive option is to buy the Letts A-Level Revision books. They're working great for me; all of the information for S3 is in there.

I know you described it well.

I just need loads of practice questions because I know my problem solving skills arent the best, thus i need all the practice i can get,I thought Griffith would have some.

I do have the 3 ACER books and Des Oneil full mock, but i still believe I need more practice with the problem solving questions similar to GAMSAT type. Because although my science knowledge is not bad, its the application that let me down last time...I just couldnt apply it despite knowing it.

I dont know if there are free online questions? Is MCAT book any use for MCQ questions? (I just happen to have it at home, )
Reply 18
Original post by Ama2007
I know you described it well.

I just need loads of practice questions because I know my problem solving skills arent the best, thus i need all the practice i can get,I thought Griffith would have some.

I do have the 3 ACER books and Des Oneil full mock, but i still believe I need more practice with the problem solving questions similar to GAMSAT type. Because although my science knowledge is not bad, its the application that let me down last time...I just couldnt apply it despite knowing it.

I dont know if there are free online questions? Is MCAT book any use for MCQ questions? (I just happen to have it at home, )

The MCAT has similar science questions to the GAMSAT. While it tests a larger subject matter than the GAMSAT, the most of the answers can be reasoned from the question which makes it great for practicing the question style. I've been able to find 8 full MCAT papers online.

As an extra bonus, the MCAT also has a verbal reasoning section which is very similar to the GAMSAT.
Original post by liam__
The MCAT has similar science questions to the GAMSAT. While it tests a larger subject matter than the GAMSAT, the most of the answers can be reasoned from the question which makes it great for practicing the question style. I've been able to find 8 full MCAT papers online.

As an extra bonus, the MCAT also has a verbal reasoning section which is very similar to the GAMSAT.

so how much does the MCAT resemble the GAMSAT, do you think?

I have the 4 books of MCAT (bio chem physics VR) found them among my old books lol dont know how they got there. And also the Gradmed questions.

last time I did really bad in physics questions because simply i have no physics background and also i tried to cram all physics into 5 days. This time round, I dont know if I will put much into physics because i know i wont learn anything so am going to focus mostly on chem on bio.

Hows your revision going?

I have written my plan, I shall execute it tonight...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending