The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks it just i am not so sure now its between Nortumbria or Kent for my insurance uni my first choice would be QMUL. As it neigh on impossible for me to get into Kings! 16 people for each space crazy.
Reply 21
Kent is supposed to be the better Law school between the 2.
Reply 22
kirstinx
Kent is supposed to be the better Law school between the 2.

Yep it was just in the top 20 this year (times). Nortumbria is great but its quite far away. My personal tutor has had really good things to say about it aswell. We will see i may just flick a coin!
I just want to get my ucas out the way and focus on my A2's! I have done everythig just waiting for final reference. Fingers cross at end of this week ucas will hopefully be over. Then the waiting can begin......
Reply 23
BBB-CCC really are not that bad grades. If, for example, you scored BBB you should be very pleased. I think, however, you should go down a different degree path for your own benefit. Law has such high requirements and thus you will end up at quite a poor university despite reasonable grades. This will affect career prospects. I therefore propose you choose a different course, which will enable you to enter a better university, then switch to law later on.

I think this is good advice.
Reply 24
i would advise a different career to law.. i hate it , loved my degree but its hard work ever since, i am now doing a tc somewhere i hate just cos i couldnt get anything else.
Fireman John
Sorry Kirstin, I have to disagree vehemently with your assertion IF we are talking specifically about appointments WITHIN the legal field.

I think it goes pretty much without saying that people MAKING APPOINTMENTS WITHIN THE LEGAL FIELD have a good idea which Law departments have the better reputations (but even that much said - there are often other factors to be taken into consideration). There is a good deal more to a person than the university they attended (first and foremost I would suggest that the classification of their degree matters more).

If you're talking about applying for jobs outside of the legal field and in a more general area - then yes, I would agree - people will be swayed by the reputation of the university...

Let me just qualify that further... Lets look at someone who went to University at Loughborough... Does that make them good, bad or neither here nor there??? Personally speaking - in terms of reputation I'd say it's run of the mill... I don't hear people singing it's praises like I do Cambridge or Oxford - or even Sheffield or Durham... it rarely gets a mention...

My brother did his degree at Loughborough in the late 80's/early 90's... as I've said, not generally considered as a "world beater" - however, in terms of the particular course he did, within his industry - Loughborough are (or were) considered the absolute pinnacle of greatness... He has a wonderful job, a massive salary and he regularly receives approaches to work elsewhere - one country even suggested that they were willing to "buy his nationality"... So I really do think you're wrong.

I still consider Loughborough to be an amazing University for Sports Science, surely number one. Must say if it was not for my parents I might have gone myself to do that. Not that this is much help to you choosing a law school :frown:

The above poster has a point. I think that TC's are pretty intense and I know of many unhappy people doing them. Might be for you, might not.
Absolutely, the contention concerning a different degree has some merit but alot of firms say you need certain A-level grades to apply to them to attempt to negate that.

Latest

Trending

Trending