The Student Room Group

Pharmacy student want to medicine but will GCSE's hold me back?

Hi guys,

I went to a not so good school and ended up getting very mediocre GCSE results. I got BB in double science, B in maths, B in art and a merit grade in business studies. I had a very bad grade in English which I resat later in college and got an A. I had some family issues going with my parents divorcing and that was naturally affecting me negatively.

I did 3 A levels (chemistry,maths,physics) at college first where I did quite badly after achieving B,C, D. During my A-level I had a very serious problem going after my ex made a false accusation against me and I had to go to court. This whole issue was over after a whole year of going to court. I already went through the details of this issue here in this forum. Cutting the story short, she made a serious false accusation against me and it was proven in the end and I was found not guilty.

After what happened to me in college and what I went though during my high school, I still did not lose hope and carried on with my studies. I spend one year doing a level-2 IT course at college and then when that was over I spent one year doing an access course. It was called access to dentistry, pharmacy and medical science.

I did fantastic in my access course achieving distinctions in all the exams.
I applied to do pharmacy and was accepted. I absolutely love pharmacy, and love the clinical side to it. After I graduate I hope to work in hospital pharmacy to gain experience.

However no matter how much I try to hide it, I long to be a doctor.
I realised during my pharmacy course that no matter how much I love pharmacy and the knowledge I gained from it, that the role of a doctor is what suits me best. I decided to carry on doing Pharmacy to the end and gain the clinical knowledge, I believe after having that experience I will make a very good doctor. This is what I want, and it's to be a competent doctor. I want to be able to help people with a great knowledge which I gained, I want to travel the world being a doctor where they are in desperate need of doctors and help them.
I know now that I don't simply think I would like being a doctor but rather it’s something I am certain of. I have seen many doctors close by and what they do and the closer I get the more I realise how much at home I feel.

I am predicted to gain a first class masters in my pharmacy in the end. Please don't get me wrong. I mean it when I say I love pharmacy and will never have done medicine without pharmacy because the knowledge I have gained is invaluable and I certainly and happily would work as a clinical pharmacist if I could not get into medicine. I am both a doctor and a pharmacist at heart but pharmacy does not provide me with the full knowledge and ability I need to be the healthcare professional I dream to be.

So my question is this, how unlikely is it I will ever manage to get into medicine with those GCSE results. My access course grades are perfect and my first class in pharmacy and the experience I plan on gaining will certainly help. But It would be so sad if these past GCSE results which are by no means a measure of my academic capability, stop me doing medicine.

I am sorry if I have written too much. I just want to know what you guys think.
(edited 9 years ago)
For GEM route quite a few uni's don't have any pre-requisites prior to the degree.

Though reg the GCSE's: What about iGCSE exams? I'm tempted to re-do mine (after my MSc, and maybe throw in some A levels if possible) to strengthen a medicine application. I need to research this though, and a few medical schools wont take them (as they are re-sit etc.).

GCSE's shouldn't be too hard either (whereas A levels would take a fair bit of consideration due to much more time and effort needed, as well as money).
Reply 2
My apologies for the editing. I added some extra bits.
Reply 3
Original post by hellodave5
For GEM route quite a few uni's don't have any pre-requisites prior to the degree.

Though reg the GCSE's: What about iGCSE exams? I'm tempted to re-do mine (after my MSc, and maybe throw in some A levels if possible) to strengthen a medicine application. I need to research this though, and a few medical schools wont take them (as they are re-sit etc.).

GCSE's shouldn't be too hard either (whereas A levels would take a fair bit of consideration due to much more time and effort needed, as well as money).

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

I have been told the same, that indeed not all universities give too much attention to GCSE results. However, due to the extreme competition in medicine it is highly unlikely they will not end up using GCSE as a way to filter out candidates. I would have loved to go to Liverpool university but that's highly unlikely. I don't think they even accept access.

I think the major difficulty and one I think about the most is actually getting an interview. If I would to get the interview I am confident I can show my passion for medicine.

I have not heard of iGCSEs before. what are they exactly? Can you take them at any age and what subjects can you do? Only Mathematics, English and sciences?
Even if we were to resit our GCSE's, how will the universities react to that? I prefer not to retake anything unless absolutely necessary.

By the way if you don't mind me asking, what are you studying a masters in?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Farbod B
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

I have been told the same, that indeed not all universities give too much attention to GCSE results. However, due to the extreme competition in medicine it is highly unlikely they will not end up using GCSE as a way to filter out candidates. I would have loved to go to Liverpool university but that's highly unlikely. I don't think they even accept access.

I think the major difficulty and one I think about the most is actually getting an interview. If I would to get the interview I am confident I can show my passion for medicine.

I have not heard of iGCSEs before. what are they exactly? Can you take them at any age and what subjects can you do? Only Mathematics, English and sciences?
Even if we were to resit our GCSE's, how will the universities react to that? I prefer not to retake anything unless absolutely necessary.

By the way if you don't mind me asking, what are you studying a masters in?

Hey mate :smile:

Firstly about consideration of GCSE's - I imagine it is a possibility. They state that it is just a tick box exercise - but I suppose it is very possible they will weigh up everyone on an individual basis academically as well as in experience etc. So any other courses you have done may end up carrying some weight. But its not in many of their reqs, aye.

Some uni's seem to be more strict on entry requirements than others, and strangely doesn't seem to be associated with their ranking.

Yeah - getting to the interview is a large part of the battle really. All you have to do is show that you are 100% sure its what you want to do, and that you're not fooling yourself I imagine (simplified I know - the interviews are really quite difficult with some of the questions and techniques).

I think I GCSE's are a newer alternative to GCSE's which are taken solely with an exam. I am very tentative and unsure at the moment in honesty, so may get back to you on that. Someone may come along that knows, too.

Maybe the retakes may show that you are really devoted to the field - and that you are academically able. Just that some places don't allow retakes - though may be different for graduates with a degree, or in GEM.

My masters is in clinical cognitive neuroscience, and my degree was in psychology :smile:

[all my info was v tentative - but there you go]
Hey,
I might not be in exactly the same situation as you but still... I got good GCSE results (mostly A with 2 A*), but my A-levels were comparatively poor (Maths B, Chem C, French C - C in AS Bio) yet somehow I got on to Pharmacy even though my uni wanted BBB. I finished up with a 2:2, having failed a few exams, having to resit with a capped 40% mark in some pretty important modules.

All that though and I'm currently undergoing interviews for medicine next year. So it can be done!
I may not have a great degree classification but I feel that being a health care professional with actual patient experience and responsibilities (with a good GAMSAT score) has totally made up for previous lacking in academic achievement... With A levels of BCC I would never in a million years have thought there'd be a realistic possibility of me doing medicine but now it seems maybe there is. Of course I haven't actually got on to a course yet, but I've got three interviews which I'm absolutely chuffed with! Just getting the interviews means I've beaten 80+% of applicants which is crazy!
I don't think too much emphasis is placed on GCSE results... and you've got a 'pass' in the main three, Eng, Science and Maths. And as has already been mentioned, most of the GEM courses I've looked at don't look any further back than your undergraduate degree.
I'm the same as you, I love pharmacy. I love being a pharmacist, and I'd be perfectly happy continuing in that profession but I've always wondered about going that bit further and being a doctor.
If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help.
Sorry for the essay!
Reply 6
To echo Giles, I left school with average GCSEs; 2 A*, an A, 3 Bs and 3 Cs. English was a C. A levels were ok, AAB in maths, bio and chem respectively.
Left uni with a mediocre 2ii in Biology and toddled along a research path. Now sitting on two interviews, and hopefully a third, for medicine.
For what it's worth, I provided all details about previous academic achievements/grades and this is the result. Not too bad I'd say.

As mentioned, you need to nail the entrance exams. Alongside experience, they make or break your application.
Reply 7
Can someone help me I haven't got very good GCSEs at all
Currently doing my AS levels
I am doing chemistry, biology, mathematics and psychology.
I want to do debtistry
It's something I've wanted to do forever
I tried putting myself off but it just won't happen
Will I have a chance of getting into university if Birmingham ?
Thanks in advance
Reply 8
Original post by kira1
Can someone help me I haven't got very good GCSEs at all
Currently doing my AS levels
I am doing chemistry, biology, mathematics and psychology.
I want to do debtistry
It's something I've wanted to do forever
I tried putting myself off but it just won't happen
Will I have a chance of getting into university if Birmingham ?
Thanks in advance

Hello kira1,

Unfortunately, even A's and B's wouldn't cut it for Birmingham. I've heard many stories about people getting immediate interviews if they had 8A*s or more at GCSE.

EDIT: Here is information from the Univervisty of Birmingham website:

GCSE requirements: Candidates must have GCSE Chemistry & Biology at grade A* (or Double Science award at grade A*A*) plus Mathematics and English Language at grade A.

Please note, at both A Level and GCSE, resits are not considered.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by PharmaGiles
Hey,
I might not be in exactly the same situation as you but still... I got good GCSE results (mostly A with 2 A*), but my A-levels were comparatively poor (Maths B, Chem C, French C - C in AS Bio) yet somehow I got on to Pharmacy even though my uni wanted BBB. I finished up with a 2:2, having failed a few exams, having to resit with a capped 40% mark in some pretty important modules.

All that though and I'm currently undergoing interviews for medicine next year. So it can be done!
I may not have a great degree classification but I feel that being a health care professional with actual patient experience and responsibilities (with a good GAMSAT score) has totally made up for previous lacking in academic achievement... With A levels of BCC I would never in a million years have thought there'd be a realistic possibility of me doing medicine but now it seems maybe there is. Of course I haven't actually got on to a course yet, but I've got three interviews which I'm absolutely chuffed with! Just getting the interviews means I've beaten 80+% of applicants which is crazy!
I don't think too much emphasis is placed on GCSE results... and you've got a 'pass' in the main three, Eng, Science and Maths. And as has already been mentioned, most of the GEM courses I've looked at don't look any further back than your undergraduate degree.
I'm the same as you, I love pharmacy. I love being a pharmacist, and I'd be perfectly happy continuing in that profession but I've always wondered about going that bit further and being a doctor.
If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help.
Sorry for the essay!

Hi PharmaGiles,

I am really happy for you! This is very good. Which universities did you apply to?

I suppose you've proved that indeed there is a-lot more to application to medicine that just GCSE/A-level. Ultimately I will have to wait and see what happens to my application when I do eventually apply in the future.
As I thought, having the relevant clinical experience can make a world of difference to one's medicine application outcome.

Anyway, I really wish you all the best in your interviews and hope you get the offers.

Farbod
Original post by Farbod B
Hi PharmaGiles,

I am really happy for you! This is very good. Which universities did you apply to?

Hey sorry I didn't reply sooner!
I've applied for the only universities that accept 2:2s which as far as I could tell were Nottingham, Exeter, Plymouth and St George's.
From what I gather it seems these unis all care more about an applicant's experience (I suppose they have to if they're going to be more inclusive in their academic requirements). I'd like to think that this puts healthcare professionals at a slight advantage!

All I can say is get the GAMSAT nailed and really do go for a first (or a 2:1) in MPharm to open up a few more options when you eventually apply. Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending