The Student Room Group

Does this count as being sexually abused?

When I was little, between about the ages of 5-6 a boy slightly older than me was supposedly my 'friend'. However whenever we were alone together he would bully me, physically hurt me and touch me inappropriately to the point where it physically hurt me too.

I was too scared to tell anyone this at the time, or even now because of how dirty it's made me feel, and how ashamed I am of what happened.

Luckily for me he moved away about a year later, otherwise I just know he would have carried on.

Does this count as sexual abuse?
Hi

I am really sorry to hear about what happened to you. Abuse and other things that make us upset in childhood can have a long lasting impact and can raise lots of confusing questions.

In terms of defining what happened you, it must have been scary and was really inappropriate. Sometimes children may engage in sexually harmful behaviour as they don't understand what they are doing is abusive or wrong. To be defined as sexual abuse, it depends on how old this boy was and if he knew what he was doing was wrong and was upsetting you. But, the most important thing is this was really traumatic for you and is still affecting you now.

Please know that you did nothing wrong and have nothing to be ashamed of.

It may help to talk about what happened with a counsellor. You can get a referral from your GP or you could contact rape crisis who speak to a lot of people who were abused as children and can offer you support and advice.
http://www.rapecrisis.org.uk/
0808 802 9999

I hope this helps,
take care
Jo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending