The Student Room Group

Gamsat 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hopefully we'll be able to go on time as I'm guessing there'll be less people sitting it in London in March.
Reply 81
Does anyone know if our scoring gets put together with the Australian GAMSAT? As they take place on the same date...
Reply 82
Original post by Marathi
Does anyone know if our scoring gets put together with the Australian GAMSAT? As they take place on the same date...

I believe that the Irish results are combined with the Australians' to produce the bell curve and ergo your percentile ranking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by liam__
I believe that the Irish results are combined with the Australians' to produce the bell curve and ergo your percentile ranking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm just for the bell curve... So the results are only calculated for the Irish sitters separately then?

I ask as from what I see on pagingdr is that the Australians score pretty high compared to UK and even more compared to Ireland. So not sure how this will affect marks or whether it does at all...

Nothing like nervous speculation!
Original post by Marathi
Hmm just for the bell curve... So the results are only calculated for the Irish sitters separately then?

I ask as from what I see on pagingdr is that the Australians score pretty high compared to UK and even more compared to Ireland. So not sure how this will affect marks or whether it does at all...

Nothing like nervous speculation!

I saw that the Australians got higher marks too but I had a look at the Australian medical school entry requirements and they're generally about the same as here so I have no idea.
Reply 85
Pretty certain the Irish GAMSAT has a separate curve to the Australians, suggesting the cohorts are not combined.

In any case, this is a post exam worry :tongue:
Can anyone suggest how they can make a theme/question of these essay quotes??? Really frustrating trying to make a question & it just isn't happening.
Reply 87
Original post by GroovyKid
Can anyone suggest how they can make a theme/question of these essay quotes??? Really frustrating trying to make a question & it just isn't happening.

Can money buy happiness?

You don't have to use all the quotes, if you don't want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liam__
Can money buy happiness?

You don't have to use all the quotes, if you don't want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I did think that. Just wasn't sure how I'd be able to reference those quotes in the essay, apart from the 4th one.
Reply 89
Original post by GroovyKid
Thanks, I did think that. Just wasn't sure how I'd be able to reference those quotes in the essay, apart from the 4th one.

If you want to tie in all the quotes, then perhaps a better essay would be on

Is wealth the objective of life?

or something along those lines.

The questions are deliberately open ended.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Hi fogalog,

I too will be interested in a study group please pm me.
Reply 91
Hi anyone want to sell their Gamsat materials?

please get in touch.

Good on luck to those sitting the exams this month.
Reply 92
Hello people! I tried starting a different thread for this, but someone just posted a link to this discussion...
So, I just wanted to say I'm gonna be in the Bishopsgate Institute in London for the test... Where are you going to be?
(I don't know what to expect in terms of how many people are going to be in there, I get nervous around too many people, you know? :P)
Original post by umbri1
Hello people! I tried starting a different thread for this, but someone just posted a link to this discussion...
So, I just wanted to say I'm gonna be in the Bishopsgate Institute in London for the test... Where are you going to be?
(I don't know what to expect in terms of how many people are going to be in there, I get nervous around too many people, you know? :P)

Anyone who's taking it in London next week will be at the Bishopgate Institute, including me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Original post by neuronerd
Hi guys,

I'm taking the GAMSAT in two weeks (eeek) and so am offering my ebooks for sale for the next batch of suffering/studying. The bundle includes:

ACER Booklets
Blue book (Sample questions)
Red book (Practice questions)
Green book (Practice test 1)
Purple book (Practice test 2)

Kaplan MCAT Complete 7-Book Subject Review
7 Complete revision guides covering:
*Biology
*General Chemistry
*Organic Chemistry
*Behavioural Science
*Biochemistry
*Physics and Maths
*Critical Analysis and Reasoning

All together the bundle cost me an obscene amount of money (the acer stuff alone was about £75) so to recover some of the cost I'm selling them for £10 for the whole lot as I think the GAMSAT is expensive enough (pdfs for acer stuff, mobi and epub for the MCAT stuff). I can email or dropbox the files over, drop me a private message if you are interested

I would love to buy these please pm me.
Reply 95
Hey guys!!

My GAMSAT is next week so I'm selling my study materials to those interested for the September GAMSAT. Although the materials were quite expensive I am willing to negotiate affordable prices as I understand the struggle

Des Oneill Preparation Courses:
Section 1/ Red Series, contains a huge booklet filled with more than 1000 questions and solutions + Five Tests. This booklet has been really handy in getting a hang of Section 1 questions

Section 2/ Purple Series, contains a smaller booklet but packed with tips for scoring high in the essays, 12 tasks i.e 24 essays as well as sample essays for each task written by others with markers comments. It also includes a bonus sheet with 8 extra essay tasks

Section 3/ Green Series, the thickest of the booklets, loads of chemistry, biology and physics questions. Most of which are application questions just like the ACER style.

ACER Materials:
2 Sample Papers
2 Full Practice Papers

Miscallenous Material:
A.C Grayling's The Meaning of Things (helped with section 2)
Ben Dupre's 50 Big Ideas you really need to know (section 2)
AS and A2 Physics in a week
CGP Biology and Chemistry Revision guides
Phillip Allan notes revision guides for Biology and Chemistry (all units)
Reply 96
Hey guys,

(Asking a similar question to before..... (Not good considering the GAMSAT in in 5 days))

Section B of Section 2

- Do people think its necessary to give a reflective personal story, or is it fine to argue the theme and maybe use more personal points?

The reason I ask is because I find it hard to have an example. If I make something up on the spot then it seems farfetched and you can tell its just lies haha! Ive seen people say they have used the same format as they did with section A and they got a perfectly good score, so I have no idea which route to take!
Reply 97
Original post by acardus
Hey guys,

(Asking a similar question to before..... (Not good considering the GAMSAT in in 5 days))

Section B of Section 2

- Do people think its necessary to give a reflective personal story, or is it fine to argue the theme and maybe use more personal points?

The reason I ask is because I find it hard to have an example. If I make something up on the spot then it seems farfetched and you can tell its just lies haha! Ive seen people say they have used the same format as they did with section A and they got a perfectly good score, so I have no idea which route to take!

People on pagingdr say you can and should if this is a stronger writing style for you.

I am considering doing it myself depending on the quotes presented as I feel my argumentative essays are stronger as well.
Reply 98
Original post by Marathi
People on pagingdr say you can and should if this is a stronger writing style for you.

I am considering doing it myself depending on the quotes presented as I feel my argumentative essays are stronger as well.

Yeah hopefully the quotes are good and I can think of something! If not, creating a question to argue should be manageable! I definitely feel I could write a better essay that way!

Hopefully theres nothing to do with politics in section 1 or I am screwed!

Good luck on saturday!
Reply 99
Original post by acardus
Yeah hopefully the quotes are good and I can think of something! If not, creating a question to argue should be manageable! I definitely feel I could write a better essay that way!

Hopefully theres nothing to do with politics in section 1 or I am screwed!

Good luck on saturday!

Haha yes I have been trying to brush up on my political understanding via the Crash Course channel on youtube.

Griffiths recommends titling(?) your essay as a question so I think that would be a safe route to go down, one I am going to try this time round.

Thanks, good luck to you as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending