The Student Room Group

Dismissive family?

Hey,

My problem is that my family (my mother and sister) are really dismissive of everything I say (unless I'm agreeing with them), and I just wonder if this is unusual and what to do about it.

I'm a philosophy student, so unsurprisingly it makes me very uncomfortable when my family members are speaking nonsense, and fairly frequently this turns into debate.

Of course I have no problem at all with my family members disagreeing with me - if they think I've said something wrong, I want them to correct me. It's just that they never stop to actually think about what I've said, they just dismiss it off-hand whenever I say anything they disagree with, and shut me down by looking at me like I'm an idiot, or being rude.

For instance, earlier today I suggested that my sister should think carefully about taking a computing course, because they often seem to be either very simplistic or very complex, and she wants something in between, and doesn't have a good track record of remaining committed to things. But when I tried to raise this point, she said I was just talking nonsense?

Similarly, a while ago I questioned my brother about his reasons for vegetarianism (I was suggesting that utilitarianism wasn't as strong a basis as it seems at first, but it turns out thats not his reason anyway), and we were discussing that, my mother finished the conversation by just attacking everything I said by giving me a nasty look and implying that I was being stupid.

I just don't really know how to deal with. I don't think I'm especially stupid - I know grades aren't necessarily an indicator of intelligence, but I got near enough 100% in all of my AS levels, which surely counts for something - so presumably it isn't just that everything I say is nonsense?

I'm not really an angry person or anything, I just find it upsetting. I always thought that members of my family were fairly intelligent, but I just feel that nothing can be challenged, or you're attacked as an idiot with no common sense (because, obviously, how intelligent you are in school hasno bearing at all on your practical intelligence - whatever that is).

Does anybody else have this experience? Am I just an ********? It just worries me - I feel like my family is the kind that would just sit there and say nothing while a holocaust passed by or whatever, and I can't change it because nobody will take anything I say seriously.
I am argumentative for argument's sake and refuse to bear witness to stupidity.

Genuinely had Holocaust discussion today but shan't go into it.

I like to assume my family are intelligent and maybe even educated but sometimes they really do shock me.

I don't watch many quiz shows because they're so dull but take "Pointless". For some reason my family watch it, they don't get my outrage when a relatively high number (or what I deem high) fail to answer - or seem to at the very least hazard an educated guess - a not even moderately difficult question. I'm not certain how the 100 random people are selected but say the score is in the thirties. They'll think it is a good answer. They don't get my point that it still means a high number of people could not answer or got it wrong.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

My problem is that my family (my mother and sister) are really dismissive of everything I say (unless I'm agreeing with them), and I just wonder if this is unusual and what to do about it.

I'm a philosophy student, so unsurprisingly it makes me very uncomfortable when my family members are speaking nonsense, and fairly frequently this turns into debate.

Of course I have no problem at all with my family members disagreeing with me - if they think I've said something wrong, I want them to correct me. It's just that they never stop to actually think about what I've said, they just dismiss it off-hand whenever I say anything they disagree with, and shut me down by looking at me like I'm an idiot, or being rude.

For instance, earlier today I suggested that my sister should think carefully about taking a computing course, because they often seem to be either very simplistic or very complex, and she wants something in between, and doesn't have a good track record of remaining committed to things. But when I tried to raise this point, she said I was just talking nonsense?

Similarly, a while ago I questioned my brother about his reasons for vegetarianism (I was suggesting that utilitarianism wasn't as strong a basis as it seems at first, but it turns out thats not his reason anyway), and we were discussing that, my mother finished the conversation by just attacking everything I said by giving me a nasty look and implying that I was being stupid.

I just don't really know how to deal with. I don't think I'm especially stupid - I know grades aren't necessarily an indicator of intelligence, but I got near enough 100% in all of my AS levels, which surely counts for something - so presumably it isn't just that everything I say is nonsense?

I'm not really an angry person or anything, I just find it upsetting. I always thought that members of my family were fairly intelligent, but I just feel that nothing can be challenged, or you're attacked as an idiot with no common sense (because, obviously, how intelligent you are in school hasno bearing at all on your practical intelligence - whatever that is).

Does anybody else have this experience? Am I just an ********? It just worries me - I feel like my family is the kind that would just sit there and say nothing while a holocaust passed by or whatever, and I can't change it because nobody will take anything I say seriously.

I'd say not to get involved if thats how its going to be honest.

It seems a bit weird, if you are with your brother one on one, you can say whatever.
If anyone else is around, just ignore the question or trying to help...........as you stated they just challenge you, it leads to debates, personal attacks and it hurts your mental well being.

My personal viewpoint is ignore them, and carry on being yourself and doing what you want to do.....such an environment can be damaging to your confidence, well being, etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending