The Student Room Group

MPs want to know: What did you get out of your apprenticeship?

Have you been an apprentice or trainee?

What do you think you got out of it?

The Education Committee in the House of Commons has launched an inquiry looking at the effectiveness and range of apprenticeships and they want to hear your views.

Replies to this thread will be considered before the Committee takes evidence from the Minister responsible for apprenticeships, Nick Boles MP, in the new year.

What happens next?

About the Education Committee

I am currently doing an apprenticeship. I think it's a fantastic opportunity, especially if it's the career area you want and need. Regardless of where you do it, I believe if it's right for you then you can get good prospects.

I think apprenticeships are a better choice than university at the moment, because of the first hand experience you are given in a working environment, ahead of graduates.
I am currently on an apprenticeship right now and I would choose apprenticeships over university 10 times out of 10.

Just the work experience that apprenticeships bring is phenomenal. Nowadays it's extremely hard to get a job without experience, even if you've got a degree. Apprenticeships are the future and I think that they need to be advertised more and given as a legitimate career choice in schools.
I am on an accountancy apprenticeship.

The only thing I regret about not choosing Uni is the social life and the ability to make lifelong friends. As an apprentice, all of your friends go off to Uni to make new friends, so you've kinda got to do the same and that's pretty tricky when you're working.

But you can't really change that.

Things I would say are:
1) I was introduced to apprenticeships in year 10 and they were always spoken about, so when it got to choosing what to do after college, I knew about apprenticeships and they didn't feel like a new thing. I think when people hear about them they think they are more for less academic people, so by getting people to know about them early they'll be able to really research them and think of it as a viable option.

2) Get rid of that minimum wage for apprentices... £2.50 or something isn't it?! If someone told me I could have an apprenticeship at £2.50 an hour I'd laugh at them and walk off. And it's only for the first year. I would say don't have a minimum wage for apprentices- just use the standard rates for employed people.

3) In most peoples mind, apprenticeship = mechanic or some kind of manual labour job. You should advertise the fact that a lot of professional careers call them 'school leaver' schemes.
Thanks for all the useful feedback on your experiences with apprenticeships. What about your views on traineeships? Had you heard of these before?
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you for all your comments. The Committee will use your feedback during Wednesday’s session with Nick Boles MP, Minister of State for Skills and Equalities, Department for Education.

Watch a live streaming of the session on apprenticeships and traineeships for 16-19 years olds on Wednesday 14th January, starting at 9:30 AM http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=16923
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending