The Student Room Group

Hello! I'm in year 11 and I want to get into doing medicine in uni...

Sorry if you don't mind could u (medicine students) please put down what grades u got in gcse and ur alevel and what subjects u chose because I don't know what subjects to chose for certain in college. Hopefully this will give me confidence to still fight for my medicine dream... Thank you ! Sorry if this is too personal 😳

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by cathasatail
Hi I'm in the same boat as you, also a fellow year 11! I emailed Birmingham city university and they said that my proposed plan for a levels of biology, chemistry, English and government & politics was fine for them. I am predicted between 9-11 A*s at gcse with A*s predicted in the required bio, chem, English and maths. It depends on your proposed university, bcu has a* requirements for gcse and practically all A 's for A level.

By the way for my gcse options I chose german, graphics, history and geography- had to take german and at least one humanity to get the EBACC thing.
Hope that helped you in some way.

Sam

(Good luck in the summer with the exams, hope everything goes well! Or as my German teacher would say- Viel Gluck!)

Are you saying you asked Birmingham City University about Medicine?
Reply 3
Hi I'm in the same boat as you, also a fellow year 11! I emailed Birmingham city university and they said that my proposed plan for a levels of biology, chemistry, English and government & politics was fine for them. I am predicted between 9-11 A*s at gcse with A*s predicted in the required bio, chem, English and maths. It depends on your proposed university, bcu has a* requirements for gcse and practically all A 's for A level.

By the way for my gcse options I chose german, graphics, history and geography- had to take german and at least one humanity to get the EBACC thing.
Hope that helped you in some way.

Sam

(Good luck in the summer with the exams, hope everything goes well! Or as my German teacher would say- Viel Gluck!)

BCU doesn't have a medical school.

Got there before I could.
Apologies, I meant Birmingham University (sorry)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ronove
Are you saying you asked Birmingham City University about Medicine?

Apologies, I got confused between BCU and birmingham university, I emailed birmingham university (not BCU, my mistake!)

I am looking at Diagnostic Radiography at BCU and Medicine and Surgery undergraduate at Birmingham.

Sam
(edited 9 years ago)
Apologies, I got confused between BCU and birmingham university, I emailed birmingham university (not BCU, my mistake!)

I am looking at Diagnostic Radiography at BCU and Medicine and Surgery undergraduate at Birmingham.

Sam

They're just making the point that BCU doesn't do medicine. But you've already cleared up that you actually meant Birmingham, not Birmingham City.
I'm in Year 12 but definitely applying to medicine next year should everything go to plan! I got mostly A*s at GCSE and a couple of As. As for AS, I'm doing Biology, Chem, Maths & English Literature and really enjoying all of them - so much more enjoyable than GCSE because we got the freedom of choice. I'm predicted all As for AS and also doing lots of volunteering at the moment, while attempting to get hospital placements for next half-term and experience at GPs.

Everyone says AS is hard but since I really enjoy my subjects, I sort of like it being that way as you get to do more independent learning etc.
Original post by Crumpet1
They're just making the point that BCU doesn't do medicine. But you've already cleared up that you actually meant Birmingham, not Birmingham City.

Yeah, I was looking at both as mentioned above and realised my error before I was told to "spot the difference"... apologies for any inconvenience caused but it would help if the person who told me to spot the difference (you know who you are) would be a little more considerate of my mistakes, thank you.

Sam
Reply 10
Yeah, I was looking at both as mentioned above and realised my error before I was told to "spot the difference"... apologies for any inconvenience caused but it would help if the person who told me to spot the difference (you know who you are) would be a little more considerate of my mistakes, thank you.

Sam

What a brilliant sorry, but not sorry post.

You do understand it was you who began the condescending tone? Simply editing your posts to illustrate me as the devil doesn't play in your favour.
Original post by Zorg
What a brilliant sorry, but not sorry post.

You do understand it was you who began the condescending tone? Simply editing your posts to illustrate me as the devil doesn't play in your favour.

Hi,
In regards to the editing that was just after I posted the comments (which i regret) and I hastily edited away to try and correct my mistakes. Once I had corrected the aforementioned mistakes I noticed a new post, from yourself, which came up advising me to "double check" my facts. You are not the devil sir, I can only apologise. I had hoped I would do the editing before anyone noticed my errors but it is unfortunate that you posted before that.

I am sincerely sorry- I assure you and I accept full responsibility for looking like a bit of an arse.

Sam
Reply 12

Sam

You know the smarmy version of your post is still quoted in Zorg's, right? :rofl:

But yes, it was an understandable mistake (which I'd have thought you'd have noticed before getting the stage of replying with a bad attitude, but hey ho).

Edit: And for my part I apologise for posting in a way that looks like I'm twisting the knife after you've admitted you made yourself look like an arse in the post above mine - it seems I loaded this page a while ago and didn't realise it wasn't up to date.
(edited 9 years ago)
But yes, it was an understandable mistake (which I'd have thought you'd have noticed before getting the stage of replying with a bad attitude, but hey ho).

Edit: And for my part I apologise for posting in a way that looks like I'm twisting the knife after you've admitted you made yourself look like an arse in the post above mine - it seems I loaded this page a while ago and didn't realise it wasn't up to date.

Hi
No problem, I was feeling a bit irritable earlier due to another issue and my attitude was rather unnacceptable indeed.

So shall we agree a truce and get back to the topic?

Sam
It's good to see you planning early! I didn't decide fully till mid year 12 and thus had to take a gap year to get some experience in but now i've applied and so far have 3 interviews (Cambridge, Imperial and Bristol) and the 4th one (Barts and the London) hasn't got back to me yet.
I got 8A*s and 5As at GCSE and 5As at AS. I then went on and got A*A*A at A2.
I think though in your position, try to get especially some long term volunteering in. Due to your age, some areas of work experience are closed off to you like some surgery (Which is what I found the most interesting in WE, it's great now i'm working in theatres before uni!) so the volunteering may be better!
Good luck and I'm here to answer any questions if you need it!
Hi
No problem, I was feeling a bit irritable earlier due to another issue and my attitude was rather unnacceptable indeed.

So shall we agree a truce and get back to the topic?

Sam

You're new here eh?
Name of the game for some people, is to pick on slight misdemeanours from Newbies, to get them to back down and apologise.
Ignore them - They aren't even medics. Probably why they pick on those who have a better chance of being a med student.....
Reply 16
Original post by Parent_help
You're new here eh?
Name of the game for some people, is to pick on slight misdemeanours from Newbies, to get them to back down and apologise.
Ignore them - They aren't even medics. Probably why they pick on those who have a better chance of being a med student.....

I'm not a medic? ...
Reply 17
Original post by Parent_help
You're new here eh?

Stating that a university has a medical school when it doesn't is not a misdemeanour, it's misinformation.
Saying sorry in an insincere manner and alluding I was at fault in the same post is plain rude. You'll forgive me if I don't lay down and let you walk all over me.
Original post by Zorg
Stating that a university has a medical school when it doesn't is not a misdemeanour, it's misinformation.
Saying sorry in an insincere manner and alluding I was at fault in the same post is plain rude. You'll forgive me if I don't lay down and let you walk all over me.

If the Bully boot fits your foot, that's your problem not mine.
Original post by Ronove
I'm not a medic? ...

correct - you're not - but at least you got a med school placement this year (congrats).
How about helping the OP instead of picking fights and pedantic bullying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending