The Student Room Group

Maths vs Dentistry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by james22
Those things don't affect reputation much though. Loads of people find maths impossible so doing maths is so alien to them.

Could apply that to any subject?
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Could apply that to any subject?

No, although ti does apply to a few others. For example everyone can comprehend stufying history, or biology. They sort of know what those subjects are about. Ones similar to maths in this sense would be computer science and theoretical physics I think.

Of course this is only the publics perseption, and says nothing of the difficulty or value of the coruses themselves.
Sounds like you want to do dentistry from your OP. Your assertion on engineering being a "dead market" is completely false, and your view that degree maths can be done on calculators or using Wolfram Alpha is laughable.
Original post by james22
No, although ti does apply to a few others. For example everyone can comprehend stufying history, or biology. They sort of know what those subjects are about. Ones similar to maths in this sense would be computer science and theoretical physics I think.

Of course this is only the publics perseption, and says nothing of the difficulty or value of the coruses themselves.

Yeah i get you. I'm shocking at Maths so can't really talk tbh. Guess it comes down to what you enjoy more though.

From what i've seen though Dentistry seems to be most respected (rightly or wrongly).
Don't do a job for "respect" or "status", you don't go into the medical field for those wrong reasons. Dentistry requires alot of effort and you need to have a genuine passion for it, to keep working hard for 5 years.
Original post by AandFapplicant
Don't do a job for "respect" or "status", you don't go into the medical field for those wrong reasons. Dentistry requires alot of effort and you need to have a genuine passion for it, to keep working hard for 5 years.

The thread is not about what me or anyone else wants to do in higher education. It is related as to which degree is the more reputable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah and it isn't about reputation, who does a degree for status???? those are wrong reasons
I'm in my 3rd year doing dentistry at kings and trust me, it's not worth it if you don't enjoy it. I love all the practicals and the biology theory, which makes the tons of hardwork and endless exams worth it. The course is soo stressfull and the job is hard, trust me if i was doing the degree for "status" i'd quit straight away, its not worth doing for such lame reasons
Yeah and it isn't about reputation, who does a degree for status???? those are wrong reasons

I'm in my 3rd year doing dentistry at kings and trust me, it's not worth it if you don't enjoy it. I love all the practicals and the biology theory, which makes the tons of hardwork and endless exams worth it. The course is soo stressfull and the job is hard, trust me if i was doing the degree for "status" i'd quit straight away, its not worth doing for such lame reasons

Which one would you say is most reputable? I don't want to get into a debate about the pros and cons of passion in Dentistry.
I'm saying you shouldn't have some stupid "reputation contest", do a degree because you love it not because of status. Also they are completely different fields, if your going for a finance job you can't do anything with a dentistry degree. If you wanna do dentistry you can't do anything with maths. You cant ****ing compare the two, they're completely different, different industries, different jobs. Its like saying whats more reputable being a musician or a orthapedic surgeon
The thread is not about what me or anyone else wants to do in higher education. It is related as to which degree is the more reputable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To me, Medicine is slightly more respected than dentistry and so that makes dentistry seem less respected than it perhaps should be.

That's not to say I don't respect dentistry, I just have a bit more respect for medicine and I will always be comparing the two.
Original post by brittanna
To me, Medicine is slightly more respected than dentistry and so that makes dentistry seem less respected than it perhaps should be.

That's not to say I don't respect dentistry, I just have a bit more respect for medicine and I will always be comparing the two.

I agree the Medicine has and deserves more respect than Dentistry. However what are your views with the degrees provided?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm saying you shouldn't have some stupid "reputation contest", do a degree because you love it not because of status. Also they are completely different fields, if your going for a finance job you can't do anything with a dentistry degree. If you wanna do dentistry you can't do anything with maths. You cant ****ing compare the two, they're completely different, different industries, different jobs. Its like saying whats more reputable being a musician or a orthapedic surgeon

I would say an orthopaedic surgeon unless we're talking famous musicians. You can actually go into finance with dentistry to be honest. Anyway can you answer the question please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree the Medicine has and deserves more respect than Dentistry. However what are your views with the degrees provided?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm slightly biased as I do a Maths degree, but I'm going to say Maths.
Reply 34
Well Maths is really boring and I heard Dentistry has a 15% suicide rate so I'll say Engineering.
Original post by Fideo
Well Maths is really boring and I heard Dentistry has a 15% suicide rate so I'll say Engineering.

Yeah the highest of any job in the UK.

Interesting views, maths can also be done on a calculator, and Engineering is a dead field in the UK leading to call centre jobs though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brittanna
I'm slightly biased as I do a Maths degree, but I'm going to say Maths.

Nice. Can you provide reasons for this please (interested to know)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stupidity if you think all maths can be done on wolfram alpha and a calculator. Maths at degree is much more abstract than calculating a few values

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Isn't it a bit apples and pears, like they're not remotely the same and shouldn't you choose what you fancy. Personally I would avoid dentistry, poking about in saliva filled buccal cavities, interacting with stroppy hung over dental nurses and being sued at the drop of a hat by upper middle class pile of pus patients. Go for maths, cerebral and you can turn your hand to many a thing with this degree.
Reply 39
Yeah the highest of any job in the UK.

Interesting views, maths can also be done on a calculator, and Engineering is a dead field in the UK leading to call centre jobs though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a good point on Maths, and for the people who will say it's more complicated than that well then it can be done on a scientific calculator. I'd rather work in a call centre than look at people's mouths all day. Although dental assistants tend to be incredibly hot so it's got that going for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending