The Student Room Group

Should women get paid MENSTRUAL LEAVE every month?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by pianoforte123
I agree that we should get time off, if we need it, and not get laughed at by non- feminist men. We shouldn't feel sorry for something we have no power over.

People say that women would lie about their period...people lie about being ill.
That's one fault in this system.
But why should we not enforce something that would benefit the majority of women.

I'm 16 and I had to go to hospital twice because of my sever period pains ( paracetamol didn't help).
I had to get a drip with anti-contraction medicine. It's not just a little stomach ache.

Then you would have been covered under normal sickness pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by james1211
Then you would have been covered under normal sickness pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

for which you don't get paid for the first 3 days. And I'm sure you can get into trouble for taking too much sick leave.
Reply 22
Original post by james1211
No, terrible idea. Sorry women, you manage without it at the minute, you can manage it for the foreseeable future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

we also managed without the vote and personhood for a while haha!

Anyway. No, I don't think so, but there should be more sympathy and support for women who do have a rough time. Also untaxed sanitary stuff. Having a period isn't a luxury, whatever the government seems to think.
Reply 23
Of course from a woman's perspective it sounds good, but I don't find it necessary. I am an easy case, with this being said
Original post by OU Student
Oh brilliant. So you're happy with penalising me for something that every single month which is out of my control?:rolleyes: Would you be saying the same if you were in my situation? I doubt it?

Should people with lifelong chronic illnesses and diseases also get a week off then to recover? After all, the disease could have been passed down to them and totally out of their control. The disease could have randomly occurred during a point in their life through no fault of their own.

Do you think these people should get a week's paid Recovery Leave each month?
Original post by OU Student
for which you don't get paid for the first 3 days. And I'm sure you can get into trouble for taking too much sick leave.

Well, that does depend on your contract. You're talking about the statutory minimum, and most employers go above and beyond this.
Hmm not sure how it would even be possible to implement for HR and payroll purposes :confused:
Menstrual leave? Really? That's absolutely ridiculous.
I don't think it's necessary for the majority of women. I do however think that women shouldn't be worried about using sick leave for menstrual pain if they do suffer with it. If a Dr has recognised that the person has particularly difficult periods then an employer should be sympathetic towards this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah, I don't want people to know when I'm on my period :lolwut:
Original post by daisychain_
Nah, I don't want people to know when I'm on my period :lolwut:

You can easily tell when someone's on their period anyway. They're always moody, easily irritable and very frustrated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NML Cygni
You can easily tell when someone's on their period anyway. They're always moody, easily irritable and very frustrated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, i guess I'm just oblivious to it :redface:
No it wouldn't help women as it make employers reluctant to hire them. I understand that there may be times when women must take sick leave due to period pain, but it shouldn't become standard that women can take a few days off every month because of their period.
I get it so bad sometimes I'm in tears (and I almost never cry). It's like the rest of your body is numb because your in so much pain. You can't sit up right or sleep and I rock back and forth just to get the pain to sooth, My mum almost took me to the hospital once she was so scared. I walked home from school once and the minute the door opened I ran to lean on something. I have a friend who throws up every time. It's not a tiny stomach ache as some people like to think. Also the woman that love pass judgements on how other woman should "take a pain killer and get on with their day" have never had it that bad, I assure you. I personally don't think paid leave is a bad idea, the pain is so awful for some women. I think as long as this isn't abused(which it most likely will be) then it could work quite well.
Do women realise that sometimes they make it harder for themselves... Businesses are businesses - why would they want to hire someone who is almost guaranteed to take a few days off every month, on top of annual leave...
Original post by myblueheaven339
I don't think it's necessary for the majority of women. I do however think that women shouldn't be worried about using sick leave for menstrual pain if they do suffer with it. If a Dr has recognised that the person has particularly difficult periods then an employer should be sympathetic towards this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would probably agree with this, actually.

My natural reaction was 'No, that's ridiculous' but your point seems to make more sense.

If a woman has been to the doctor and has been diagnosed with difficult periods, and serious period pain, then she should be able to take a few days off sick. However making it a regular thing, for all women, I still think is a bit ridiculous.
Original post by rosebud114
I get it so bad sometimes I'm in tears (and I almost never cry). It's like the rest of your body is numb because your in so much pain. You can't sit up right or sleep and I rock back and forth just to get the pain to sooth, My mum almost took me to the hospital once she was so scared. I walked home from school once and the minute the door opened I ran to lean on something. I have a friend who throws up every time. It's not a tiny stomach ache as some people like to think. Also the woman that love pass judgements on how other woman should "take a pain killer and get on with their day" have never had it that bad, I assure you. I personally don't think paid leave is a bad idea, the pain is so awful for some women. I think as long as this isn't abused(which it most likely will be) then it could work quite well.

Have you been to the doctors about this?
I understand a lot of women with difficult periods may get put on the contraceptive pill, and for some women it helps alleviate some of the worst symptoms.

Don't you agree though, to stop it being abused, it's better to do as a person commented above?
Where if a person is recognized by a medical professional as suffering with bad period pains, they should be able to take it off sick without any objection from the employer. However it shouldn't be made a regular thing, as it will be most likely abused by lots of women who don't suffer with bad period pains.
How is it supposed to boost productivity if you're paying a worker when they're not working? A worker who gets very little done because of illness is still getting more work done than a worker who's getting paid leave...
Original post by abbiemac
I would probably agree with this, actually.

My natural reaction was 'No, that's ridiculous' but your point seems to make more sense.

If a woman has been to the doctor and has been diagnosed with difficult periods, and serious period pain, then she should be able to take a few days off sick. However making it a regular thing, for all women, I still think is a bit ridiculous.

Exactly, and some will be worse than others for example. Some months I am in terrible pain for a couple of days, others I get very little pain. I definitely wouldn't need a week off every month, but I may need a day every now and then when I'm at my worst.
I think this is a good idea, but on a subjective basis. As others have said some women's periods are not too bad and taking painkillers works for them. However, for some women their periods are hell on earth. Regular painkillers don't work, they have an extremly heavy flow, they can be very nausous and throw up.

If this comes into place it definitely has to be subjective; all women experience their periods differently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending