The Student Room Group

Muslims girls: advice please

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RosyPearl
I'm a Muslim girl, if a guy was interested in me then I would prefer it if he didnt talk about marriage in the first conversation..just be yourself and talk in a friendly way and her reaction would indicate if she seemed interested in you or not. Just be confident and go for it.

Original post by zahraiqbal786
I think you should firstly speak to your parents and let them know that you're feelings it'll be best of speaking to your mum as you know boys are usually close with their mums anyways, i think you should let your mum know and then see if your mum could speak to her family in some way so there's no such haram communication going on ygm?:smile:

These are two completely different responses(both from Muslim girls). It seems as it depends on the individual on what they prefer is the best approach. I can't read this girl's mind which is why I don't know what she would prefer.

As for the second response, I can't speak to my parents about this. I do tell my mother nearly everything, but I'll get really embarassed when mentioning this. And it's because my parents don't want me to think about this right now until I've finished my studies too.
Original post by Anonymous
These are two completely different responses(both from Muslim girls). It seems as it depends on the individual on what they prefer is the best approach. I can't read this girl's mind which is why I don't know what she would prefer.

As for the second response, I can't speak to my parents about this. I do tell my mother nearly everything, but I'll get really embarassed when mentioning this. And it's because my parents don't want me to think about this right now until I've finished my studies too.

Hmm...Wait till you've finished your studies and have a normal conversation with her like ask her what does she study etc
Reply 102
I bet it's kings
The worst that can happen is her saying no. But you'll regret doing nothing

The second response could work out though because thats how I got to know my ex..he saw me at some Islamic event and didn't know who I was so he asked about me and my family and got my house number off mutual people, then he told his mother and she contacted my mum about her son wanting to get to know me. When the next event came I met his mother and siblings but I had no idea that there was a reason behind it lol and another time the guy was helping out at the event and my mum made me volunteer so that we could unintentionally bump into each other and see him, I just didn't know that she was trying to bring us closer together or anything until one day she told me that someone wants to get to know me and by then i kind of guessed..so I went with her to a coffee shop and met him and we all had a nice chat. But we ended breaking up because he was rushing to get married which intimidated me as I wanted to spend more time getting to know him and having feelings develop. Anyway my point is it could work out but since you are in the same uni as that girl and you see her a lot then I think it would be better to build up the courage and go speak to her, good luck!
I am a Muslim guy in Uni and I am interested in getting to know a girl I've seen around Uni for potential marriage reasons. She seems quite conservative. She wears Hijab and Abaya and she doesn't really speak to guys when it comes to her social life. I haven't had an opportunity to see her that many times as we are studying different courses. I've seen her in the library and in some society events and she is always with her friend.

Anyway I don't know what to say to her if I see her at an appropriate location and time. I mean I don't want to give the impression that I want a pre-marital relationship with her, nor do I want to give the impression that I want a friendship with her. I seem to be so pessimistic when thinking about this. I keep thinking about the barriers that may occur when making marital advancements. For example 'she will definitely say no', 'her parents might disagree as we are of different ethnicity(This is a common thing within Muslim marriages)', and 'the previous two thoughts don't matter as I don't have the courage to interact with her'.

I've been curious about her for nearly ayear and I've been trying to get my mind off this and just trying to focus on my studies as I am going through a stressful time with my studies at the moment. My parents don't want me to think of marriage at the moment as I am doing a really demanding degree and want me to get that out the way first. I just don't want to find that she has married someone else without even having the opportunity to get to know her. She is also in the middle of a really demanding degree so I'm not sure if she wants to consider marriage right now.

So advice by Muslim girls would be appreciated. What should I say to her next time I see her?

Salaam brother,

I hope you're well.
Can I just first say that your shyness to talk to her is admirable. I'm glad you're keeping it halal.

I would like to tell you a story about a friend who I went to uni with. She's a decent practicing girl and never even considered marriage. She thought she would always want to marry way into the future, like when she's 30 years old or something.
However a very practicing brother one day emailed her and told her that he was interested in marrying her.
At first she was hesistant to reply, but soon she did and she got to know him through their families. They too are both different races but it's their religion that unites them. MashaAllah now they have been married for over a year and are so happy with each other. May Allah continue to add blessings in their marriage and may Allah also bless you with a pious wife.
From your sister in islam
Original post by zahraiqbal786
Hmm...Wait till you've finished your studies and have a normal conversation with her like ask her what does she study etc

That would be impossible. Once we finish out degrees, we probably won't see eachother again. Most people move to different area depending on where they get work. It's also possible that she might be getting married to someone else if I don't act fast. (Her parents might arrange her with someone or something like that)
I know what she studies btw so I won't ask that. I'll ask different questions if a conversation starts. And you just said make sure there is no Haram communication and for me to tell my parents.
That would be impossible. Once we finish out degrees, we probably won't see eachother again. Most people move to different area depending on where they get work. It's also possible that she might be getting married to someone else if I don't act fast. (Her parents might arrange her with someone or something like that)
I know what she studies btw so I won't ask that. I'll ask different questions if a conversation starts. And you just said make sure there is no Haram communication and for me to tell my parents.

Hello,
There is a lot of opposing views being said. From an islamic perspective, if you want to marry a girl, you can speak to her. You first need to speak to the girl and see if she is interested in you as a potential spouse. You need to see what her reaction is, then you could go to the wali, and go from there. But to speak straight to the wali, whilst the girl is completely unaware of who you are, wont work out.
Just talk to her respectfully in a public space, so she feels comfortable, you dont know if she talks to guys so just try. Dont talk about marriage the first time, that would be quite intimidating, I would also not give my parents number to a guy i dont know, so i doubt she would. She needs to know what kind of guy you are, maybe go to her talk to her with one of your female friend or if you have a sister then that would make her more at ease?
Original post by PhilosopherQueen
The worst that can happen is her saying no. But you'll regret doing nothing

I keep being negative about it and keep thinking she's going to definitely say no. I'm having thoughts such as 'she's too good for me so there's no point on me trying.'

But I will regret doing nothing. Lifelong regret.
Sounds like you know what to do, don't think about it any further, just do it. It could be the start of something good.
Don't marry someone who is ridiculously good looking :no:

That could make you feel down, uncomfortable and insecure of your own looks

Posted from TSR Mobile
The second response could work out though because thats how I got to know my ex..he saw me at some Islamic event and didn't know who I was so he asked about me and my family and got my house number off mutual people, then he told his mother and she contacted my mum about her son wanting to get to know me. When the next event came I met his mother and siblings but I had no idea that there was a reason behind it lol and another time the guy was helping out at the event and my mum made me volunteer so that we could unintentionally bump into each other and see him, I just didn't know that she was trying to bring us closer together or anything until one day she told me that someone wants to get to know me and by then i kind of guessed..so I went with her to a coffee shop and met him and we all had a nice chat. But we ended breaking up because he was rushing to get married which intimidated me as I wanted to spend more time getting to know him and having feelings develop. Anyway my point is it could work out but since you are in the same uni as that girl and you see her a lot then I think it would be better to build up the courage and go speak to her, good luck!

Thanks for the response, it was quite interesting to read.
He's not really your ex(I'm assuming you mean ex-boyfriend) if you weren't in a relationship. But I understand what you're saying.
I also first saw her at an Islamic event.
I have a lot of respect for this guy. He told his parents and asked mutual friends. Two things which I'm too shy to do. I also have a lot of respect that his parents organised something for you to get to know eachother with their company. The problem is that my parents live in a different city to hers and are very busy so it's harder for them to do that.
I am in the same uni but I don't see her a lot, but I guess that is a possibility if I see her again(If I develop the courage)
You will have to play there "Where's Wali?!?" game! :O
Salaam brother,

I hope you're well.
Can I just first say that your shyness to talk to her is admirable. I'm glad you're keeping it halal.

I would like to tell you a story about a friend who I went to uni with. She's a decent practicing girl and never even considered marriage. She thought she would always want to marry way into the future, like when she's 30 years old or something.
However a very practicing brother one day emailed her and told her that he was interested in marrying her.
At first she was hesistant to reply, but soon she did and she got to know him through their families. They too are both different races but it's their religion that unites them. MashaAllah now they have been married for over a year and are so happy with each other. May Allah continue to add blessings in their marriage and may Allah also bless you with a pious wife.
From your sister in islam

wa alaikum assalam

Thanks(I'm a shy person in general)
That seems like the ideal way to get married. That's great that they are happy with each other. Did they get married in the middle of University or after?

And thanks for the response, you too.
Just go up n talk to her. get to know her a bit better.
Thanks for the response, it was quite interesting to read.
He's not really your ex(I'm assuming you mean ex-boyfriend) if you weren't in a relationship. But I understand what you're saying.
I also first saw her at an Islamic event.
I have a lot of respect for this guy. He told his parents and asked mutual friends. Two things which I'm too shy to do. I also have a lot of respect that his parents organised something for you to get to know eachother with their company. The problem is that my parents live in a different city to hers and are very busy so it's harder for them to do that.
I am in the same uni but I don't see her a lot, but I guess that is a possibility if I see her again(If I develop the courage)

He was my ex because we were in a relationship for almost 2 months, with the permission of my parents..and we got engaged so that it can be a period for us getting to know one another in a halal way. It wasn't his parents that organised it..his parents live in another country but they flew here just to meet me at the event! They also visited my house but i assumed that they were just my mums friends..anyway it was my mum who kept meeting the guy and making plans on how me and him can get closer discreetly without me noticing anything which actually worked because when I met him I wasn't shocked or anything because He looked familiar. In your case i think you should make yourself more visible to her so that she knows that you exist and make an effort to talk to her...you never know what this May lead to I mean if my ex hadn't made those advances then we would have never been together! Be optimistic and confident in yourself and inshallah Allah will make it happen
He was my ex because we were in a relationship for almost 2 months, with the permission of my parents..and we got engaged so that it can be a period for us getting to know one another in a halal way. It wasn't his parents that organised it..his parents live in another country but they flew here just to meet me at the event! They also visited my house but i assumed that they were just my mums friends..anyway it was my mum who kept meeting the guy and making plans on how me and him can get closer discreetly without me noticing anything which actually worked because when I met him I wasn't shocked or anything because He looked familiar. In your case i think you should make yourself more visible to her so that she knows that you exist and make an effort to talk to her...you never know what this May lead to I mean if my ex hadn't made those advances then we would have never been together! Be optimistic and confident in yourself and inshallah Allah will make it happen

So he is your ex-fiance. Wow, you could probably tell he was serious about this because his parents came from a different country. My parents live in the same country but in a different city so that won't be too much of a problem for me.
I think she will recognise me. I will still try to make myself more visible though. And yes I'll talk to my friend that knows her and I'll try to get to talk to her. I know that I'll regret it if I don't make these advances.
Thank you
I like turtles
Asslamualaikum,

Maybe you could try contacting the head brother at your Uni ISOC and he could coordinate with the Head Sister and she could mention it to the girl, and then go from there. I know people do that at my Uni so it's one option. I get that your shy so it's a somewhat easier approach than going directly to her.

I also know a few people that got married in the middle of uni, alhamduliilah they're doing well. I would also like to say i think you should tell your parents. Again, i know you're shy, but it's a serious issue. You have the intention of marrying this girl, and your parents have to know about it. Is the issue that they may say no? I don't think it would be fair to approach the girl without knowing that your parents would say yes; i mean i get that it's ur decision, but what they feel will impact the relationship you and your potential wife will have with them for the rest of your lives. So go to them first, in my opinion; it would just be better if they knew what you were doing. Yes, it's an awkward topic, but alhamdullilah, you can get through it in sha Allah.

Another thing to consider would be to pray istikhara salaah, seeking Allah's guidance about a decision.

Hope it all goes well, in sha Allah!

Walaikumassalam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending