The Student Room Group

Can i study zoology at uni with a biology a-level but no other science?

basically i am in year 11 about to chose my a-level options. i can pick 4, and definitely am picking biology (i enjoy it so much and am good at it) and french. I know having another science (chemistry or physics) would be really helpful but i find them soo hard and dont think i will be able to do them at a-level really. On the Lincoln University website it says that to take zoology i must have 300 UCAS points, including 80 points from biology so would i be fine without taking another science? :confused: ty guys (new to this site btw)
Reply 1
Check the websites of the unis you think you might be aiming for in the future, or just a lot of them, and see. Usually they will specify explicitly which sciences you must have done at A Level to be able to cope with the course, but if they only explicitly mention biology then there's a good chance you'll manage alright without chemistry or physics :smile:

Edit: alternatively you could email some unis and confirm if you'd like to be 100% sure and they'll tell you straight

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lilyghz
Check the websites of the unis you think you might be aiming for in the future, or just a lot of them, and see. Usually they will specify explicitly which sciences you must have done at A Level to be able to cope with the course, but if they only explicitly mention biology then there's a good chance you'll manage alright without chemistry or physics :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!! I know Lincoln only asks for biology, and i really wanna go there, i'm just worried that it will be difficult for me to get a place there without other sciences?
Reply 3
Original post by abbieunderwood
Thanks!! I know Lincoln only asks for biology, and i really wanna go there, i'm just worried that it will be difficult for me to get a place there without other sciences?

It's hard to say. If Lincoln advertises their requirements NOW as 300 ucas points with 80 from biology then surely you'll be alright without another science, unless it says somewhere that they show preference to 2 sciences. Also it's worth bearing in mind that they're entitled to change their requirements for the next year of entry as they could require another science in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A lot of places will accept you with only one lab science A-level.

Don't forget that Maths is widely considered a science, and many places will accept subjects like Psychology and Geography as sciences as well. So you could find yourself with more than one science after all.

EDIT:
Royal Holloway: ABB with Biology only specified
Queen Mary: ABB with Biology only specified, but will lower your offer if you take two other sciences (Physics/Chem/Maths/FM/Geography)
Reading: BBB with two sciences, however their list of sciences include Geography, Geology, Psychology, Enviromental Science and Applied Science
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest