The Student Room Group

Medicine enquiry

Hi i am curently studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Human Biology AS,
i got 4A*'s 4A's 2B's 1C(german) and ( D short course P.E)

medicine is an option which i want to study at uni, but im not sure for definetly and i want to know whether it is 10000% essential to do volunteering in a hospital or another hospital related place.

please leave your opinions. thanks

Scroll to see replies

erm, no not 100% essential. however, if you don't have ANY hospital based experience or GP or similar experience then you need to accompany this with LOADS of general voluntary work. is there a good reason why youo can't get any hospital or GP experience. other general bits of advice, start early and keep a diary not only of what you did exactly but of what parts you particularly liked, what you learned. reflect as you go along and write it down!!! it's amazing how much you've forgotton when it comes to interview time. everyone told me to do this and i didn't bother.....it was good advice, i wish i'd followed it!!!
Reply 2
They want you to have hospital experience so you know what you've let yourself in for. If you know how "real" gritty medicine works then theory is you'll be less likely to drop out. Also it shows you can do the work. You'd be surprised how many people cant deal with "differences"

Good luck

Wangers
Reply 3
Do some volunnterry at a hosp, if you like it then go for it. If you are still unsure just out down 2 or 3 choicies for med.

(dammit, I cant type today!)
Reply 4
I'd say that although hospital/gp work experience is useful to find about medicine as a career and check it's for you, voluntary work eg in a nursing home is more useful and you will actually get to do hands on work as opposed to just shadowing
:smile:
Reply 5
why do people always wanna volunteer - instead of getting paid employment at a hospital?

Id imagine actaully being employed would show you are more competent, responsible etc etc...

p.s. thyres always loadsa jobs going on the nhs website, like health care assistant, nursing assistant, etc....
Reply 6
yes but how many 17 yr olds are capable/ qualified to fill those roles??

also because we are minors the health and safety aspect would be a minefield.
why dont you get a paid placement and tell us??

Also volentry shows you are keen and eager to learn about the subject - if you're gonna get paid - doing it for the money you might as well get a supermarket placement.

And if you are entering Medicine for the money - forget it. its not what Medicine is about.
Reply 7
p.s. thyres always loadsa jobs going on the nhs website, like health care assistant, nursing assistant, etc...

More like make Senior Tea Maker or Trainee Waiting Room Watcher
Reply 8
why do people always wanna volunteer - instead of getting paid employment at a hospital?

Id imagine actaully being employed would show you are more competent, responsible etc etc...

p.s. thyres always loadsa jobs going on the nhs website, like health care assistant, nursing assistant, etc....

I looked on the NHS website, but I couldn't find one job that I was qualified for as they all asked for either nursing qualifications, or for you to have worked in another hospital position for a year or something. Also, I'll hopefully be going to uni in under a years time, so there is less point them training me than someone who is going to carry on doing that job, or get promoted etc...
Anyway, I think volunteering is much more fun (and you learn lots more) as you get the oppurtunity to see all aspects of the hospital and work in a wide range of clinics as well
Reply 9
well i looked on the nhs website and ive applied for 12 jobs that i am qualified to do, and ive no hospital experience.

Im not having a go at peeps who volunteer, im just saying there are other alternatives. And I believe being employed shows a more mature competent and responsible individual. Remember volunteers are not very accountable, they can leave anytime.
Reply 10
er - what exactly are you qualified to do??

Wangers
Reply 11
markgg
well i looked on the nhs website and ive applied for 12 jobs that i am qualified to do, and ive no hospital experience.

Im not having a go at peeps who volunteer, im just saying there are other alternatives. And I believe being employed shows a more mature competent and responsible individual. Remember volunteers are not very accountable, they can leave anytime.

However you could also say that being a volunteer shows more of a genuine care for people because you are there helping these people when you don't have to be and you aren't being paid to do so. If you are being employed then it could be suggested (in most cases falsely) that you are just there for the money.
Remember employed people could just be in it for the money.
Reply 13

And if you are entering Medicine for the money - forget it. its not what Medicine is about.

Absolutely right there. Good point.

Although admittedly, the pay is a positive point!!
Opps sorry ignore this. Wrong thread.
Reply 15
mlc409
Absolutely right there. Good point.

Although admittedly, the pay is a positive point!!

Not really - considering the amount of responsibility - you can make more then that in the city with not nearly as many worries. What with the current retentive attitudes and the ever complicating legal scene.....Take into account that statisticlly half of undergrads will go on to be GPs - and GPs spend a disproportionate amount of time doin paperwork.....
And if you do have the persevearence for further training - respect - its a long hard road.
Thats why work experience is important - so you know what sort of work it is.

Admittedly GPs and hospital docs hours are being cut down - as are junior docs - by EU working directives etc - but considering the amout that is still asked of them - if you think the pay is good....

Comparitively the pay isnt brilliant - you dont be a Medic for the pay.

Wangers
I'd rather work as a doctor than in any minimum wage job, regardless of the pay. And yet doctors get paid far, far, far more. As you said, you could probably get more money in The City, but come on. It's not like doctors are underpaid in the slightest. Considering the fact that you should take pride in your job as a doctor regardless, the wages (far higher than the national average) are pretty damn good.
Reply 17
NSiky
I'd rather work as a doctor than in any minimum wage job, regardless of the pay. And yet doctors get paid far, far, far more. As you said, you could probably get more money in The City, but come on. It's not like doctors are underpaid in the slightest. Considering the fact that you should take pride in your job as a doctor regardless, the wages (far higher than the national average) are pretty damn good.

Im not saying they're necessarily underpaid per se - they are underpaid proportionatly to the responsibility they hold. In the City you are paid and held accountable if you lose the company money -

As a doctor you are paid and held accountable for people's health

I think you will agree with me that heath is more important than money

hence dont become a Medic for the money. - you will soon find yourself not motivated enough to make it through the house officer years

and can I just point out the difference between serving burgers at Mcdonalds and serving people as a doctor?

Wangers
NSiky
Remember employed people could just be in it for the money.
volunteers could just be in it for something to put on their PS.
ThePenguinMafia
volunteers could just be in it for something to put on their PS.

Yeah, thats true. Also, to be fair, some people undertake voluntary work just for the PS then discover they love doing it and subsequently sign up for more :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending