The Student Room Group

Feeding foxes... Would you find this weird?

Hey :smile:

So basically, I moved up to Scotland a few months back to study at university. Back at home, I was lucky to see 1 or 2 foxes a month. Since I've been in Glasgow, I cannot believe how many I have seen! They're pretty fearless too, in the sense that they get pretty close. I'm a bit of a night owl, so I go to the library until close at 2 am. So, when I walk home, there's usually no one around. Recently, I brought some dog food and started to randomly carry it in my rucksack on the off chance I would see a fox and then feed it (yeah, pretty random). Tonight I made a rookie mistake of not packing a spoon, or some kind of utensil, to get the food out. So, I was walking home, and this little fox approached me, he had the sweetest little face :biggrin: so, the only thing I had was a bookmark (good job I never liked the bookmark hey) and I scooped out half of the tin and he was happily eating away. However, loads of people were approaching and he got kinda scared and ran up the hill. I even waited around in the rain for them to pass, so I could then go back but he must have gone for cover due to the rain.

No one actually saw me feeding him, but I'm always nervous with people around. Would you care if you saw a random crazy girl scooping out dog food with a floral patterned bookmark?

I obviously realise that I cannot feed every fox in Glasgow, but if I can fill one little belly for the night, I'm happy :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I don't even...

"Foxes are small but they have sharp teeth. They are secretive and they tend to avoid people. If a fox acts boldly and approaches you, then there is a good chance it is rabid. Only rabid foxes may be dangerous, since their bite can transmit a disease that is fatal if not treated immediately. If it acts normally, then you will probably only get a glimpse of it before it runs away."
Why would you want to feed a fox? They are horrible creatures.

Rest assured that for every one that you feed, I will kill 5 more. Pests should be controlled, not fed.
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
I don't even...

"Foxes are small but they have sharp teeth. They are secretive and they tend to avoid people. If a fox acts boldly and approaches you, then there is a good chance it is rabid. Only rabid foxes may be dangerous, since their bite can transmit a disease that is fatal if not treated immediately. If it acts normally, then you will probably only get a glimpse of it before it runs away."

Well he ran off due to people walking past. I don't mean he was close enough to pet it, as I was putting out the food he was backing off as if he was timid, he only went to eat the food once I walked off a little.
Original post by DiddyDec
Why would you want to feed a fox? They are horrible creatures.

Rest assured that for every one that you feed, I will kill 5 more. Pests should be controlled, not fed.

*sad face*
Original post by charmander12
*sad face*

The unfortunate facts of life.
The unfortunate facts of life.

I don't understand why people hate them so much. I thought only farmers hated them for killing their chickens. You rarely hear of fox attacks on humans, that's because they're so secretive and keep to themselves. They're not really aggressive animals, I've noticed their shy and timid behaviors.
I don't think it's weird :smile:. No weirder than feeding birds, or squirrels, or stray cats, all of which I do/have done before.

I'd recommend only doing it on a rare occasion, though. Which it probably would be, anyway, as you're unlikely to see them every day. The reason is, they shouldn't become too trusting of humans, as there are nasty people out there.
It's irresponsible to voluntarily feed what is arguably vermin in a crowded settlement like Glasgow, but if you have to feed them perhaps make hemlock or cyanide your signature dish.
Original post by charmander12
I don't understand why people hate them so much. I thought only farmers hated them for killing their chickens. You rarely hear of fox attacks on humans, that's because they're so secretive and keep to themselves. They're not really aggressive animals, I've noticed their shy and timid behaviors.

What a quaint notion. I don't like them because they make my life more difficult. They kill and maim lambs, which is bad for animal welfare and bad for profit.
Original post by Birkenhead
It's irresponsible to voluntarily feed what is arguably vermin in a crowded settlement like Glasgow, but if you have to feed them perhaps make hemlock or cyanide your signature dish.

How could anyone want to harm an animal like this?

[video="youtube;NSEd6O0bBFs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSEd6O0bBFs[/video]
Personally I would find it a little weird but then what does it matter what anyone else thinks?. If you want to feed foxes dog food in the middle of the night then go for it.
I live on the edge of a seaside town in Scotland and I am surprised how many foxes I see around here. One was outside my block of flats at 5am the other night and I saw it drinking puddle water. I know its a wild animal and used to drinking that but it made my heart drop. I came down and left it some cut up bits of bacon and cold meat and it wolved it down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
It is kinda weird but meh who cares. I find it funny more than anything. Do your thing.
What a quaint notion. I don't like them because they make my life more difficult. They kill and maim lambs, which is bad for animal welfare and bad for profit.

Obviously I was making a broad generalization, I know they kill other animals.
Original post by Kittiara
I don't think it's weird :smile:. No weirder than feeding birds, or squirrels, or stray cats, all of which I do/have done before.

I'd recommend only doing it on a rare occasion, though. Which it probably would be, anyway, as you're unlikely to see them every day. The reason is, they shouldn't become too trusting of humans, as there are nasty people out there.

Oh yeah, I mean I'm a self funded student I can't afford to fork out on tins of dog food every week :biggrin: yeah, I know they shouldn't as it runs the risk of making them too tame, and then bad things can happen. I just feel sorry for them, especially being in an urban area and bitterly cold. I mean, I know they can survive but it isn't easy.
Original post by Kittiara
How could anyone want to harm an animal like this?

[video="youtube;NSEd6O0bBFs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSEd6O0bBFs[/video]

Wow, wherever that place is, it looks beautiful. So cute with the cat, eagle and fox :biggrin:
I wouldn't mind, I like them too. I got pretty close to one the other day before a car drove past and scared it away :colonhash: Would have given it food if I'd had any on me
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
I don't even...

OP yes that's weird.

Original post by Birkenhead

You monster.

Quick Reply

Latest