The Student Room Group

Muslims girls: advice please

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

I've been curious about her for nearly ayear

Even if she knew you existed she's already got her mind off... :hand:
Proposing to her will scare her but I feel your pain.

Why don't you just go and ask her, "Can you make rotis?" :rofl:

Even if you do get the courage then keep us informed! :ahee:

Original post by Anonynous

When my parents bring up the topic of marriage, I try and nudge it away and say I'll never get married because it's an awkward topic for me.

I wish my parents would get me married early lol.

Original post by UCAS problems :(
This is just pure lust. You have never spoken to her yet you have intentions of marrying her?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do know this is a muslim marriage (which lasts till you die) and not a Western marriage?

Original post by kira1
you are in my duas

Remember me in your duas aswell!
Original post by Enoxial

You do know this is a muslim marriage (which lasts till you die) and not a Western marriage?

Yes, but doesn't it seem as if the op only wants to marry her because of her appearance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, but doesn't it seem as if the op only wants to marry her because of her appearance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The OP does not give that meaning tbf.

While OP mentions that she wears hijab / abaya and is quite conservative but that still doesn't mean he is marrying her because of how pious she is. (This is assumed)
Reply 43
I am a Muslim guy in Uni and I am interested in getting to know a girl I've seen around Uni for potential marriage reasons. She seems quite conservative. She wears Hijab and Abaya and she doesn't really speak to guys when it comes to her social life. I haven't had an opportunity to see her that many times as we are studying different courses. I've seen her in the library and in some society events and she is always with her friend.

Anyway I don't know what to say to her if I see her at an appropriate location and time. I mean I don't want to give the impression that I want a pre-marital relationship with her, nor do I want to give the impression that I want a friendship with her. I seem to be so pessimistic when thinking about this. I keep thinking about the barriers that may occur when making marital advancements. For example 'she will definitely say no', 'her parents might disagree as we are of different ethnicity(This is a common thing within Muslim marriages)', and 'the previous two thoughts don't matter as I don't have the courage to interact with her'.

I've been curious about her for nearly ayear and I've been trying to get my mind off this and just trying to focus on my studies as I am going through a stressful time with my studies at the moment. My parents don't want me to think of marriage at the moment as I am doing a really demanding degree and want me to get that out the way first. I just don't want to find that she has married someone else without even having the opportunity to get to know her. She is also in the middle of a really demanding degree so I'm not sure if she wants to consider marriage right now.

So advice by Muslim girls would be appreciated. What should I say to her next time I see her?

Ethnicity shouldn't matter. If you think that she is compatible with you and is on the same wave length as you then why should it stop you? I'm in the exact same position as you believe me its hard I know. I'm in the same position as you except im a girl. I say you pray istikhara and go with your gut feeling. If you think she's the one then id say you go through mutual friends if you have any or maybe join a society she's in!
Sorry for the late response. I didn't expect so many replies. Some seem really interesting so I'll reply to as many as I can.
Original post by Med_Geek
Do you have any mutual friends with the girl she goes to events with? Sometimes it's best to approach a friend first just to see what the predicament is regarding her preferences with these kinds of things.

I don't have any mutual friends. University is so not everyone knows everyone. I do know one person who knows her through work related matters. I would be too embarrassed to approach a friend anyway.
Oooo. As a fellow Year 11 Muslim Myself. This is very intriguing to me! :O
It's really awks! xD
Just go and say hi? The Girls in my school talk to boys everyday. Infact muslim girls are so westernized these days that they do have BF/GF although it is prohibited.

I am aware that all of this is happening and a lot of Muslims are having boyfriends and girlfriends. Just because it is happening doesn't mean that I'll follow that. I want to pursue these matters Islamically.
Reply 47
I am aware that all of this is happening and a lot of Muslims are having boyfriends and girlfriends. Just because it is happening doesn't mean that I'll follow that. I want to pursue these matters Islamically.

My internal feeling tell me that regret is the worst emotion ever. Just strike up an innocent conversation, what's the worst that happens? You get rejected and you're put out of your misery. Or you find out she the one.
Original post by Enoxial

She knows I exist, but yes that's probably true.
She might not know what a roti is. She's not Indian btw.

My parents don't want me to marry now too, and I don't think they'll start something to get me married anyway. I have to start it. My family doesn't do arranged marriages anymore.
Hi & salam
I'm a Muslim female and think you should write her a letter and give it to her. Just a suggestion and entirely up to you what you do.
Write down exactly what your intentions are and be open and honest. State in your letter you would like the opportunity to speak to her properly with a view to marriage offering your telephone number and email address for her to respond to. Ask her to respond even if she is declining allowing you to know her response rather than pondering. Explain how you did not wish to impose on her verbally and were unsure of how to start communicating. Also when handing her the letter say salam and ask her to read the letter. Smile and be confident (without appearing arrogant lol tough call).
Might I add that you should not be disheartened if the response is negative.
I'd also advocate Istikhara asking Allah SWT for His Help.
Hope it works out for you, all the best
Wasalam
I am a Muslim guy in Uni and I am interested in getting to know a girl I've seen around Uni for potential marriage reasons. She seems quite conservative. She wears Hijab and Abaya and she doesn't really speak to guys when it comes to her social life. I haven't had an opportunity to see her that many times as we are studying different courses. I've seen her in the library and in some society events and she is always with her friend.

Anyway I don't know what to say to her if I see her at an appropriate location and time. I mean I don't want to give the impression that I want a pre-marital relationship with her, nor do I want to give the impression that I want a friendship with her. I seem to be so pessimistic when thinking about this. I keep thinking about the barriers that may occur when making marital advancements. For example 'she will definitely say no', 'her parents might disagree as we are of different ethnicity(This is a common thing within Muslim marriages)', and 'the previous two thoughts don't matter as I don't have the courage to interact with her'.

I've been curious about her for nearly ayear and I've been trying to get my mind off this and just trying to focus on my studies as I am going through a stressful time with my studies at the moment. My parents don't want me to think of marriage at the moment as I am doing a really demanding degree and want me to get that out the way first. I just don't want to find that she has married someone else without even having the opportunity to get to know her. She is also in the middle of a really demanding degree so I'm not sure if she wants to consider marriage right now.

So advice by Muslim girls would be appreciated. What should I say to her next time I see her?

Say to her, Can you give me your wali's number :rolleyes:

I don't like her :unimpressed: (jk)

My parents don't want me to marry now too, and I don't think they'll start something to get me married anyway. I have to start it. My family doesn't do arranged marriages anymore.

Your parents are a big factor, if they don't think you're mature enough (and most don't, especially the moms) then you're going to have to force it.
Original post by sid321
Ethnicity shouldn't matter. If you think that she is compatible with you and is on the same wave length as you then why should it stop you? I'm in the exact same position as you believe me its hard I know. I'm in the same position as you except im a girl. I say you pray istikhara and go with your gut feeling. If you think she's the one then id say you go through mutual friends if you have any or maybe join a society she's in!

Ethnicity doesn't matter in my family. I'm just concerned that it might matter in hers if anything happens. You say you're in the exact same situation as me. What situation are you in? I'm interested to know. You can PM me instead if you don't want to post it, or if you'd rather not, then you don't have to do that too.

Thanks for the advice, I will pray istikhara and Tahajjud in sha Allah.
Original post by N0rthernLass
Hi & salam
I'm a Muslim female and think you should write her a letter and give it to her. Just a suggestion and entirely up to you what you do.
Write down exactly what your intentions are and be open and honest. State in your letter you would like the opportunity to speak to her properly with a view to marriage offering your telephone number and email address for her to respond to. Ask her to respond even if she is declining allowing you to know her response rather than pondering. Explain how you did not wish to impose on her verbally and were unsure of how to start communicating. Also when handing her the letter say salam and ask her to read the letter. Smile and be confident (without appearing arrogant lol tough call).
Might I add that you should not be disheartened if the response is negative.
I'd also advocate Istikhara asking Allah SWT for His Help.
Hope it works out for you, all the best
Wasalam

Don't women prefer the guy being bold and saying it one to one rather than writing a letter / text message / facebooking? :confused:
Original post by Enoxial
Don't women prefer the guy being bold and saying it one to one rather than writing a letter / text message / facebooking? :confused:

Got to keep it halal though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Ethnicity doesn't matter in my family. I'm just concerned that it might matter in hers if anything happens. You say you're in the exact same situation as me. What situation are you in? I'm interested to know. You can PM me instead if you don't want to post it, or if you'd rather not, then you don't have to do that too.

Thanks for the advice, I will pray istikhara and Tahajjud in sha Allah.

Can you pm me because tsr wont let me pm an anonymous person

What race is she? And are you indian?
Original post by Enoxial

Some may do, some may not, we're all individual therefore i'm unable to generalise.
Personally if i liked the guy I wouldn't mind any approach; would prefer the letter if I didn't!
Got to keep it halal though

Posted from TSR Mobile

One to one doesn't have to be in a room with them being the only ones there with the lights off, it can be in the library, on the road etc.
Original post by tammie123
How do you know she's religious by the way? Just because she wears an abaya and hijab it doesn't mean she is, I wear both but I'm in the middle.

I guess I don't know yet. I really hope she is. If I get to talk to her and get to know her then I hope she is what I'm looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending