The Student Room Group

Is he stringing me along?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
Ok, thanks for response.

The messaging from him continues.....since date night, he's messaged every single day.....don't get me wrong, not complaining but I'd rather see him...my fingers tips hurt! He did say however he's quite shy, quiet, so maybe that's he's reason for not setting up a date? :-/ What I've started doing is not messaging back so quick, leave it for a few hours - see if that does anything? (Probably not).

First rule is to never make excuses for the behaviours of people you're involved with. I don't believe for one second that the reason for not setting up a date is because he's quiet or shy. You're trying to rationlise bad behaviour, when it's actually more likely a red flag and sign that he's not all that interested.

As far as I'm concerned, whether he's texting you every day or not it is still lazy communication, and you're rewarding him for it by being receptive. It's okay now and again, but if all his communication to you is through texts, IM or emails then he is putting in a half-arsed effort. Please don't tolerate this behaviour. You deserve better, and you have every right to tell him such.

If you'd rather see him, tell him that. Something along the lines of "Look, I only want to be dating guys who are genuinely interested in me. I'm fed up of us just texting, I would rather we met up and chatted. Would you be up for that?" If he is genuinely interested in you, he would would not be offended and waste no time setting something up. If he gives you a half-hearted answer, or worse no answer then don't sell yourself short and make yourself available to someone for a potential relationship who is clearly unavailable. Believe in his actions not his words.
Original post by Menrva
First rule is to never make excuses for the behaviours of people you're involved with. I don't believe for one second that the reason for not setting up a date is because he's quiet or shy. You're trying to rationlise bad behaviour, when it's actually more likely a red flag and sign that he's not all that interested.

As far as I'm concerned, whether he's texting you every day or not it is still lazy communication, and you're rewarding him for it by being receptive. It's okay now and again, but if all his communication to you is through texts, IM or emails then he is putting in a half-arsed effort. Please don't tolerate this behaviour. You deserve better, and you have every right to tell him such.

If you'd rather see him, tell him that. Something along the lines of "Look, I only want to be dating guys who are genuinely interested in me. I'm fed up of us just texting, I would rather we met up and chatted. Would you be up for that?" If he is genuinely interested in you, he would would not be offended and waste no time setting something up. If he gives you a half-hearted answer, or worse no answer then don't sell yourself short and make yourself available to someone for a potential relationship who is clearly unavailable. Believe in his actions not his words.

Ahhh actions speak louder than words.....not heard from him today, the first time since we've started chatting. Suppose he's done me a favour. Onwards and upwards....

Really sick of being in the same 'man cycle' :-(
You're making a big deal out of absolutely nothing. You need to adjust your attitude. You can't expect every single person to want you and then get angry and resent them if they don't text you and meet up with you every single day. He's under no obligation to talk to you or to set up a date with you, you can't expect something that you're not entitled to. If he doesn't want you, f*** him. Move on, forget him and find someone else. He's not worth the fuss. You can't be making a big deal out of these situations, there's nothing here, it's a non-issue. Just forget about the whole thing. There are 3.5 billion men in the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Illegal Algebra
You're making a big deal out of absolutely nothing. You need to adjust your attitude. You can't expect every single person to want you and then get angry and resent them if they don't text you and meet up with you every single day. He's under no obligation to talk to you or to set up a date with you, you can't expect something that you're not entitled to. If he doesn't want you, f*** him. Move on, forget him and find someone else. He's not worth the fuss. You can't be making a big deal out of these situations, there's nothing here, it's a non-issue. Just forget about the whole thing. There are 3.5 billion men in the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

....But it's always the men I like....they're the ones who don't seem as interested in me. YET those that are, I wouldn't touch with a friggin barge pole. I don't resent any of the men, it's just plain annoying! I'm 28, only ever had 1 bf when I was 18, & that lasted 6months! Every bloke since then has either used me to 'fill a sexual gap' or just tied things over until the dust settles with their ex's! Just fed up of being an option :-(. I'm at a point in my life where it would be nice to have a bf, I'm not looking to settle down right this minute but someone I can connect with, enjoy going out with & have good sex with, is what I'd like. Something which to me is so simple YET appears to be the hardest thing to try & get :-(.
Reply 24
....But it's always the men I like....they're the ones who don't seem as interested in me. YET those that are, I wouldn't touch with a friggin barge pole. I don't resent any of the men, it's just plain annoying! I'm 28, only ever had 1 bf when I was 18, & that lasted 6months! Every bloke since then has either used me to 'fill a sexual gap' or just tied things over until the dust settles with their ex's! Just fed up of being an option :-(. I'm at a point in my life where it would be nice to have a bf, I'm not looking to settle down right this minute but someone I can connect with, enjoy going out with & have good sex with, is what I'd like. Something which to me is so simple YET appears to be the hardest thing to try & get :-(.

I know this might suck right now, but please don't give up. Trust me, someone who is right for you will come along, and sometimes that can happen when you least expect it. Perhaps if you have some hobbies you could try joining some clubs, or perhaps (if you're not already) join a paid online dating service where people might be a bit more serious in their intent. Also don't stress about it too much, treat the dates as a fun way of meeting lots of new people :smile: Perhaps try and be more receptive to guys who are geniunely interested in you, as these are the guys that are going to treat you with love, care and respect.

I went through a lot of dates before I met the right guy, and each one was a learning experience. You start to gain an insight in men's dating behaviour and you'll learn what to accept and what to not accept before becoming too emotionally invested. It's important that you know your boundaries and that you don't compromise on them. So take this as a learning experience so that you won't make the same mistake of being receptive to a man's half-hearted behaviour. For whatever reason, this guy is emotionally unavailable and treating you with little active interest - that is unacceptable, so move on to the next before you invest too much of yourself with someone who doesn't deserve you and won't be good relationship material.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Menrva
I know this might suck right now, but please don't give up. Trust me, someone who is right for you will come along, and sometimes that can happen when you least expect it. Perhaps if you have some hobbies you could try joining some clubs, or perhaps (if you're not already) join a paid online dating service where people might be a bit more serious in their intent. Also don't stress about it too much, treat the dates as a fun way of meeting lots of new people :smile: Perhaps try and be more receptive to guys who are geniunely interested in you, as these are the guys that are going to treat you with love, care and respect.

I went through a lot of dates before I met the right guy, and each one was a learning experience. You start to gain an insight in men's dating behaviour and you'll learn what to accept and what to not accept before becoming too emotionally invested. It's important that you know your boundaries and that you don't compromise on them. So take this as a learning experience so that you won't make the same mistake of being receptive to a man's half-hearted behaviour. For whatever reason, this guy is emotionally unavailable and treating you with little active interest - that is unacceptable, so move on to the next before you invest too much of yourself with someone who doesn't deserve you and won't be good relationship material.

When you say 'be more receptive', what exactly do you mean? Thing is, I have never had a proper bf, as such. Ok yes I dated someone for 6months when I as 18, but from what I remember I wasn't 'woo'd' how I hear friends being wooed by men. I didn't go on any dates with that guy, it just happened. Tbh I think it was a relationship solely based on sex! So at the age of 28, I really do not know what is and isn't normal when a guy is trying to pursue. All I know is that all I am good for is sex, which is what I have come to accept. It hurts to know and feel that is all I am worth to the majority of men I have had dealings with, but beginning to think this from now on will be the way forward.

I do agree that I do need more hobbies, but I really do not know what to do. I do a regular form of exercise once a week (not the gym), but meeting a variety of people from that is not enough. I tried paid dating websites, and they were really boring - all I could see/find were men I know full well I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. I am not picky, but if I don't instantly have an attraction for the guy, I will not bother. For example, got 'chatted up' in B&Q on Sunday by a guy who clearly was old enough to be my dad . . .about 5ft 2 and just not attractive whatsoever. I'm 5ft 9, so instantly I was put off by his height also his cheesy corny behaviour. That is the sort of thing that I seem to attract which just annoys me no end.

:frown: - I know they say you have to kiss a of frogs until you find your Prince, but it is becoming a bit of a joke, but also starting to get me down. I sound desperate to have a bf, I'm not, just want to be taken seriously and no longer be the butt of a mans joke!!! :frown:
. . .With regards to the bloke I made the thread about . . .haven't heard from him again today however I am still on his FB! He hasn't deleted me . .although I don't doubt that soon I will be removed! :dontknow: Kinda figured if he wasn't interested, he would have removed me by now? :dontknow:
. . .With regards to the bloke I made the thread about . . .haven't heard from him again today however I am still on his FB! He hasn't deleted me . .although I don't doubt that soon I will be removed! :dontknow: Kinda figured if he wasn't interested, he would have removed me by now? :dontknow:

Don't waste your time on him and move on. There's so many men in this world who will treat you right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StyleIcon
Don't waste your time on him and move on. There's so many men in this world who will treat you right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I've moved on. Deleted his number from my phone.

Beginning to think I'm perhaps better off selling myself - that's all blokes see me as & that's all I can get! Might as take advantage & make a bit of money from it :-( That is how low I feel, perhaps OTT but when you experience the same thing over & over & over again, it begins to knock your self worth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending