The Student Room Group

Gamsat 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Marathi
Bleh been miserable all day, not the best news when I am on my HCA induction and learning things. Oh well.

58 overall
S1: 53 (+2 on previous)
S2: 59 (-3 on previous)
S3: 60 (+10 on previous)

Rant time.

Really surprised and disappointed by my S1 score I felt like I did a lot better than last time, apparently not. Also annoyed my essay score went down, wrote more and it was structured better but the content wasn't quite as good in my first essay as I had hoped.

Very pleasantly surprised by S3, it was where I focused my efforts when studying for this one. But I didn't expect such a big jump.

S1 needs work going forward. Such a tough section to prepare for so I am going to force myself to read more and practise with some other materials like the mcat stuff.

I tried the Griffiths essay plan in March and it didn't beat my previous score but I think I blame my own content rather than the technique.

Hi well on s3 improvement! did u try ozimed pappers ?
Reply 201
Does anyone who sat the GAMSAT in march 2015 remember the section 2 essay areas? Just trying to compile a list of previous years subjects...
Reply 202
Essay A was on freedom, Essay B was on responsibilities of youth.
How much revision are you guys doing? I just registered and got one of the past papers and some practice questions. I feel sick thinking about it :unimpressed:
Hi,

Question for those of you with GAMSAT experience - I have a 0 science background (no A levels, no GCSEs), but I really want to train myself so I can pass the GAMSAT and apply to graduate med school. I'm willing to take my time as I have a lot to learn. I won't even think about sitting it until September 2016.

My question is - where do you think I should start? Should I try and get hold of A level course material for biology, chemistry and physics and try to get through it with whatever resources I can find online, before moving on to GAMSAT-level preparation...? I'm at a loss. The last time I sat in a science class was a decade ago...

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. Thanks :smile:
Reply 205
Original post by StartingAgain
Hi,

Question for those of you with GAMSAT experience - I have a 0 science background (no A levels, no GCSEs), but I really want to train myself so I can pass the GAMSAT and apply to graduate med school. I'm willing to take my time as I have a lot to learn. I won't even think about sitting it until September 2016.

My question is - where do you think I should start? Should I try and get hold of A level course material for biology, chemistry and physics and try to get through it with whatever resources I can find online, before moving on to GAMSAT-level preparation...? I'm at a loss. The last time I sat in a science class was a decade ago...

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. Thanks :smile:

My science background was very little when I started this process (last time I did science was at GCSE nearly 10 years ago). I picked up the Chemistry and Biology for Dummies books and just browsed them quite leisurely very early on (Sept-Dec 2013 for GAMSAT 2014).

Then once the New Year rolled round I started with the GAMSAT Gold Standard book, which I love, but not everybody does. I tried some AS/A2 books but felt like I was overloading with info, I just wanted to focus on the GAMSAT topics which is why I like Griffiths and the Gold Standard as these explain the topics for you.

The first time I sat the exam I scored a 50 in S3 which is enough for most unis, then the second time I scored 60 which is a pretty good score for a non-science graduate (if I do say so myself!), it was also my strongest section on the Irish GAMSAT.

However I have not yet passed the GAMSAT so take my advice as you will :wink:
Reply 206
Original post by MariaJade
How much revision are you guys doing? I just registered and got one of the past papers and some practice questions. I feel sick thinking about it :unimpressed:

Hi how's you prep Going?
Reply 207
Hey does anyone know the exact location of the London gamsat test centre??
Count me on in this. Sitting this Sept for application in Sept 2016
hello is anyone from leicester? i would like a studying partner
Reply 210
Please let me know how much you are selling it and how to get from you soon. Thanks

I am looking to sell these resources - if anyone is interested, please PM me

thanks!
Original post by tough2
Hi how's you prep Going?

Alright, it's a bit overwhelming as most of the equations in griffiths I've never seen (particularly for chemistry) and I did it at A2! I feel my old revision guides are useless now so I'm going to have to put even more money into this damn exam :/ haven't started tackling sections 1&2 yet.
Also, anyone here sitting the exam in Sheffield?
Hi,

I am having major trouble sticking to a time table of sort when studying for GAMSAT.

I have sat the exam previously and did poorly.. Really wanting to study the heck out of it this time round...

Would anyone who lives in London, like to form a study group? Or, if you already have one, may I be invited to it?

I'm not ready for it at all yet.. I would say I have covered the content that might be in S3 but I'm still getting used to the style of difficult questions they ask.. So a lot of practise is needed

S1 and S2 are tricky also... Especially S2 for me...

All the best guys

Just pm or reply on here

Stef
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nimmyt
Hey does anyone know the exact location of the London gamsat test centre??

Hi, as I will be travelling from out of country I asked ACER this and they told me for security reasons they can't disclose the exact place but it will be in Kensington London in September - hope that helps...
Hey everyone,

Has anyone had a chance to look at the Khan Academy's MCAT revision guides and question banks? If so, would you say that is representative of the GAMSAT style questions or totally off?

This lack of question banks (at least not having access to "enough" in my opinion) is driving me nuts! :smile:
Reply 215
Original post by MariaJade
Alright, it's a bit overwhelming as most of the equations in griffiths I've never seen (particularly for chemistry) and I did it at A2! I feel my old revision guides are useless now so I'm going to have to put even more money into this damn exam :/ haven't started tackling sections 1&2 yet.
Also, anyone here sitting the exam in Sheffield?

Same Here! I'm having trouble more with physics, and section 2 !
I am sitting in London ,
Reply 216
helloooo,

I'm thinking of setting up an essay exchange. Whereby I create a set of quotes from somewhere about a topic at a given time. You then have to do both essays timed within the 1hr 10mins (over a weekend say). We then upload them and mark each others. Should give a real inclination of progress. Whos in?
Original post by Lxh524
helloooo,

I'm thinking of setting up an essay exchange. Whereby I create a set of quotes from somewhere about a topic at a given time. You then have to do both essays timed within the 1hr 10mins (over a weekend say). We then upload them and mark each others. Should give a real inclination of progress. Whos in?

Actually sounds like a great idea :smile: I would be interested (if you are not bombarded with stranger's essays by then) but I have UKCAT to sit on 2nd of July and am putting GAMSAT to the side until I have the UKCAT over with so maybe able to join you just after if that suits you?
The essay exchange sounds like a great idea, it will really help to get outside feedback. Count me in!
I'm currently tearing my hair out over the verbal reasoning!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm sitting the GAMSAT this september and applying for 2016 entry for GEM.

I was wondering if anybody knows if its possible to get the ACER practice questions without having to pay the ridiculous fee on them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending