The Student Room Group

Docking wages due to stolen goods ? Petrol station assitant

Hello

I started my new part time job yesterday at a Petrol station and I was told some rather concerning information from the manager. I work behind the tills

Essentially, If there is a scenario where a driver drives away without paying ( Both intentionally or not ), The amount stolen will be docked from my wage since I should be vigilant looking on the forecourt.

I find that a really harsh and borderline law breaking situation right ? I mean shouldn't they have camera's to get numberplates, There's enough work to be doing behind the tills nevermind keeping lookout the people stealing petrol.

I find it hard because even if I saw someone steal petrol, What can I do about it, I would first have to leave the till unattended and then challenge the person who won't pay if I manage to get to their car in time.

I get paid £6.50 an hour and I will be doing 10-15 hours a week, From when talking to employees stolen fuel is a common issue. I mean everytime I go to work I run the risk of not getting paid ???

Help please ( Especially law or HR students haha )

Thank you

Tom
Reply 1
You would need to check your contract. They can't do this if you haven't agreed to it - but if you don't agree, really all you can do is leave. It does seem to be quite a common clause for people working at petrol stations.

You might find it helpful to read this or this.
Reply 2
Jeez, that seems a bit extreme! Must be an independent station?

We have loads of cameras and when someone drives off they get checked and if we get the details of the car and a description of the person, the Police are informed who then send a letter to the cars registered keeper. Then they come in all sorry and "I've never done anything like this before" and pay then we have to inform the Police that they've paid.
One of our staff members was involved in a 'hit and run' incident as the driver simply did not want to stop when the staff member became aware that they hadn't paid. The driver was willing to knock the staff member flying in order to not be caught!
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
You would need to check your contract. They can't do this if you haven't agreed to it - but if you don't agree, really all you can do is leave. It does seem to be quite a common clause for people working at petrol stations.

You might find it helpful to read this or this.

I read somewhere else that they had an unlawful "rule" written into their contract that they had signed before they started working at a shop... and that it basically ended up that just signing a contract doesn't necessarily mean it stands. i.e you might have signed to lose wages if fuel is stolen, but if it's not legal to do so then they cannot dock your wages for this.

will try to find source :smile:

just my interpretation of what may have happened...
Reply 5
Original post by SP0TIFY
I read somewhere else that they had an unlawful "rule" written into their contract that they had signed before they started working at a shop... and that it basically ended up that just signing a contract doesn't necessarily mean it stands. i.e you might have signed to lose wages if fuel is stolen, but if it's not legal to do so then they cannot dock your wages for this.

will try to find source :smile:

just my interpretation of what may have happened...

As the link I posted shows, unfortunately it is lawful, as long as certain conditions are met (ie deductions don't make up more than 10% of pay)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending