The Student Room Group

An idea for TSR

I've been sitting on this idea for a while now, I just need people's suggestions on whether it would be plausible and, if so, how to improve on the idea (if it needs improving) to make it work effectively.

My idea is to have a massive annual debate on TSR between only two people (perhaps near the end of the year?), selected via most popular outcome of choice on a thread in order to make a shortlist of potential debaters, and then a final poll to decide which two debaters out of this shortlist will be debating the topic. The topic of the debate can be chosen in the same way.

I'd suggest making a specific forum for this (like you do with the TSR Christmas grotto and the TSR awards), sticky the actual debating thread on that forum and, if this is actually possible for the admins/site developers to do, make it so that only those two debaters that are chosen by TSR to do the debating can actually post on the thread specifically made for the big debate, so as to stop trolls from posting all over it and ruining it (obviously people can still view the thread, of course).

At the end of the debate (just to add, I don't have any ideas yet on what the structure of this debate should be like and how it will pan out, so I'll leave that up to everyone to make suggestions within this thread at the moment), there should be a poll made so that everyone on TSR can decide which of the two debaters was most convincing in their arguments (you can make it so that only users with at least 150 posts can vote on it, like you do with the TSR awards) but I realise that in making a poll for it, you won't be able to stop people from not voting free from bias toward a certain debater, or because they're friends with that particular debater.

I actually really like this idea, but it's still a work in progress, so I would welcome any arguments as to why it may not work and suggestions on how it can be improved. I, personally, think it would be a very popular feature on TSR. I think it would be a massive draw, and I actually think it would be a more popular concept than having the TSR awards at the end of every year (I'm not saying get rid of the TSR awards though, because they're still a fun feature of the site!).

Captain Jack
x

Just thought I'd quote you in on this, Jack, for your opinions on this idea. I'll leave it up to you if you'd like to quote other CT members in for their opinions too, as I can't remember all of their usernames!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lustawny
I've been sitting on this idea for a while now, I just need people's suggestions on whether it would be plausible and, if so, how to improve on the idea (if it needs improving) to make it work effectively.

My idea is to have a massive annual debate on TSR between only two people (perhaps near the end of the year?), selected via most popular outcome of choice on a thread in order to make a shortlist of potential debaters, and then a final poll to decide which two debaters out of this shortlist will be debating the topic. The topic of the debate can be chosen in the same way.

I'd suggest making a specific forum for this (like you do with the TSR Christmas grotto and the TSR awards), sticky the actual debating thread on that forum and, if this is actually possible for the admins/site developers to do, make it so that only those two debaters that are chosen by TSR to do the debating can actually post on the thread specifically made for the big debate, so as to stop trolls from posting all over it and ruining it (obviously people can still view the thread, of course).

At the end of the debate (just to add, I don't have any ideas yet on what the structure of this debate should be like and how it will pan out, so I'll leave that up to everyone to make suggestions within this thread at the moment), there should be a poll made so that everyone on TSR can decide which of the two debaters was most convincing in their arguments (you can make it so that only users with at least 150 posts can vote on it, like you do with the TSR awards) but I realise that in making a poll for it, you won't be able to stop people from not voting free from bias toward a certain debater, or because they're friends with that particular debater.

I actually really like this idea, but it's still a work in progress, so I would welcome any arguments as to why it may not work and suggestions on how it can be improved. I, personally, think it would be a very popular feature on TSR. I think it would be a massive draw, and I actually think it would be a more popular concept than having the TSR awards at the end of every year (I'm not saying get rid of the TSR awards though, because they're still a fun feature of the site!).

Just thought I'd quote you in on this, Jack, for your opinions on this idea. I'll leave it up to you if you'd like to quote other CT members in for their opinions too, as I can't remember all of their usernames!

Ooh, I really like this idea too. We can have some battle ads across the site promoting the debate ahead of time. Perhaps we could have a debate thread, and a discussion thread for everyone to talk about the debate as it happens? Whether they agree or disagree. That could be fun.

TSR FIGHT NIGHT: lustawny vs Captain Jack: debating the merits of the human race

I suggested something similar in aam a while back but thought it might be better as teams instead of individuals?

I think it's definitely something worth trying and has the potential to both cheer up d&ca and bring new people in...

Original post by PQ

I know encouraging "good"/productive/polite discussion has been a challenge from the start of the forums. One thing that got toyed with a while back was to have an annual debating contest that is a bit more formal...maybe with teams of people and with set topics for debate and each team being given a position to argue with a public vote to decide who presented the case best. I don't know if that might be something a keen section leader might want to take further :ninjagirl: but it would be interesting - especially if you could rig the teams so that people who normally fight are on the same sides and that people have to argue against their usual position :biggrin: It might encourage a slightly less hostile regular debate userbase to change the tone of the area a bit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Captain Jack
Ooh, I really like this idea too. We can have some battle ads across the site promoting the debate ahead of time. Perhaps we could have a debate thread, and a discussion thread for everyone to talk about the debate as it happens? Whether they agree or disagree. That could be fun.

TSR FIGHT NIGHT: lustawny vs Captain Jack: debating the merits of the human race

Glad you like it! Yeah, it would be really good to have a discussion thread too! And yeah, you should advertise it as much as possible throughout the year, if you do decide to go ahead with the idea, and aim to make it the biggest and most popular feature of TSR!

Regarding what I said in my opening post about making it so that only the two TSR users chosen by TSR to do the debating can post on the thread (obviously moderators and admins could still post on it too, because the debate would have to be moderated so that it runs smoothly), would this actually be possible for you to do? I've never seen it done before on TSR, but it would be good if you were able to do this (as, like I said above, everyone would have the freedom to post all over it and it could ruin the actual debate itself).

If you're not able to do this, then I guess the actual forum itself that you create for this annual debating event would have to be moderated a lot more strictly (the debating thread itself would have to be, in particular, whereby everyone would have the freedom to post on the debating thread for this event, but the moderators would just have to delete all the posts the non-debaters make on there, and quote them into the discussion thread).
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
I suggested something similar in aam a while back but thought it might be better as teams instead of individuals?

I think it's definitely something worth trying and has the potential to both cheer up d&ca and bring new people in...

How about one singles debate, and one team debate? Just like in tennis!
Glad you like it! Yeah, it would be really good to have a discussion thread too! And yeah, you should advertise it as much as possible throughout the year, if you do decide to go ahead with the idea, and aim to make it the biggest and most popular feature of TSR!

Regarding what I said in my opening post about making it so that only the two TSR users chosen by TSR to do the debating can post on the thread (obviously moderators and admins could still post on it too, because the debate would have to be moderated so that it runs smoothly), would this actually be possible for you to do? I've never seen it done before on TSR, but it would be good if you were able to do this (as, like I said above, everyone would have the freedom to post all over it and it could ruin the actual debate itself).

If you're not able to do this, then I guess the actual forum itself that you create for this annual debating event would have to be moderated a lot more strictly (the debating thread itself would have to be, in particular, whereby everyone would have the freedom to post on the debating thread for this event, but the moderators would just have to delete all the posts the non-debaters make on there, and quote them into the discussion thread).

We might have to do it by forum but yes it would be possible :smile:

I like PQ's idea of making it groups as well, that might add to it?
Hey D&CA gang,

Thought you might find this interesting, it sounds pretty cool and I know miser and Jarred have had similar ideas as well.

Jack

Spoiler

How about one singles debate, and one team debate? Just like in tennis!

Singles, teams and doubles....

I know I was thinking along the lines of formal debating socs - each person/team gets to make 2 speeches addressing the question for debate taking turns so they can address the arguments from the other side (but don't have to). With debaters given topics and time to prepare but actual debate has to happen within a prescribed time limit (and on tsr presumably a word/character count?).

From an audience pov that makes the discussion easy to digest and would avoid lots of multiquoting/convoluted discussions over semantics/definitions boring the crap out everyone

</braindump>
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Singles, teams and doubles....

I know I was thinking along the lines of formal debating socs - each person/team gets to make 2 speeches addressing the question for debate taking turns so they can address the arguments from the other side (but don't have to). With debaters given topics and time to prepare but actual debate has to happen within a prescribed time limit (and on tsr presumably a word/character count?).

From an audience pov that makes the discussion easy to digest and would avoid lots of multiquoting/convoluted discussions over semantics/definitions boring the crap out everyone

</braindump>

I like the idea of a time limit, that's what they do in a lot of real life debates. Would the admins be able to implement this though?

Captain Jack
x
I like this idea :h:. A year between events is rather long though and people might lose motivation/ interest if it is advertised too soon in the year. Do the debaters get to show off their skills beforehand, like in the entry thread? I say this to try to open it up more to involve people who maybe don't have reputation as good debaters or haven't got involved yet. Or is there just a poll on who users already consider good debaters? Because I already have a couple names popping into mind but it'd be nice to see more people havin' a go.
Reply 10
Original post by TheTipsyTarsier
I like this idea :h:. A year between events is rather long though and people might lose motivation/ interest if it is advertised too soon in the year. Do the debaters get to show off their skills beforehand, like in the entry thread? I say this to try to open it up more to involve people who maybe don't have reputation as good debaters or haven't got involved yet. Or is there just a poll on who users already consider good debaters? Because I already have a couple names popping into mind but it'd be nice to see more people havin' a go.

That's a good point, I'd like to see fresh new debaters who don't have an awful lot of publicity around the site able to get a chance at proving their worth. I think perhaps a few 'taster' debates throughout the year that are open to everyone (using the specific forum that the admins would create for this idea), would be an excellent idea.

It would probably help to publicise the big debating event at the end of the year more effectively.
Reply 11
As for choosing which debater/team of debaters will be arguing either for or against the motion, I'd suggest choosing the topic beforehand (maybe using the method I mentioned in my OP) and then the admins can perhaps flip a coin to decide?

Edit: Although I realise that some debates don't need a for and against platform, so if that's the case, just ignore what I said!
(edited 9 years ago)
I like the idea - there was discussion of a debate competition a few months back, and certainly it'd be something to revitalise D&CA a bit.
I really like this idea. Perhaps we can have run-up rounds where people interested in being chosen can enter debates, and the winner of a debate progresses to the next round. That way, there's less of a chance of favouritism and it will raise activity levels throughout.
Reply 14
lustawny
x

I like your idea. I had a similar one and this is something I'd like to put into action. I'll let people write their thoughts about the idea here then afterwards I can discuss it with the D&CA team and come up with a plan of implementation.
Reply 15
Original post by Kittiara
I really like this idea. Perhaps we can have run-up rounds where people interested in being chosen can enter debates, and the winner of a debate progresses to the next round. That way, there's less of a chance of favouritism and it will raise activity levels throughout.

I do like this idea. I think it would be good if people could get chosen for the final debate purely on their debating merit and not favouritism, but wouldn't it be a lot more complicated to organise though?

I think the topics of both the singles and team debate at the end of the year should still be chosen by people's favouritism though (in other words, what people would really like to see debated and what they feel would be most popular). It means if there's a consensus on what should be debated, then a lot of people are going to be interested in watching it.
I do like this idea. I think it would be good if people could get chosen for the final debate purely on their debating merit and not favouritism, but wouldn't it be a lot more complicated to organise though?

I think the topics of both the singles and team debate at the end of the year should still be chosen by people's favouritism though (in other words, what people would really like to see debated and what they feel would be most popular). It means if there's a consensus on what should be debated, then a lot of people are going to be interested in watching it.

There's no reason why debaters couldn't be anon when people vote ... Would avoid popularity

We could have a sign-up period to see how many people are interested and committed to taking part. I doubt that there will be masses of people signing up, but we could have some requirements (minimum number of posts made, minimum amount of time on the site) to eliminate potential trolls. Several debates could be held at the same time in the first round(s), and perhaps a few respected people would be interested in judging these debates. So, it's a bit more complicated, but also very interesting and good for activity.

I agree with you that the topics for the big debates should be chosen by the people, as that will definitely raise interest levels.
Original post by PQ
There's no reason why debaters couldn't be anon when people vote ... Would avoid popularity

That's a good idea :smile:.
Reply 19
Original post by PQ

What do you mean by that? Are you referring to Kittiara's idea of having knockout stages leading up to it, or something else?

Quick Reply