The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Reading List/Suggestions for Politics & Philosophy?

Hi,

I received an offer from LSE for the BSc in Politics & Philosophy last month and as I am on a Gap Year I'd like to get a kick start on reading for university. I was wondering if anybody here was on the specific course and could give me an accurate list of what books to read?

My mother always buys me school books for christmas and she's been nagging me about what books I need for next year..but at least I then don't have to personally pay for them!
Reply 1
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
Hi,

I received an offer from LSE for the BSc in Politics & Philosophy last month and as I am on a Gap Year I'd like to get a kick start on reading for university. I was wondering if anybody here was on the specific course and could give me an accurate list of what books to read?

My mother always buys me school books for christmas and she's been nagging me about what books I need for next year..but at least I then don't have to personally pay for them!

I'm neither studying nor applying for this course, but I do know that some suitable books for all courses are listed on the LSE website.

If you go to your course page you can then access pages for each module which contain some suggested books under the title 'indicative reading'.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Johnh4
I'm neither studying nor applying for this course, but I do know that some suitable books for all courses are listed on the LSE website.

If you go to your course page you can then access pages for each module which contain some suggested books under the title 'indicative reading'.

I've given those links to my mother already, I was looking for a more personal and up to date (because some of those reading lists we're published on the 2013 cycle) what books are most relevant/necessary' as a starting point, but anyway thank you for your help!! 💋
I'm applying for Philosophy this year and I absolutely love the subject, so I'd be happy to suggest some of the things I've read! (Many of them are political too)

J.S. Mill: On Liberty, The Subjection of Women, Considerations on Representative Government, Utilitarianism

Hume: An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion

Locke: Second Treatise of Government, A Letter Concerning Toleration

Rousseau: Discourse on the Origins of Inequality, The Social Contract

Berkeley: Principles of Human Knowledge, Three Dialogues between Hylas and Philonous

Ayer: Language, Truth and Logic, The Concept of a Person (a series of essays, much better than former work)

O'Connor: Free Will (part of a series - fairly basic but very, very interesting)

Simmonds: Central Issues in Jurisprudence (If you're interested in political philosophy, read this book - honestly indispensable and always interesting)

Those are the ones I'd say are most interesting :smile: Lots of people would recommend Russell's 'Problems of Philosophy', which I personally disliked, but consider that too!
Original post by tomfailinghelp
I'm applying for Philosophy this year and I absolutely love the subject, so I'd be happy to suggest some of the things I've read! (Many of them are political too)

J.S. Mill: On Liberty, The Subjection of Women, Considerations on Representative Government, Utilitarianism

Hume: An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion

Locke: Second Treatise of Government, A Letter Concerning Toleration

Rousseau: Discourse on the Origins of Inequality, The Social Contract

Berkeley: Principles of Human Knowledge, Three Dialogues between Hylas and Philonous

Ayer: Language, Truth and Logic, The Concept of a Person (a series of essays, much better than former work)

O'Connor: Free Will (part of a series - fairly basic but very, very interesting)

Simmonds: Central Issues in Jurisprudence (If you're interested in political philosophy, read this book - honestly indispensable and always interesting)

Those are the ones I'd say are most interesting :smile: Lots of people would recommend Russell's 'Problems of Philosophy', which I personally disliked, but consider that too!

This is a very good list.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending