The Student Room Group

Transferring between foundation schools for F2

Just seeking some realistic advice about switching foundation schools. I'm currently an FY1 in Leeds, but my partner is in Manchester and obviously this doesn't fit the criteria for inter-deanery transfers, but I'm hoping to find a way to make the move across the Penines for next August.

I was just wondering if there was anyone who has actually transferred between deaneries after FY1, or if you've heard anything on the grapevine about anyone who has. Would I be able to go for a LAT or is that a bit risky? And do I have to give up my current FY2 place before I can apply for a LAT? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
I have a friend who was F1 in Hull and transferred to Oxford for F2. I think he had to resign from the foundation programme in that deanery and find a training F2 job elsewhere. Perhaps you could ask your educational supervisor or local foundation programme director.
i dont think its a matter of 'transferring' per se, its most likely you'll have to resign from your current F2 post and apply for a post in manchester separately. either way there wont be a guarantee that you get a place as you're basically just quitting your job and applying for a new one. there will be others applying for the same post. dont put your job at risk unless you're absolutely sure, dont put all your eggs in one basket and dont make any serious decisions until you're absolutely sure and know the risks. i'm always skepitcal of people doing things like that for their partners. i'm sure you two love each other and all but what happens in the 0.2% chance you break up and you're left with no job having had quit your job to move to manchester? or worse you end up getting a F2 post in manchester and hating it because you preferred the job at leeds?
LDR suck but i'd rather have a job and far away from my partner than be broke, unemployed and living with my partner.
Why not apply for the FY2 LAT posts in Manchester, and only quit your currently allocated FY2 job after you have been given and offer from the jobs you have applied.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
My friend moved from East Kent to the Midlands but like others said she had to resign and reapply. And it worked because she was moving to an area that wasn't too popular.
Reply 5
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else has any advice on this, my partner is considering trying to get an F2 LAT next year i.e. starting in 2017.

Is it possible to apply for one, and then resign from the foundation programme you are on after getting accepted to an F2 LAT? Or do you have to resign in order to be eligible to apply?

Any advice/recommendations from anyone who has gone through this process would be much appreciated.
I'm going through this process now and have an interview for FY2 LAT next week. You do not have to resign from your current job until you have been given a guaranteed place. You need to keep an eye out for jobs on the NHS jobs website and ORIEL, from around march onwards. There is a document you can find on most foundation school sites that explains the criteria and person specification.
Reply 7
Original post by michelledoc
I'm going through this process now and have an interview for FY2 LAT next week. You do not have to resign from your current job until you have been given a guaranteed place. You need to keep an eye out for jobs on the NHS jobs website and ORIEL, from around march onwards. There is a document you can find on most foundation school sites that explains the criteria and person specification.

Thank you, that's really helpful.
Reply 8
Original post by cuw
Thank you, that's really helpful.

and good luck for the interview!
Hi michelledoc

Im heading to a foundation school that was not my first choice - but iv decided to make the most of it this F1 yr with an aim to apply for a LAT post FY2.
Hence apologies in advance for all the questions!

I was wondering about the process - did they pick you for interview based on what you have achieved over the F1 year? What sort of things should I keep my eye out for during F1 to maximise my chances?And how is the interview structured? Is it a panel, scenarios etc?
And what type of questions did they ask you?

Hope it went well for you and you got the job you wanted!
Manchester and Leeds are so close though! :redface:

Hope it worked out how you wanted.
Hi EeBe

Sorry this is a bit off topic. I'm a 5th year applying for west yorks (hopefully) for F1 starting in august. I was just wondering how you've found leeds? I've heard it's not very supportive, but i'm quite torn because I think you'll get better experience in Leeds than smaller hospitals like harrogate/ airedale. Do you get good teaching & have reasonable timetables? Would really appreciate your opinion. Thanks in advance.
Hi,

I am a current f1 just started but i am thinking of trying to switch deanery for f2 to be with my partner. I was just hoping for some advice on how easy this is to do and whether or not it will look bad for future job applications as i haven't stuck out my training for two years in the same place? any help would be greatly appreaciated :smile:
Hello,

I saw you may have completed F2 stand alone. I had some questions and I cant seem to get any answers from anywhere, so I was wondering if you could help.
Firstly do you come out of F2 after stand alone with the same 'qualification' as if you were in a two year programme/ is there any difference in them which could affect my training.
Additionally, I know with the two year programme they like you to have completed a community placement-usually Gp or psych. If i'm applying for stand alone and will not have one of these in F1 do I need to make sure I do them in my stand alone jobs? I've also done paeds this year- do i need to make sure I don't repeat
Finally, will anymore jobs be added as time goes on, there really isn't many available and none in London?

I would really really appreciate any help/ advice!

Thank you
Original post by michelledoc
Reply 14
Hi sorry for the bump in an old thread. Does anyone know if this process is still the same and difficult for anyone who got married during F1 and needs to move closer to their partner for their F2 year?