The Student Room Group

Learn Which Programming Language to Choose With This Infographic

http://lifehacker.com/learn-which-programming-language-to-choose-with-this-in-1669612111

Choosing a programming language takes a lot of consideration: what do you want to do with the language, what platforms you're working with, and what salary range can you expect in the field, and more. This infographic gives you a ton of information about some of the more popular languages.

It also includes what cities a language is popular in, top employers, and "tidbits of wisdom" which are unique to each language. Check out the graphic for yourself below.

Looks like Java may be the best language to learn, due to it being the best paying language out there and the fact it's most likely to be useful in 10 years. Still, a good infographic that should make things clearer for those not decided on which language to learn.
Original post by navarre
http://lifehacker.com/learn-which-programming-language-to-choose-with-this-in-1669612111

Looks like Java may be the best language to learn, due to it being the best paying language out there and the fact it's most likely to be useful in 10 years. Still, a good infographic that should make things clearer for those not decided on which language to learn.

Salary expectations alone are a bad way to select a language to learn. though. It depends on your area of interest really. You're right though that Java is probably one of the languages to remain in circulation for some time to come.
PHP is a good language to learn. A lot of people hate it and therefore once you prove yourself there is good potential to progress quite quickly.

Ruby is a good language to learn as well as there's not enough Ruby developers to keep up with the demand. I frequently see Ruby on Rails developer positions being advertised for £30k plus. Obviously, you'd also need to know about Rails then as well.

JavaScript developers tend to be the most wanted as its a very versatile language.
Reply 3
Don't forget c# no idea why the infographic doesnt include it. It's a well designed language with lots of jobs as its used for web and desktop app development and the Microsofts IDE and librarys are great.
(edited 9 years ago)
I started with HTML/CSS as in my eyes, it's fundamental to all code.

That being said, I now know HTML, CSS, Python, Java (fraction of PHP) and I'm going to start learning Ruby.

I recommend Udemy for courses. They don't come cheap, but you can usually get a big course (I got one with 44 hrs of content) for like $10 or £6.50. :smile:

Trouble is also finding time to fit learning in.
Original post by abrack
I started with HTML/CSS as in my eyes, it's fundamental to all code.

That being said, I now know HTML, CSS, Python, Java (fraction of PHP) and I'm going to start learning Ruby.

I recommend Udemy for courses. They don't come cheap, but you can usually get a big course (I got one with 44 hrs of content) for like $10 or £6.50. :smile:

Trouble is also finding time to fit learning in.

Skillshare is the best mate.
Original post by Pseudocode
Skillshare is the best mate.

I'll have a look. Thanks! :smile:
It depends upon our interest only, whatever language you choosing you should master on that langauage. In my point of view PHP is the easy language to learn and work.
Reply 8
PHP is a good language to learn. A lot of people hate it and therefore once you prove yourself there is good potential to progress quite quickly.

There's a good reason why a lot of people hate PHP - it is an objectively poor programming language created by people who, frankly, lacked the necessary aptitude to create a programming language. This tends to be rapidly acknowledged by programmers with any considerable experience beyond PHP. Its success is due to it being an early entry on the web programming scene which allowed it to reach critical mass and become widespread and well-known.

It's about time the web grew out of PHP and with the recent rise of good quality web application frameworks for more mature languages (note that by "more mature" I don't necessarily mean "older") and improved abstraction and architecture in web applications in general, this is poised to happen - I wouldn't recommend learning PHP.

JavaScript developers tend to be the most wanted as its a very versatile language.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, really - JavaScript is still largely confined to the front-end (while there is a trend towards using JavaScript on the server, the commercial requirement for this is usually limited to task runners and other utility applications where real knowledge of the language tends to be largely unnecessary), so learning JavaScript is a necessity if you want to be a front-end web developer but otherwise it will happen if and when it needs to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9

Also remember whilst PHP is bad Javascript is an abomination. An entire industry has been created just trying to make Javascript a tolerable programming experience. Like php its got a low bar for entry but that doesn't make these languages good.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by INTit
Also remember whilst PHP is bad Javascript is an abomination. An entire industry has been created just trying to make Javascript a tolerable programming experience. Like php its got a low bar for entry but that doesn't make these languages good.

I guess we have to also judge a language and platform by what it allows us to do. There aren't many PHP apps out there that couldn't be replaced by some far nicer Rails/Django/ASP of your choice. Javascript is... well, unreplaceable for the modern web.
Original post by Planto
There's a good reason why a lot of people hate PHP - it is an objectively poor programming language created by people who, frankly, lacked the necessary aptitude to create a programming language.

Apparently the next PHP is meant to be better. Facebook have shown that money talks.

Original post by INTit

Javascript *used* to be an abomination. Then it got better. The industry you mention has done a reasonable job of making it decent (just shows what a lack of choice can achieve). Life isn't so bad on the hipster bandwagon, even if there is a risk of falling off and being left behind.

Original post by estel
Javascript is... well, unreplaceable for the modern web.

A fun video related to this - https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/the-birth-and-death-of-javascript

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending