The Student Room Group

Nuffield Research Placements 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neuth
How far?
I'm an hour 10 minutes away from mine :redface:

They weren't taking on any placements this year - it's a shame.

in canterbury, so over 3 hours away from where i live
Hi

Does anyone know of places that that i could do my placement in kent!!
Lol because my supervisor said it has to be at canterbury university which is REALLY inside kent, whereas i only live on the outskirts of kent:frown:

So now i have to try and find a placement myself.

Does it have to be at a university?
Reply 683
Original post by cilla_e
in canterbury, so over 3 hours away from where i live

That's craaazy :erm:

Try and find your own placement, somewhere closer :yep:

Original post by cilla_e

Does it have to be at a university?

No :h:
That true, but she said that it has to be in kent.

Do you know where your placement is yet?
Original post by Neuth

They weren't taking on any placements this year - it's a shame.

Yea I just remembered why, it's because of their move to the Francis Crick Institute
Reply 686
What's everyone's projects? Anyone at the University of Manchester?
Original post by Denn1sT
Do you get paid for doing it?

Yeah, you have to be eligible for bursaries though. My friend is getting free travel and they're also going to pay him a sum every week... Im jealous.
Reply 688
Original post by Angelo12231
Yeah, you have to be eligible for bursaries though. My friend is getting free travel and they're also going to pay him a sum every week... Im jealous.

I get both of those, too.
You shouldn't be jealous - it means they're poorer than you and/or from a worse background :redface:
its also a no for medway as it is over 2 hours away and yup ill attend rochester as well so ill probably see you:smile:
Original post by Neuth
I get both of those, too.
You shouldn't be jealous - it means they're poorer than you and/or from a worse background :redface:

You guys get a lot of cash though, A LOT of cash xD
Reply 691
Original post by Angelo12231
You guys get a lot of cash though, A LOT of cash xD

It's not thaaat much... I don't know how much they've told you they're getting? :lol:
Without it, I'd probably be unable to carry out a Nuffield placement, so...
Anyone got a reply from Scotland region who were one of the last 128 applications?
My coordinator told me to email the professor to introduce myself and ask him a list of questions she gave me... I don't know what to say though xD Any tips?
Reply 694
Original post by Nisr123
My coordinator told me to email the professor to introduce myself and ask him a list of questions she gave me... I don't know what to say though xD Any tips?

Oh gosh - I'd have no idea what to say :redface:
What are the questions like?
Original post by Neuth
Oh gosh - I'd have no idea what to say :redface:
What are the questions like?

She told me to confirm the dates and ask if i need to come and meet him before the placement for any reason, and if there is any reading i should do prior to the placement and what is the address/where i need to go xD I have started writing it but its kind of awkward. Feels like I am just bombarding him with questions and I don't know how to make it flow while keeping it as short and concise as possible :')
Reply 696
Original post by Nisr123
She told me to confirm the dates and ask if i need to come and meet him before the placement for any reason, and if there is any reading i should do prior to the placement and what is the address/where i need to go xD I have started writing it but its kind of awkward. Feels like I am just bombarding him with questions and I don't know how to make it flow while keeping it as short and concise as possible :':wink:

Oh goodness :giggle:

Have you spoken to them before, or are you able to make it informal without being annoying?

If this is your first e-mail to him, I suppose it can be longer without looking odd, as he'll expect a lot of questions :yep:
Original post by Neuth
Oh goodness :giggle:

Have you spoken to them before, or are you able to make it informal without being annoying?

If this is your first e-mail to him, I suppose it can be longer without looking odd, as he'll expect a lot of questions :yep:

Haha nope, never spoken to him before. I think I will just try and send it sooner rather than later xD The email is never going to be perfect and I want him to reply asap :smile:
Reply 698
Original post by Nisr123
Haha nope, never spoken to him before. I think I will just try and send it sooner rather than later xD The email is never going to be perfect and I want him to reply asap :smile:

I'm sure you'll be able to draft an e-mail quickly that'll be more than acceptable :yep:
Remember - he knows you're a Year 12 student, so won't expect a masterpiece :h:
Original post by Neuth
I'm sure you'll be able to draft an e-mail quickly that'll be more than acceptable :yep:
Remember - he knows you're a Year 12 student, so won't expect a masterpiece :h:

Yeah xD I don't know how to ask if he would like me to come in before the placement without it sounding creepy. I don't even want to ask but my coordinator said so xD Can you help me? xD

Quick Reply

Latest