The Student Room Group

Russia's military going into 2015

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/russias-military-will-get-bigger-and-better-in-2015/512753.html
Ignoring the fact about how they are planning on funding this expansion, what are your thoughts on this?
I personally think that its awesome, seeing all of their new tech, the ratnik body armour, Borei class submarines, the T-50 and i can't wait to see the new Armata unveiled next year.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lionheart96
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/russias-military-will-get-bigger-and-better-in-2015/512753.html
Ignoring the fact about how they are planning on funding this expansion, what are your thoughts on this?
I personally think that its awesome, seeing all of their new tech, the ratnik body armour, Borei class submarines, the T-50 and i can't wait to see the new Armata unveiled next year.

The Russians have been re arming for some time.

Looks like the good old bad old bays if the Cold War are on the horizon.
Original post by MatureStudent36

To be fair though, is Russia still pushing for world Communism?
Original post by felamaslen

Nope. But it's push for world communism was more to do with pushing Russia's sphere if influence. Georgia, the Ukraine, Iran, Syria etc, have all shown that Russia wants to get back to being top dog.
Reply 4

Is it?
Nope. But it's push for world communism was more to do with pushing Russia's sphere if influence. Georgia, the Ukraine, Iran, Syria etc, have all shown that Russia wants to get back to being top dog.

True, but I don't think the threat is quite as bad this time because there is no ideological anchor for people to latch onto. Far fewer people sympathise with Russia than with Communism, worldwide, so this time it is harder for Russia to gain support.

Original post by D.n.A
Is it?

It was a rhetorical question. :wink:
Reply 6

The Russians can't afford it. If the oil price stays low for any stretch of time their screwed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
The Russians can't afford it. If the oil price stays low for any stretch of time their screwed

Posted from TSR Mobile

bearing in mind they're modernising their economy at the same time, with plans to move away from relying on oil and gas.

I don't see it that way at all, i see it as Russia not attempting to push its sphere of influence but as Russia reacting to the west pushing it's sphere of influence. Russia isn't on the offensive its taking a defensive stance.
Original post by Aj12

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Russians have been doing it for some time and still have some time to go.

To fill the capability gap, they've enhanced their ICBM fleet first.
bearing in mind they're modernising their economy at the same time, with plans to move away from relying on oil and gas.

I don't see it that way at all, i see it as Russia not attempting to push its sphere of influence but as Russia reacting to the west pushing it's sphere of influence. Russia isn't on the offensive its taking a defensive stance.

How no?

Is sending troops to South Ossetia and the ukraine defensive?
Reply 10
The Russian elite working hard to suppress the liberties of individuals and to subvert them to their quasi-mystical Russian identity. So long as there are manipulative elites and people stupid enough to be subverted to nationalism people will be exploited militarily for resources. What is a State? A collection of individuals. No. It's a small collection of individuals who have power over a large number.
(edited 9 years ago)

someone has been naughty:

Dear reader,

Due to the increasing number of users engaging in personal attacks, spam, trolling and abusive comments, we are no longer able to host our forum as a site for constructive and intelligent debate.

It is with regret, therefore, that we have found ourselves forced to suspend the commenting function on our articles.

The Moscow Times remains committed to the principle of public debate and hopes to welcome you to a new, constructive forum in the future.

Regards,

The Moscow Times
Reply 12
Original post by the bear
someone has been naughty:

Dear reader,

Due to the increasing number of users engaging in personal attacks, spam, trolling and abusive comments, we are no longer able to host our forum as a site for constructive and intelligent debate.

It is with regret, therefore, that we have found ourselves forced to suspend the commenting function on our articles.

The Moscow Times remains committed to the principle of public debate and hopes to welcome you to a new, constructive forum in the future.

Regards,

The Moscow Times

I would not be surprised if it was a very careful attempt by the Russian State to resist criticism.

The military is being increased as a warning to those who dare resist the State as the rouble is falling and the Russians return to Yeltsin era.
How no?

Is sending troops to South Ossetia and the Ukraine defensive?

Georgia attacked Russian peacekeepers and bombed a town in south Ossetia, Russia responded.
The Georgian military was built up and funded by the USA in order to get it up to the standards for becoming a NATO member.
There was a coup d'etat in Ukraine (not the Ukraine like you keep calling it) and Russia felt the need to respond by taking Crimea out of fear that it would become part of NATO thereby making Russia lose a strategic advantage and access to the black sea and the Mediterranean.
Whether or not that fear was legitimate is another debate
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tupac yo
I would not be surprised if it was a very careful attempt by the Russian State to resist criticism.

The military is being increased as a warning to those who dare resist the State as the rouble is falling and the Russians return to Yeltsin era.

lol, quite a lot of news site block the comments section, it doesn't all have to be "yes so Putin gave a direct order himself to block the comments section on the Moscow times as there was a lot of dissent and a fear of revolution and the overthrow of our government sparking from these comments." xD
Georgia attacked Russian peacekeepers and bombed a town in south Ossetia, Russia responded.
There was a coup d'etat in Ukraine (not the Ukraine like you keep calling it) and Russia felt the need to respond by taking Crimea out of fear that it would become part of NATO thereby making Russia lose a strategic advantage and access to the black sea and the Mediterranean.
Whether or not that fear was legitimate is another debate

Russia's going through a transitional period at the moment being led by a nationalist president who spent most of his working life as a KGB officer.

Care to explain why UK airspace, as well as other European airs peace keeps getting probed/over flown by Russian aircraft in the last few years?

You either need to stop watching Russia today. Or stop being confrontational to try and make yourself seem more interesting to members of the opposite sex.
Russia's going through a transitional period at the moment being led by a nationalist president who spent most of his working life as a KGB officer.

Care to explain why UK airspace, as well as other European airs peace keeps getting probed/over flown by Russian aircraft in the last few years?

You either need to stop watching Russia today. Or stop being confrontational to try and make yourself seem more interesting to members of the opposite sex.

1. George Bush senior was the head of the CIA, Obama worked for a company that had close ties with the CIA. Everything seems fine there.
2. Lol thats not true, its International airspace, the planes are just flying near UK airspace not actually entering it, you should watch less BBC news and buy into media hype.
3. What? your last comment doesn't even make sense.

I've read some very good stuff about the new Russian tanks and submarine fleet however the plans for their air force and navy don't really worry NATO i suspect right now.

Personally though i believe Russia is acting like a cornered animal and while i do think the west should continue to push forwards (to hell with appeasing Russia) i also think that for the first time in my life there may be a realistic chance of a proper Russia-West proxy war occurring in the next few years as tension heats up.

In my view, the UK must view this increased military spending as an act of aggression and do the same. Our naval and air technology is just as if not more advanced, we must increase the size. I also think that say 10,000 troops to the Chernilhiv, Poltava and Kirovohrad regions would draw a line in the sand which Russia would not cross.

Are you serious? Russia is a neoliberal's wet dream

Moving their economy away from oil and gas will take quite some time and the reason they are doing that is because the US will be exporting gas to Europe from 2020 anyway. The irony of all this is they are just cementing lost future custom since Poland, Germany and France are not going to carry on buying Russian gas if this is how they will act. Russia's actions here will be a US economic gain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending