The Student Room Group

Dropping out of 2nd year, re-doing A-levels and then attempting to get into Oxbridge

Hi

I am very unhappy with my course at the moment. I am currently a 2nd year student, doing Psychology.

I am thinking about dropping out, going to a college, re-doing a-levels (I would want to apply for mathematics but my current subjects in A-levels would not allow for it) and then reapplying with the hopes of getting into Oxbridge.

is this ridiculous? Is it even possible? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply 1
You're currently at university? The problem is that you have 4 years of eligible student funding, and you're now in the second year of that. Since degrees take at least 3 years, you'd have to have money to complete another degree. Also I'm not sure if you dropping out now would count as your first degree done according to student finance, since you're already in your second year, meaning you wouldn't be able to get any more funding. You'd have to find out the answers to these before you consider dropping out.

Even then, you'd have to pay money to do A-levels and get in to Oxbridge, which is very difficult. I doubt they'd appreciate you dropping out once either since they only take the best of the best.

That said, if you don't mind perhaps going somewhere other than Oxbridge, like to a RG uni and money isn't an issue, then sure, drop out if you really hate the course.

Why do you hate it though? If it's for any reason other than the course itself then you shouldn't drop out.
Reply 2
Original post by solafid
Hi

I am very unhappy with my course at the moment. I am currently a 2nd year student, doing Psychology.

I am thinking about dropping out, going to a college, re-doing a-levels (I would want to apply for mathematics but my current subjects in A-levels would not allow for it) and then reapplying with the hopes of getting into Oxbridge.

is this ridiculous? Is it even possible? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don't drop out, finish the course.
I think the chance of Oxbridge accepting you would be very close to zero. basically there is roughly a 1-5 chance of anyone getting into Oxbridge a 1-6 chance of getting into Imperial or LSE and a 1 in 3 chance for Durham. Those are the chances for someone who hasn't dropped off out of uni. your chance of getting into these unis would be significantly reduced at having dropped out of uni. maths is extremely competitive. Oxford Cambridge Imperial and Warwick all have MINIMUM entry requirements of A*A*A and several require A*AA including Durham Bristol Exeter and Bath. Most of the top unis also require Maths and Further Maths and several require step as well. They have more applicants than places so even if you do drop out there is no guarantee you will be accepted. Have you thought of speaking to your current uni about a change of course possibly doing a maths foundation course for the rest of the year and then starting maths in September. can you switch onto a flexible combined honours course spending the next 2 years doing mainly maths. as already stated if you do wish to re start then you need to sort out the finance issue as well
Reply 4
Kaizzu is right, in that you would only get another two years of Student Finance for a new degree if you drop out of your current one now. The calculation is a bit more involved than a straight four year entitlement, but in your situation the effect would be the same.

You would have to fund the first year of a new degree yourself - including tuition fees - apart from a minimal Maintenance Loan. The full Student Finance package would only kick in for your second and third years.
I'm very much afraid that this just isn't going to happen, for all the excellent reasons posted above by several people. Better to try and fix the problem with your current degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending