The Student Room Group
Reply 1
State lords over... Kids may get egoistic with no siblings...
Reply 2
It has been relaxed now anyway. Depending on how many are in the parents family I believe.

The one child policy will cause all kinds of problems as time goes on. eg:The oldies who look after their grandchildren will die out and the parents will not know how to look after their grandchildren - since they have not looked after their own. This means that many parents will have no choice but to look after their own children - or hire someone who knows how to do that. Currently many parents both need to work and the grandparents bring up the child.

Maybe, with fewer one children families, the "little prince/priincess" will die out too and kids will be brought up to think of others and share as well. Who knows?
Reply 3
It's a bad policy. It means that your population ages rapidly placing a greater on the taxpayer or pressure on government not to provide certain public services (i.e. pensions - purely because they can't afford them). In the case of China, it's population should peak around 2030 but is predicted to shed 400 million people by 2100.

Stopping it also does not work as South Korea can testify. It becomes ingrained in culture enough that people carry on having few children. Indeed, the last decade saw the Chinese birth rate fall from 1.6 to 1.2 (probably because of more women going to work).
Reply 4
Nature will maw us down when time comes.
Short term: Easy to manage population.

Long term: Disproportionate balance of men and women since female babies aren't desirable and aborted. Future population decreases, more need for immigration, stifles their control of the domain.
Original post by ocpaul20
It has been relaxed now anyway. Depending on how many are in the parents family I believe.

The one child policy will cause all kinds of problems as time goes on. eg:The oldies who look after their grandchildren will die out and the parents will not know how to look after their grandchildren - since they have not looked after their own. This means that many parents will have no choice but to look after their own children - or hire someone who knows how to do that. Currently many parents both need to work and the grandparents bring up the child.

Maybe, with fewer one children families, the "little prince/priincess" will die out too and kids will be brought up to think of others and share as well. Who knows?

You're F kidding aren't you ? China is crawling with people - it desperately needs a OCP. It was the fault of the CCP as most things, they started the population boom in an effort to get more workers, soldiers for the state.
In the beginning there was an economic boom and a period of rapid "westernization" and development of infrastructure. However gradually due to an ageing population there will be more people too old to work and the younger population will work to support their parents. The government will have an increased expenditure on health services. China will also face the problem of not enough women to marry the men as mentioned by saayagain. This is because the Chinese families want boys to "continue" the family name and support them when they are older.
Reply 8
Now the policy is basically not the same( allows most people to have 2 children). But literally you can't say it was a bad policy because China was really overloaded with such a large population ~

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rmfiona
Now the policy is basically not the same( allows most people to have 2 children). But literally you can't say it was a bad policy because China was really overloaded with such a large population ~

Posted from TSR Mobile

but the whole xiao huangdi situation was not the one.

plus all the kids who haven't got the shenghuo jingyan because they've been spoonfed (literally) from such an early age. Having said that, the population wenti was pretty bad, and Mao's baby booming didn't help.
Reply 10
Original post by Guills on wheels
but the whole xiao huangdi situation was not the one.

plus all the kids who haven't got the shenghuo jingyan because they've been spoonfed (literally) from such an early age. Having said that, the population wenti was pretty bad, and Mao's baby booming didn't help.

I'm not sure I've got what you are saying....e.g what's Mao's baby?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by rmfiona
I'm not sure I've got what you are saying....e.g what's Mao's baby?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mao Zedong was a ruler of China. He encouraged a baby boom - believing that "more people mean more power". In 1970, the birth rate was at 3.3%, and the population had increased hugely under Mao's rule - from 540million to 852million when Mao died.

This meant that China's resources were under massive strain, and the one child policy was brought in to try and curb the population growth.
Original post by aoxa
Mao Zedong was a ruler of China. He encouraged a baby boom - believing that "more people mean more power". In 1970, the birth rate was at 3.3%, and the population had increased hugely under Mao's rule - from 540million to 852million when Mao died.

This meant that China's resources were under massive strain, and the one child policy was brought in to try and curb the population growth.

Technically he'e not wrong. With our current per capita levels, if you could get 400 million people in Britain then we'd be a superpower again (more workers equals bigger economy equals more tax revenue equals bigger potential military, not to mention diplomatic and trade weight). Of course if you can't feed your population to begin with then your just breeding starvation.
Original post by aoxa

Given the Cold War context of the time, and tensions with both the West and the Soviet Union, Mao was convinced that a large population would see China through nuclear war.

I’m not afraid of nuclear war. There are 2.7 billion people in the world; it doesn’t matter if some are killed. China has a population of 600 million; even if half of them are killed, there are still 300 million people left. I’m not afraid of anyone.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/4758-maos-nuclear-mass-extinction-speech-aired-on-chinese-tv/
Original post by Moosferatu
Given the Cold War context of the time, and tensions with both the West and the Soviet Union, Mao was convinced that a large population would see China through nuclear war.

I’m not afraid of nuclear war. There are 2.7 billion people in the world; it doesn’t matter if some are killed. China has a population of 600 million; even if half of them are killed, there are still 300 million people left. I’m not afraid of anyone.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/4758-maos-nuclear-mass-extinction-speech-aired-on-chinese-tv/

For a communist party they sure didn't give a **** about the individual prolly.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
For a communist party they sure didn't give a **** about the individual prolly.

Well he evidently went mad with power somewhere along the line, with the sheer brutality that he wrought on his people. He is still held with high status in the PRC though, which is strange to me, but I probably need to understand Chinese culture to get that.
Original post by Moosferatu
Well he evidently went mad with power somewhere along the line, with the sheer brutality that he wrought on his people. He is still held with high status in the PRC though, which is strange to me, but I probably need to understand Chinese culture to get that.

To be fair we have a whole host of Castro apologists here.
Although the one-child-policy has skewed the population demographics, there is another problem waiting to happen.

Many single kids are brought up by their grandparents who spend money and a lot of time on them. This is so the parents can make something of a career for themselves and possibly pay the mortgage too. This maybe what causes the 'little prince/princess' label.

However, now that families can have 2 kids, there may be a bit of a problem for grandparents to handle 2 kids, plus it costs twice as much too.

Also, granny knows about kids, but mum and dad dont know anything. Once the granny generation dies, who knows about kids then? Who is there to look after the kids? The parents wont, because they were only children, brought up by grandparents and they have good careers.

Can you see what I am getting at? As far as I can see, there will be a big, big boom in child day care who market themselves as knowing what to do, but don't. Typical 25 year-olds, working for a Chinese company, often do not get home until 10.30pm, so how will this play out in the lives of their kids?

China has a very steep learning curve ahead for itself.

As with all things, the pendulum fully swings to the right, then to the left as a reaction, eventually we all hope to learn from the extremes.

Latest