The Student Room Group

MPs want to know: Why do an apprenticeship? What puts people off?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
Surely in a fair system one should always earn at least the "minimum" wage.

I agree, personally, and this is what puts people off. But at the same time, you are being paid for what you offer, which is the square root of **** all at first. Pay does increase with age and many pay better than they are mandated to by law.
Original post by addylad
I agree, personally, and this is what puts people off. But at the same time, you are being paid for what you offer, which is the square root of **** all at first. Pay does increase with age and many pay better than they are mandated to by law.

I'm sure that many do pay more than they have to. But I'm pretty sure that there are many who pay their apprentices **** all. We shouldn't stand for this exploitation (I think it is the right word) of the young for cheap labor.
Reply 22
Apprenticeships need to be better paid

Not the minimum wage as you are learning at the same time though
Original post by addylad
That's the same for any degree, but I disagree that an apprenticeship pigeonholes you in any way. If you finish your degree aged 21, and realise that career path is not for you, you have the option of going back to university to incur more debt, or 'making do', neither of which sound particularly inspiring. After an apprenticeship, you have experience in the real world, no debt, and the option of doing a degree.

But a degree does not equal career path (unless it's vocational of course) and a lot of grad schemes out there/grad level jobs do not specify a particular degree.

How is that different from any degree (which you'll be paying off for the next 25-30 years)?

Choosing a degree is different from choosing a career as even after a degree you can go and do something unrelated but having a degree in the first place will give you more options.

No, you differentiate yourself. You can study a degree part-time, or go to uni afterwards, with money in your pocket. That aside, most graduates are closed off from a wide range of jobs because they don't have the necessary practical skills (which can be acquired from an apprenticeship). Your cognitive biases are coming into play now; apprenticeships offer a lot of things that degrees don't.

I agree that some graduates don't have the necessary practical skills however, at least they will still have the option to apply for jobs that require a degree in the first place. Also students whilst at Uni can still develop their practical skills too through work experience etc.

Well that is a straight up non-truth. Ever heard of an OPITO apprenticeship? Or a Nuclear Skills Passport? Perhaps you're basing your points on your own limited experience, but Cogent and others standardised this a long time ago. Besides, you're talking in such vague terms, I might as well say, "you can't use a music degree for investment banking".

Perhaps I should've made this more clear, I recognise that there are very good apprenticeship schemes out there in which the ones you have mentioned fall under but there are too many that aren't.

Right, so did you do some research before you applied to your degree course? Of course you did. Due diligence is advised with any important decision - I fail to see why you neglect the fact that degrees are no different. Some degrees have good prospects, some don't. I could replace the word 'apprenticeship' with 'graduate scheme' and 'apprentice' with 'BA/BSc/BEng'.

The difference with degrees is that whilst completing one, you can enhance your own prospects by getting involved with activities outside it too. Also just look at how much information is available in regards to choosing degrees and Unis in comparison to choosing an apprenticeship and what it will lead to.

I am not against apprenticeships, as I have said before there are companies that offer good pay, training and prospects but there are many which don't and it is these which I was primarily talking about. I think there should be more apprenticeships offered that are like the ones which you have mentioned and not just 'more' because more apprenticeships does not mean better.
I think the people who might otherwise have done apprenticeships don't want to because they are not the same as the apprenticeships that were available in the past. At one time, if you were an apprentice you were probably being trained for a highly skilled, highly paid job in heavy industry (eg. as an electrician in a coal mine). You were promised a job for life which could more than support you and your family, as the high risks of injury or death involved in your working life were rewarded with an excellent fair wage and pension.

What can you get now? £2 odd an hour and a BTEC at the end of it? People aren't stupid. You can literally earn more at Tesco.
Reply 25
I am doing an apprenticeship next year because I think it's a great opportunity to earn money while learning, however my apprenticeship will pay above the minimum wage so I'm pretty lucky. I can totally understand why a lot of people are put off by the badly paid ones, because you do really need some other source of financial help if you're getting paid, say, £100 a week. I think a lot of schools still try and force all their pupils to go to university even though some would be better off doing an apprenticeship, which needs to be changed. In some sectors, apprenticeships are definitely a viable alternative and I feel like sometimes people don't do them enough justice. Practical skills are important.
Reply 26
apprenticeships are crap, end off

smh, it's seriously crap... Maybe create a management apprenticeship scheme or a teaching career apprenticeship. Of all seriousness, i dont understand why it exist when its crap pay and an uncertainty of getting the job. We need university to have freedom and an apprenticeships has no chance of moving out of home.
In schools there is too much of a focus on university, historicallythe application system is geared towards universities applications. Themajority of young people are workers not academics we need a system that gears themajority straight into work (Germany has the best educational structure forthis)

With this method it would allow only a select group (15%roughly) of Britain’s top young academics to go to university and excel farbetter as the universities could focus more on these individuals and allowsthem to learn to the best of their ability. And we would save money by havingless students go to university (e.g. we could abolish tuition fees)
The problem is to many students who should be working ordoing apprenticeships are going to university instead for the wrong reasons such as it guarantees a job, the party life, there’snothing better to do, there teachers/ parents told them to. We need to showthat apprenticeships are just as good if not better job security and pay than university.Maybe advertise apprenticeships were the students have a chance to go abroadit may tempt them in more.

Schools pressure students to go to university- my school gave no information to those not looking to go to university

Most apprenticeships are too poorly paid/not paid at all to be viable

Apprenticeships may tie you into one career whereas degrees can be applied to many
Original post by addylad

An apprenticeship develops skills for a specific career/job, what about if you decide you no longer want to pursue it anymore? Especially in modern times where people do change careers more often than they did in the past where there was more of a 'job for life' mindset.

That's the same for any degree, but I disagree that an apprenticeship pigeonholes you in any way. If you finish your degree aged 21, and realise that career path is not for you, you have the option of going back to university to incur more debt, or 'making do', neither of which sound particularly inspiring. After an apprenticeship, you have experience in the real world, no debt, and the option of doing a degree.

How are students (16-19 year olds) meant to know whether a certain career is for them or not? This links back to my previous point.

How is that different from any degree (which you'll be paying off for the next 25-30 years)?

There are already lots of people out there with degrees and this is reflected in job requirements as jobs which once did not require a degree, now do, therefore by pursuing an apprenticeship, you will be closing yourself off to a lot of different jobs/careers. And yes, you could go back to Uni and then study and complete a degree but really was the apprenticeship then worth it?

No, you differentiate yourself. You can study a degree part-time, or go to uni afterwards, with money in your pocket. That aside, most graduates are closed off from a wide range of jobs because they don't have the necessary practical skills (which can be acquired from an apprenticeship). Your cognitive biases are coming into play now; apprenticeships offer a lot of things that degrees don't.

Most degrees are transferable and no matter where you go or what you apply for, they'll be recognised, the same cannot be said for apprenticeships

Well that is a straight up non-truth. Ever heard of an OPITO apprenticeship? Or a Nuclear Skills Passport? Perhaps you're basing your points on your own limited experience, but Cogent and others standardised this a long time ago. Besides, you're talking in such vague terms, I might as well say, "you can't use a music degree for investment banking".

There are some big companies which offer really good apprenticeships that have good pay and prospects however, there are a lot of apprenticeships out there which provide neither good pay or prospects, basically just working a usual job just with the word 'apprentice' added to the job title.

Right, so did you do some research before you applied to your degree course? Of course you did. Due diligence is advised with any important decision - I fail to see why you neglect the fact that degrees are no different. Some degrees have good prospects, some don't. I could replace the word 'apprenticeship' with 'graduate scheme' and 'apprentice' with 'BA/BSc/BEng'.

The first point you made, although valid, doesn't really help the case for becoming an apprentice. The reason is because the apprenticeship is at best, as flexible as the degree for career choices. It can never be more flexible in career choice as compared to a degree.

Again your third point is valid, but in this case, apprenticeships are seen as a stepping stone to a graduate job. You also must take into account that training for one apprenticeship may not be valid for another apprenticeship, so most apprenticeships are also closed off from a wide range of jobs because they don't have the necessary practical skills, which need to be acquired from doing another apprenticeship.

Regarding your fourth point, a degree is still considered to be universal mark of attainment in higher education. If one were to work overseas, I'm pretty sure that a degree has a higher chance of being recognised(especially in the context of UK) compared to the programmes you mentioned. I mean, there must be a reason why so many of the international students come here to study in these universities.

Regarding your last point, yes, some apprenticeships have better prospects than some degrees. But in the same field, generally, graduate positions would have a better prospect than the apprentice positions, as graduates are usually expected to handle more complex tasks than the apprentice positions, and that would probably lead to higher pay for the graduate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Real apprenticeship: Learn under skilled tradesman/company with prospects that will teach you vital skills that are not too common in the job market and will lead to at least a relatively successful career with plenty of options for personal development. Given a crisis a person would still be a skilled joiner/plumber/welder/bricklayer/engineer/whatever. Practical skills based on being able to DO or MAKE things, of which there is a crucial shortage of in the digital age.

21st century coalition government apprenticeship: Pay kids £2 an hour to do a shop floor job. When they finish a year bump them up to the grand amount of £5. No skills or long-term prospects at the end of it because they're a shop floor worker waiting for the robots to replace their extremely low paid job. But victory for the employer who has saved a bit of bob in recruitment costs and gained a potentially very loyal staff member from the child who has now walked into a dead end job and a way for Tory voters to justify their sleep at night and go 'fnarfnarfnar well at least they're on the ladder and not a layabout on the estates fnarfnarfnar (I'm not paying for "real apprenticeships) fnarfnarfnar).
I am currently applying for apprenticeships and I am more than happy that this topic exists.

The matter of fact is, I do not want to be in debt! This is exactly what an apprenticeship will help me battle: I will earn money instead of spend them or rather borrow them and be head deep in debt that I will struggle to pay for the next 30 years of my life. It just strikes me as reasonable that if I can't afford something, I am looking for different options.

What is also good about apprenticeships is the fact that you get a secured job in an unstable market. Most graduates are unemployed for years after graduation or end-up being sales clerks & asking would you like coke with your fries. I am applying to do accountancy with KPMG/pWc/Deloitte/EY despite the fact that I have never even considered doing anything to do with maths. However, these are some very well paid apprenticeships that guarantee you a job even after the end of the programme. Who knows: I might end up loving being an accountant.

Work experience is yet another incredibly valuable advantage of these apprenticeships. In 4 years time, not only will I not be in debt but I will also have the work experience and transferable skills to pursue any job I like whereas my peers would have a degree and no work experience and we will be facing the same market.

Learn while you earn is exactly what an apprenticeship is. I like studying, don't get me wrong, but I do not enjoy sitting in a classroom/lecture hall for days at a time writing essays/solving equations without making any impact in real life. This would not be the case with an apprenticeship: whatever I learn I can immediately use in my day-to-day work and thus learn better as I've put it in practice. Not to mention that it is useful knowledge not just random facts that you might never need to use again in your life (Solve for x) :smile:

I am also positive that if at the end of my apprenticeship, I still want to do a degree, I will have the financial stability to afford it :smile: This of course is not quite true for 12-month-long apprenticeships but hey that's still some good money you can earn :smile: It's not like my parents will hand me £16,000 after working for them for a year whereas say Aldi or Tesco would :wink:
Original post by addylad

Not all degrees are vocational. Mine certainly isn't and certainly a lot of firms don't require a specific degree to get on their grad schemes rather a first or 2:1.

What I'm studying for my degree isn't my career interests. but having a degree at least will make me eligible to apply for schemes if I choose to.
Apprenticeships are a godsend.

Many apprenticeship providers will pay for their apprentices to go to university and complete a degree, as well as providing them with good quality work experience.

The vacancies are very competitive and hard to get though.
Original post by Casiolynn
I am currently applying for apprenticeships and I am more than happy that this topic exists.

The matter of fact is, I do not want to be in debt! This is exactly what an apprenticeship will help me battle: I will earn money instead of spend them or rather borrow them and be head deep in debt that I will struggle to pay for the next 30 years of my life. It just strikes me as reasonable that if I can't afford something, I am looking for different options.

What is also good about apprenticeships is the fact that you get a secured job in an unstable market. Most graduates are unemployed for years after graduation or end-up being sales clerks & asking would you like coke with your fries. I am applying to do accountancy with KPMG/pWc/Deloitte/EY despite the fact that I have never even considered doing anything to do with maths. However, these are some very well paid apprenticeships that guarantee you a job even after the end of the programme. Who knows: I might end up loving being an accountant.

Work experience is yet another incredibly valuable advantage of these apprenticeships. In 4 years time, not only will I not be in debt but I will also have the work experience and transferable skills to pursue any job I like whereas my peers would have a degree and no work experience and we will be facing the same market.

Learn while you earn is exactly what an apprenticeship is. I like studying, don't get me wrong, but I do not enjoy sitting in a classroom/lecture hall for days at a time writing essays/solving equations without making any impact in real life. This would not be the case with an apprenticeship: whatever I learn I can immediately use in my day-to-day work and thus learn better as I've put it in practice. Not to mention that it is useful knowledge not just random facts that you might never need to use again in your life (Solve for x) :smile:

I am also positive that if at the end of my apprenticeship, I still want to do a degree, I will have the financial stability to afford it :smile: This of course is not quite true for 12-month-long apprenticeships but hey that's still some good money you can earn :smile: It's not like my parents will hand me £16,000 after working for them for a year whereas say Aldi or Tesco would :wink:

I think that you are spot on.

have also applied for many accountancy firms. I have been turned down by Deloitte and Grant Thornton(having reached the final in both) and I have an application outstanding with EY. I warn you that they are very hard to get, but best of luck!
Original post by sdotd
Apprenticeships need to be better paid

Not the minimum wage as you are learning at the same time though

Some do pay fairly well. Some London apprentices can start on £21k pa.
I'll start to see an apprenticeship as the equal to a degree when private schools advise their pupils to take one. It is just another way in which working class children are being denied an opportunity to better themselves. Push someone into a low paid apprenticeship and then a low paid job and they will never be able to compete with the children of the rich.
The min wage should apply to apprenticeships. Every job you go on they have to train you some degree. If I got my job with that laser manufacturer they would have had to train me and it would take while for me to come up to speed with everyone else. Yet they still pay me an actual salary rather than an insulting £2 an hour.
Original post by Casiolynn

You ain't gonna make an "impact" in "real life" as a trainee accountant.
Original post by MedicineMann
I'll start to see an apprenticeship as the equal to a degree when private schools advise their pupils to take one. It is just another way in which working class children are being denied an opportunity to better themselves. Push someone into a low paid apprenticeship and then a low paid job and they will never be able to compete with the children of the rich.

Well I go to a private school and am not the only who is considering an apprenticeship. Our Careers fellow is really keen that everyone does what is right for them, for me is KPMG, for someone else is BBC .. Some jobs are easier to get at School Leavers level ..

Quick Reply

Latest