The Student Room Group

Nuffield Research Placements 2015

Hi everyone!
I couldn't find any current threads on the placements, so I decided to make a new one.

What did you guys write in your personal statements and what subjects are you applying for?

Also, did anybody do a placement in previous years in East Anglia? Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get more responses. :redface: Hopefully someone will be able to get back to you :h:
Original post by kawehi
Hi everyone!
I couldn't find any current threads on the placements, so I decided to make a new one.

What did you guys write in your personal statements and what subjects are you applying for?

Also, did anybody do a placement in previous years in East Anglia? Thanks!

Hi! I'm applying this year, I was just having a go at writing my Personal Statement, and I basically just talked about why I want to do it, and also a little about previous experience and stuff. What about you? I'm applying for biomed, by the way. You?
Reply 3
Original post by thelionsroar_
Hi! I'm applying this year, I was just having a go at writing my Personal Statement, and I basically just talked about why I want to do it, and also a little about previous experience and stuff. What about you? I'm applying for biomed, by the way. You?

I'm applying to biochem, but biomed is my second choice! Yeah, I'm in the process of writing mine right now, and I'm just talking about why I would be good for the placement and how I would benefit.. How much have you written?
Reply 4
How did you guys pick your subjects on mine it only has a few options like physics maths computing etc
Applying for biomed
Hopefully applying for forensic or biochem but put archaeology in as other.

And I am also stuck on personal statement, I've written a draft but it's awful.

What should I include if I haven't had any relevant work experience yet? Any ideas?
Original post by thelionsroar_

When do you actually apply? I know you do it during A-levels but my teacher never really made it clear when in A-levels. Do you do it in October or something of year 12?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:
I'm applying for physics/astronomy in the manchester area, if you've got any information on what to put into your personal statement that'd be great as that's the last thing on my application I need to complete!😄
Reply 9
Original post by WASG
How did you guys pick your subjects on mine it only has a few options like physics maths computing etc

Does yours not have any biology stuff on it? I have 12 options to chose from, but it could depend on your area I guess..
Mine show up at the bottom of the Step 2 - Educational Info page
Reply 10
Original post by Firenze26
When do you actually apply? I know you do it during A-levels but my teacher never really made it clear when in A-levels. Do you do it in October or something of year 12?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:

All year 12s should be applying right now! The first deadlines are coming up on 17th of January
Reply 11
Original post by bear_reynolds
Hopefully applying for forensic or biochem but put archaeology in as other.

And I am also stuck on personal statement, I've written a draft but it's awful.

What should I include if I haven't had any relevant work experience yet? Any ideas?

Do you read any science magazines, history books or articles on forensic science? If you do, then you could mention them to show your curiosity in the subjects! And same, I have basically nothing down for my personal statement and my deadline is on Monday!!!:eek:
Reply 12
Original post by kawehi
Does yours not have any biology stuff on it? I have 12 options to chose from, but it could depend on your area I guess..
Mine show up at the bottom of the Step 2 - Educational Info page

Nope. I live in the north west and there is no biochem. Is the subject choice based on your region?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by WASG
Nope. I live in the north west and there is no biochem. Is the subject choice based on your region?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess it must be! I know that there is the option to plan your own placement, so if you know of any research centres/universities that would consider hosting you, then that might work out.
You should probably get in touch with your coordinator to see if this would be feasible!
Original post by kawehi
All year 12s should be applying right now! The first deadlines are coming up on 17th of January

theres more than one?
I'm applying for Chemistry, been editing my personal statement with the assistance of my Chemistry teacher :smile:

Whose reached below the word quota? I've reached like 544 words right now after cutting but I've got a little more to add on though :rolleyes:
Reply 16
Original post by Angelo12231
theres more than one?

Yep, there are different deadlines for different regions!

The list is here
Original post by kawehi
Yep, there are different deadlines for different regions!

The list is here

Thanks a lot :biggrin:
Good luck guys!! ^_^
In your PS, definitely write why you think you should be on the scheme and what you hope to achieve out of the Nuffield Research Placement :biggrin:
I did mine last year and it was fantastic!
If you need help AMA :biggrin:
Do you get paid for doing it?

Quick Reply

Latest