The Student Room Group

Oxidation Numbers Help:

Hello, just a bit puzzled. Question is: Determine oxidation number of each element in this compound: Zn(OH)4 I thought the oxidation number of zinc would be 8+ but its 2+ and need help to find out oxidation of hydrogen and oxygen because not sure what to do as Zn is a transition metal. Thanks, Harry
Original post by ArgonRocks
Hello, just a bit puzzled. Question is: Determine oxidation number of each element in this compound: Zn(OH)4 I thought the oxidation number of zinc would be 8+ but its 2+ and need help to find out oxidation of hydrogen and oxygen because not sure what to do as Zn is a transition metal. Thanks, Harry

I think you've copied the question down incorrectly. Zn(OH)4 doesn't exist. The question is either talking about zinc hydroxide, Zn(OH)2 or the zincate ion, Zn(OH)42- (I'm guessing it's the zincate ion and you just forgot the 2- charge).

Apart from that though, I don't understand how you got to 8+. You should know that the charge of the hydroxide group is 1- and that the oxidation state of oxygen is almost always 2-.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
I think you've copied the question down incorrectly. Zn(OH)4 doesn't exist. The question is either talking about zinc hydroxide, Zn(OH)2 or the zincate ion, Zn(OH)42- (I'm guessing it's the zincate ion and you just forgot the 2- charge).

Apart from that though, I don't understand how you got to 8+. You should know that the charge of the hydroxide group is 1- and that the oxidation state of oxygen is almost always 2-.

Thanks just checked and I did copy the question wrong but still how would you find oxidation state of hydrogen or oxygen
Original post by ArgonRocks
Thanks just checked and I did copy the question wrong but still how would you find oxidation state of hydrogen or oxygen

Well as I said, the charge on the hydroxy group is always 1- and the oxidation state of oxygen is almost always 2-, you can work out the state of hydrogen from that.

Quick Reply

Latest