The Student Room Group

Does anyone here have olympic weightlifting shoes?

my legs are very long and my torso is very short, so i cant squat deep without getting some serious butt wink

if i put a few plates under my heels the problem goes away, but for some reason i feel pressure on my outer knee when i reach the bottom

how good are weightlifting shoes in preventing butt wink?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Never associated it with shoes but if plates work for you then shoes will
Buttwink is much more a sign of a flexibility problem and this combined with struggling to hit depth pretty much confirms this.

Read this from the new FAQ that we're building atm and give that a try for a couple of weeks before buying shoes as they are a fairly expensive investment :smile:
Original post by Angry cucumber
Buttwink is much more a sign of a flexibility problem and this combined with struggling to hit depth pretty much confirms this.

Read this from the new FAQ that we're building atm and give that a try for a couple of weeks before buying shoes as they are a fairly expensive investment :smile:

it isnt a flexibility issue for me, im very flexible
I watched a video that Johnnie Candito shared made by some guy who is very knowledgable on biomechanics, he said hip structure is the main cause of buttwink, as very few people have hamstrings tight enough to actually cause their lumbar to have to round to squat deep

in my case i have to have something to raise my heels, or else my hip joint runs out of ROM and my back has to round in order for me to go deeper
(edited 9 years ago)
Weightlifting shoes allow the knees to come further forward, and hence greatly help with eliminating "butt wink" (haven't heard that term in years).
Original post by Smack
Weightlifting shoes allow the knees to come further forward, and hence greatly help with eliminating "butt wink" (haven't heard that term in years).

do you know why they are so expensive?
adipowers are going for £150
Original post by Justin Heranus
do you know why they are so expensive?
adipowers are going for £150

Probably because that's the price people are willing to pay for them.

By the way, you can get shoes for under a hundred pounds.
(edited 9 years ago)
Read all previous posts. If you still want a pair:

Do win do many pairs below £100. Adidas powerlift 2s go for £70-80, adidas power perfect 2s (if you can find any, they're discontinued) will set you back £80-100. Several members of the forum have these (myself included).
Inov8 do their fast lift 335s for just over £100.
You could also take a look at the Reebok crossfit lifters, but I don't know much about them, I think they're less sturdy for squatting as they're designed for wods.

I see no point in going for adipowers or Nike romaleos unless you're doing Olympic weightlifting. For squatting only, the others will be sufficient.

Its worth taking a look on eBay. You can occasionally find an absolute bargain - especially if you have huge feet (size 12+).
weighlifting shoes you can search on amazon but they domination by adidas and the price is 60-150
Reply 9
Strength Shop's are £60, no idea how they'd do for weightlifting but entirely fine for squats
Just buy the cheapest ones. What features would they really have that make them better?? It's just a shoe with a bit of wood in it. They're never going to wear out because you only wear them for like 6 hours a week maximum.
Original post by SmashConcept
Just buy the cheapest ones. What features would they really have that make them better?? It's just a shoe with a bit of wood in it. They're never going to wear out because you only wear them for like 6 hours a week maximum.

Even people who put in more hours than that have pairs that last for years and years. (I've heard of pairs lasting 10-15 years and more)
Mine are 7 years old I think, there is more wear on them from storing them in my gym back than wearing them.
I have used my Adidas power perfect IIs for 12-18 hours a week for over 3 years and they are still good as new apart from being a bit dirty and the laces are a bit frayed. Don't plan on getting rid of them for a looooong time. Cost me £90 brand new. But if you only want shoes for squatting get the cheapest ones you can find, or for an ever cheaper solution try putting some heel-raisers in some converse or other flat shoes.
Original post by Piggsil
I have used my Adidas power perfect IIs for 12-18 hours a week for over 3 years and they are still good as new apart from being a bit dirty and the laces are a bit frayed. Don't plan on getting rid of them for a looooong time. Cost me £90 brand new. But if you only want shoes for squatting get the cheapest ones you can find, or for an ever cheaper solution try putting some heel-raisers in some converse or other flat shoes.

they look really nice

i tried squatting on a 25KG plate, almost fell forward haha
i think about an inch is enough heel reaise for me
These are the PP2s I have:

They look like golf or bowling shoes.

The ones above are really nice. I want some blue shoes because out club colour is blue.
Original post by Piggsil
These are the PP2s I have:

They look like golf or bowling shoes.

The ones above are really nice. I want some blue shoes because out club colour is blue.

The ones above are powerlift 2s, not blue PP 2s. PL 2s have a 0.5" heel, whereas the PP 2s have a 0.75" heel!

I hope by 'look like bowling shoes' you actually mean 'make me look really cool'. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
The ones above are powerlift 2s, not blue PP 2s. PL 2s have a 0.5" heel, whereas the PP 2s have a 0.75" heel!

I hope by 'look like bowling shoes' you actually mean 'make me look really cool'. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok, I'm not that much of a shoe geek :p:

Well any item of weightlifting clothing makes you look really cool. +1 coolness point for every item. So I am at my coolest when I am in full competition mode with singlet, wrist wraps, knee warmers and shoes :cool:
Original post by Piggsil
Ah ok, I'm not that much of a shoe geek :p:

Well any item of weightlifting clothing makes you look really cool. +1 coolness point for every item. So I am at my coolest when I am in full competition mode with singlet, wrist wraps, knee warmers and shoes :cool:

They're IRL item buffs.

+5 ankle flexibility
+5 squat depth
+10 knee endurance
+10 grip strength
+15 charisma

:cool:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
They're IRL item buffs.

+5 ankle flexibility
+5 squat depth
+10 knee endurance