The Student Room Group

Shall I do STEP I in Y12?

Scroll to see replies

I was only going to do it if there was any point, clearly there isn't unless I teach myself all the modules I'll be learning next year which is pointless otherwise than a bit of fun. I'll just make sure I get 100's in AS levels, then I'll worry about STEP.
Reply 21
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Well I know I don't need it, they would just help. STEP II and III i would, but much less so STEP I

Did you take STEP 1 in year 12 in the end?
Original post by maranas
Did you take STEP 1 in year 12 in the end?

No xD My teacher told me not too and I just trusted his judgement lol :biggrin:
Reply 23

Are you applying to do maths?
Original post by maranas
Are you applying to do maths?

Computer Science/ Computer Science and Maths :P
Reply 25
Computer Science/ Computer Science and Maths :P

where and have you had any offers yet?
Original post by maranas
where and have you had any offers yet?

I'll give you a run down on my UCAS application process so far:
Cambridge - Interview on 9th December for Computer Science with Maths
Imperial - Offer A*A*A(A) in Maths/ Further Maths, with the A's in Physics/ Additional Further Maths (AS) for JMC Mathematics and Computer Science
UCL - A*AA offer in Maths, with the A's in both Further Maths/Physics to study Computer Science
Warwick - AAA offer for Computer Science
Manchester - I rejected the Interview invitation. For Computer Science and Mathematics

My teacher was hesitant to let me do it, they never had anyone ask to sit the exam in the lower 6, and my performance in mocks was sometimes shaky. They talked to me like "Try to get full solutions, 3 fulls is better than 6 partials" was the kind of advice they gave me. I think the whole maths department was expecting me to get a grade 2 or 3 but I came out with a strong 1, doing 4 fulls in the actual exam, and my school actually ended up giving me a scholarship because of my performance in it, even though my Maths UMS relative to the rest of the year wasn't right at the top end thanks to messing up two of the applied modules.

Would I recommend doing it? Hell yes. Go for it. Just having the exam there is excellent motivation and you will work harder and be stronger with that motivation. It is absolutely 100% worth it. If you score strongly in it, well done, give yourself a pat on the back and enjoy the benefits, if you do badly in it, Cambridge is willing to overlook it. You have nothing to lose

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending