The Student Room Group

Email from universities prasing your personal statement

Yesterday I got an offer from university of Reading (where I applied to study ecology and conservation). In the email they congratulated me on my personal statement saying how good it was! I was just wondering whether this is normal and whether others have had a similar thing?
Reply 1
There was a thread on this a few weeks ago. Some unis seem to do it as a form of marketing.
Reply 2
Oh! That happen to me too from Reading university for my biology personal statement. I thought it was normal but Reading university was the only one that praised my personal statement while the rest of my applications to other universities just offered me a place.
Reply 3
I have had 3 offers including reading and reading are there only to reply with a personalised email
I mentioned bacon in mine but didn't get a personalised email back, psh!

Anyway are you sure it is personalised? It is not uncommon to praise all successful applications with the same generic message (ie; We were impressed enough to give you an offer), but if it was something more like 'That was the best statement I've read in my life' then it was personal :P
Reply 5
Original post by coffeecakey
I mentioned bacon in mine but didn't get a personalised email back, psh!

Anyway are you sure it is personalised? It is not uncommon to praise all successful applications with the same generic message (ie; We were impressed enough to give you an offer), but if it was something more like 'That was the best statement I've read in my life' then it was personal :P

It was personal because it referred to an organisation that I had done some work experience with
Reply 6
I got an email form Manchester saying Great news on your application. Nothing actually changed(I was hoping they'd made my offer unconditional LOL that's not even possible for me). They do this in order to make you feel privileged and special and put them as your first choice(my opinion).
Reply 7
I was thinking that too, but shows that they want you though! :smile:
I got a hand-written letter from Aberystwyth about my personal statement. It's just trying to entice you to their university.
Reply 9
I got one from the university of York. But I think it is because my course is so new (starts 2015) and they only take 20 applicants so I think the teachers/admissions tutors for this subject have more time to be more personalized with their responses. But she also praised everything in the email from my grades, to personal statement to extra curricular activities. I will now feel really bad because I think I will put either Leicester or UEA as my first choice.:frown:
Reply 10
Original post by kingdoo
I got one from the university of York. But I think it is because my course is so new (starts 2015) and they only take 20 applicants so I think the teachers/admissions tutors for this subject have more time to be more personalized with their responses. But she also praised everything in the email from my grades, to personal statement to extra curricular activities. I will now feel really bad because I think I will put either Leicester or UEA as my first choice.:frown:

And that's why they do it.
Reply 11
Original post by AlexB96
Yesterday I got an offer from university of Reading (where I applied to study ecology and conservation). In the email they congratulated me on my personal statement saying how good it was! I was just wondering whether this is normal and whether others have had a similar thing?

Did you reply to this email or did you just wait for your offer to come through UCAS?
Reply 12
No I didnt I will respond through ucas, they only confirmed the offer today
Reply 13
Not had a reply from Reading as of yet as my form was only submitted to the universities on the 15th; when I get a reply from them I'll see if they give me any praise :biggrin: did it affect your overall offer in any way or was it just simply a complement?
They're massaging your ego, and hoping that it will encourage you to firm that uni. You can safely ignore it.
Reply 15
It's sort of given that your PS will have been good or at least acceptable if you got a place. It shall be a mass-mail thing, I think there was another thread on this some time ago...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending