The Student Room Group

Leeds or Southampton?

Hi, I will finish my application in next few days but I'm not sure which uni to choose as my 5th choice. I narrowed it down to these two, so which one do you think is better for economics? :biggrin:
Reply 1
Leeds, although I think you are likely to get a lower offer for Southampton don't know if that is a factor
Reply 2
Original post by razbel
Hi, I will finish my application in next few days but I'm not sure which uni to choose as my 5th choice. I narrowed it down to these two, so which one do you think is better for economics? :biggrin:

It depends entirely on you, your intended learning outcomes, what you wan to do after your degree, etc.

It is important to look at the modules offered at each university and think about what you want to study. The Leeds course is much more about training you in policy orientated economics, and gives the impression it would be good if you wanted to go into the GES after your BSc. They offer modules in how to be a good policy economist, for example (link). Further, from looking at course pages, this appears to be the most advanced econometrics module available. It is clear from all the modules offered and the textbooks used for each module, it is much more applied and tries to make economics relevant to the real world.

Southampton, on the other hand, offers no policy modules and hardly any applied modules. You're taught the theories, the maths, etc. and then it's up to you in your own time apply the theories if you wish. The Southampton course, I'd argue, is primarily aimed at those wanting to go do an MSc and potentially a PhD after their BSc. You're exposed to very simple DSGE modelling in your third year, there is a much stronger focus on intertemporal choice even in micro theory modules from the earlier stages while third year micro is purely abstract game theory, and you're able to take econometrics modules where the core textbook is Econometric Analysis by Greene.

Is any course better than the other? No. They're just very different.

Also visit each and think about the atmosphere, location, etc. The city of Southampton puts a lot of people off, so this is something to think about. (It's important to remember that entry requirements are about supply/demand. Some people are put off Southampton due to location. Equally, Southampton is trying to almost double its student accommodation availability as the government has removed quotas on the number of students a university can take with a certain level of grades.)
Reply 3
Thanks a lot for the detailed answer! :biggrin: Went for Leeds after all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending